Mortar Poll

Get rid of the mortar.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Application-1

test bester
Because we have a lot of complaints lately on the mortar I would like to start a poll on the mortar.
Just choose a vote and we will see what comes up, you can debate the mortar somewhere ELSE! This is about the suggestions that I make in the poll.

I think we are going to see a lot of yes get rid of the mortar votes so if the devs can do something with this.

Pure

I was thinking more like a thread where u post pics of tking and the devs can bann or something but if this works il be happy :D

A2

Lower the damage effect of mortars on team-mates, because mortar has a larger damage radius and team-mates in that radius are bound to get hit. So IMO, lower damage on team-mates

Immanent

What's a hotfix? I voted no.
Can't help but address:
Lower the damage effect of mortars on team-mates, because mortar has a larger damage radius and team-mates in that radius are bound to get hit. So IMO, lower damage on team-mates
I think it might only further promote tking due to less damage on team mates. I just wanted to know if you voted on that basis.

qqchurch

Nerf it or change its mechanics completely. It's funny to insta-gimp a lot of people with the mortar, but it lost it's novelty once everybody started using it.

Propkid

^True, sent became potentially weaker since the mortar. However it became somewhat easier (emphasis on the somewhat) for the rookies to use. IMO it is a good change; the learning curve of the heavy aspect of the game has been smoothened and the classes were balanced.

Mightysheep, when will you realize that everyone loves mortar and that they just hate idiots like you. (lol ima make this my sig)

MightySheep

Mightysheep, when will you realize that everyone loves mortar and that they just hate idiots like you. (lol ima make this my sig)
this poll does not agree with you

not that use of the word 'everyone' would ever be correct anyways !

I appreciate your sig, I feel special now

Xtreme

shaska's bff
The main reason I think the mortar is causing problems is because of the current map design. Since heavies stay at home for the most part, any attempt to mortar the stand could potentially harm teammates because of the infrastructure surrounding the stand. On maps like zenith and fallout it's not too much of a problem because the stand is relatively open, but think of nivo, moon, frost and stygian and just try to imagine what went wrong there and why there are so many complaints. Perhaps the best option at this point is to nerf it slightly and design future maps to accommodate the mortar in some way. Other than that, teamkilling will persist because people who play this game are stubborn and close-minded and seem to show a profound interest in the points they amass by the end of 25 minutes.

Gravis

Eh, I understand the reasons for the "Yes", but honestly that makes this poll unbalanced. Basically, all 3 options together equal the people who say "No". Maybe you could simply combine all three Yes options into one (delete, nerf, or replace)?

oath2link

its funny because people think the mortar is OP. yet the old sent cluster (GLII that we had as of a few months ago) actually did more damage. it was just more controllable, and led to less tking. I honestly got more kills with the old cluster, where you could actually use them as land mines, which made flag tanking fun, especially in tight quarters. now, as primarily a hof, idc which weapon we use, but i can say from extensive use, the mortar is NOT OP. the slowest firing weapon who's primarily effective only on ground and requires timing to shoot, not to detonate, and actually does lower max damage then the old clusters. the old clusters had little effectiveness in the air, as does mortar, but with cluster, you could spray. mortar requires more precision than most people think. and really guys, tking mostly happens if you've got 5% hp huddling around the flag or an enemy, so you're going to die anyways.

Application-1

test bester
Eh, I understand the reasons for the "Yes", but honestly that makes this poll unbalanced. Basically, all 3 options together equal the people who say "No". Maybe you could simply combine all three Yes options into one (delete, nerf, or replace)?
What you did there was logical thinking, I hope everyone can do that. Just added them ebcause the top one is my prefered solution.

Gravis

its funny because people think the mortar is OP. yet the old sent cluster (GLII that we had as of a few months ago) actually did more damage. it was just more controllable, and led to less tking. I honestly got more kills with the old cluster, where you could actually use them as land mines, which made flag tanking fun, especially in tight quarters. now, as primarily a hof, idc which weapon we use, but i can say from extensive use, the mortar is NOT OP. the slowest firing weapon who's primarily effective only on ground and requires timing to shoot, not to detonate, and actually does lower max damage then the old clusters. the old clusters had little effectiveness in the air, as does mortar, but with cluster, you could spray. mortar requires more precision than most people think. and really guys, tking mostly happens if you've got 5% hp huddling around the flag or an enemy, so you're going to die anyways.

I don't think that's the problem; rather it is the explosions range that basically hits anything within reach. The problem with nerfing the explosion's range is that now this long-range, slow-firing weapon must be super precise to actually hit anything, which will make it practically useless since you won't be able to hit any decent med/light. That's the one good thing about it because it makes people actually think about where they're going to land/ski. In any case, I'm sure I could get to that level of precision eventually, but nerfing it in that manner (take away is explosion range) basically turns it into a GL with more damage. The one thing I do like about it is how well it works against cappers, which I've seen has made them better players with their timing and decisions of where they're gonna go. Thats a big plus in my book since it makes people try to think of new ways to approach these problems.

Ultimately, instead of bitching about the OP'ness of the weapon, we should honestly make it a campaign to help people understand its purpose. The errors I see caused are by players, not the weapon itself. If we just continue insulting and trashing people using the mortar it'll only cause the opposite effect and they won't WANT to learn anything. I mean 99% of TKs are caused by bad calculations and not everyone is experienced or a genius enough to work things out (and a bit of luck). Hell, I still remember how long it took me to get any decent with the mortar in Tribes, especially in TDM when I pretty much banned myself from using it altogether. So yeah, give these people some time and advice instead of raging and treating them like pieces of *chocolate cookies*. Work with them to better their skills and decisions.

If I HAD to choose for the mortar to be nerfed, I don't think I'd mind a small damage reduction in exchange for more repelling force as stefy mentioned. Otherwise, the weapon is fine.

Voltage

Puzzlemaster
Oh no, don't get rid of the mortar. Its rocks!!!
In my opinion, If there is something you want to get rid off, it should be the players that misuse the mortar.

Status
Not open for further replies.