Missing MAp.

anak

VIP
voraega was my map. it's too big for itself because the flagstands are in the corners, making it impossible to grab the flag and escape without ODing. torque can't increase map dimensions, so the map is basically dead. making a smaller version would be too much effort with zero reward.
Where are you BOSS?...
Here Like pls :D
that turret was part of GloriousWolf's tower defense game.

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
voraega was my map. it's too big for itself because the flagstands are in the corners, making it impossible to grab the flag and escape without ODing. torque can't increase map dimensions, so the map is basically dead. making a smaller version would be too much effort with zero reward.

so you cant move the flag stands then?

anak

VIP
you can move the flagstands, but you design the map around those flagstands - moving them elsewhere would remove the flow and the routes you designed in their initial position

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
OSS looked cool and seemed cool in theory but that map had so many flaws. Maps are scrapped and evolve for a reason, you just have to trust in the devs and the PT's.

MJ1284

OSS looked cool and seemed cool in theory but that map had so many flaws. Maps are scrapped and evolve for a reason, you just have to trust in the devs and the PT's.
QFT.

You can't say for certain wheter some design works or not if you don't test it. Sure, each design has their own pros and cons, but only those designs where pros outweight cons by large margin get popular.

Let's take a look at popular maps (ie. Frostbyte, Zenith, Fallout...I think Elegiac is pretty popular too?)
+ Lots of space to maneuver, lots of variety in cap routes
- Easy to rabbit, especially if only 1-3 people bother to chase (happens in Public)
+ Larger map size means different roles are equally important (Egrabs & Offense & Defense & Chasers, you name it), meaning that organized defense and well timed Stand Clear + Cap works wonders. This also means you can work your way around with practically any weapon/armor loadout.
+ Despite having high speed caproutes, large map size means Offense/Chasers have time to position themselves at enemy base and intercept enemy flag carrier (even after previous flag return + respawn).
- Then again, it never fails to enrage me when I'm running long grab route just to see some first-timer llamaing the flag & dying instantly.
+ While llamaing is possible, it's discouraged by NOT having huge bowl right next to flagstand (well, except Elegiac.. kinda).

And now the less popular/overplayed maps people are bored of (ie. Nivosus, Moonshine, Forgotten)
- Front OD routes are too dominant, they're easy to spam and return route is faster than most (if not all) sideroutes.
- Too easy to llama, thanks to high flag stand + bowls surrounding the base
+ On the other hand newbloods will feel themselves "useful" when they can cap too.
- Small map size (except Forgotten), if you're expected to chase and Base D you're pretty much *danced* if someone grabs flag while you're respawning. By the time you respawn capper is halfway home.
- Small map size are also likely to turn into DM fest, you can get from base to base fast so it's little too easy to keep constant Offense on enemy base (defense has little to no time to regroup for another wave).
+ Then again, standoffs won't turn into boring waiting game because there's always some action going on.
- Sentinel capping is TOO DAMN OPED on small maps.

Sure, I might be biased towards Frostbyte, Fallout etc. but I just like them way better than Sentisus or Llamashine.
[/My 2 cents]

anak

VIP
what we actually need is a simple map, one that a) has straightforward, smooth bowls without little "sweet spots" in the terrain that impede most cap routes and b) terrain that was designed for easily gaining momentum rather than another map with it's own freaking skill curve. oh and less fog. a lot less.