Midair Fully Launches

yami

Private Tester
Patrons of this forum will remember Project Z from years ago. Today the game that spawned out of this community finally launched. Our own boys did it. Go play their fu ck ing game.

k e v i n

Private Tester
So today is my second day of playing midair. I'm very mixed. The shooting and MA'ing people is sort of tough (which I can get used to). But I've got a problem with the skiing and dueling (TDM). While skiing in the air, I can't seem to turn directions if I press A or D, or even if i look in a different direction with my mouse, I just keep going straight'ish. Also, while playing around in a TDM server, while jumping in the air, I can't dodge left and right (A & D). I guess i'm just way to use to legions movement (especially the movement when dueling in the air). But to me, it seems like legions had way more "freedom of movement".

I also hate that I have to look for health pads or suicide myself to get back my full health.

I played *Tribes: Ass-End* a while back for about two or three weeks or so (my first time playing any tribes games). Because of the movement (similar to what I mentioned above with midair) I ended up quitting it. This game makes me feel like i'm playing tribes ascend all over again. I'll give midair a few more games, but I really don't see myself playing this for more than a couple of weeks. Where as I could still see myself playing legions for a long time to come.

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
I talked *chocolate cookies* about it for a while without fully playing it but its not bad. Its definitely more technical and most importantly not forgiving at all. Its nothing like legions. Its probably twice that amount of grind legions was because there's more stuff to learn. But its not bad. If you were looking for high action, high impact games that feel really rewarding, you kinda feel underwhelmed at first. Once you grind out the tech and get good it gets better though.

I would say Legions is more rewarding for the effort you put in and more attention-captivating and midair is more technical and methodical. The shooting is different, skiing is different, passing is different, and the overall metagame around the positions is nothing like Legions. I like it, I'll play it for a while, and its a good game, but it doesn't give you that magic feeling like when you play Legions. The nostalgia playing with old legions people is fire though.

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
Also when you're skiing, don't press W. Ever. And there's a maximum falling speed. Its weird to get used to. But only tap W to reposition, you shouldn't be actively holding forward while you're skiing (you'll lose height and upwards momentum).

Armageddon

Teapot
This
"Also when you're skiing, don't press W. Ever"
I've been playing tribes games for 20 years now and i've always held W, it's more than a habit now it's instinct. Movement feels so terribly slow and overall janky.

It's a "New" IP that brings nothing new, it can't even do things better than the game/games it's trying to be. I hate to say that because we all know the developers and the passion they have for our genre, they made it possible for us to play legions after IA *chocolate cookies* the bed. They have heart but they lack innovation.
They introduced the skill tree and a paid way around it, thats such a bad idea for a F2P game. You have an influx of brand new people joining games with people that have everything unlocked and the new people get slaughtered. Thats such a good way to drive people away.
The game is at best a tribes clone in a f2p model with p2w features, the worst possible situation it could find itself in.

yami

Private Tester
The unlocks are fairly quick. In about 5 hours I've been able to go through almost a full branch that I wanted. It's easier because I know exactly what I want and a new player wouldn't. Unfortunately I think it has to be f2p to be accessible, I wouldn't expect many people to buy it to try it out.

k e v i n

Private Tester
The unlocks are fairly quick. In about 5 hours I've been able to go through almost a full branch that I wanted. It's easier because I know exactly what I want and a new player wouldn't. Unfortunately I think it has to be f2p to be accessible, I wouldn't expect many people to buy it to try it out.
It should definitely have a F2P route. It's hard to say this, but i'm glad I didn't pay for this game as i'm probably going to stop playing it now.

Also when you're skiing, don't press W. Ever. And there's a maximum falling speed. Its weird to get used to. But only tap W to reposition, you shouldn't be actively holding forward while you're skiing (you'll lose height and upwards momentum).
I tried looking up some youtube videos on how to ski (skate) I tried playing some more games but I just can't with the movement.

i've always held W, it's more than a habit now it's instinct.
I'm pretty much the same way. I'm either trying to press W to go forward or A/D to move to the side while in the air to land properly on a slope (which seems like it should be easier to do)

All in all, the game seems fun, and I would've stuck with it for a bit longer. But it's literally the movement that's making me quit the game.

pilot

After long waiting for Midair F2P with huge hopes because Legions:OD is such an epic game, Midair went swiftly to the trash bin. The game responsiveness is unacceptably poor and delayed, the game pace and walking speeds are slow, what happened to "freedom of movement" with this clunky dumbed-down control, where is thrust-down, where is the crazy agility in the air, where's the mad speed & 'where to input skillz,' this is a worse tribes ascend since it looks like crap too. Legions-OD will remain the last best true FPS-Z to me.

Jaymyster

It's truly a shame when the "freedom of movement" is more apparent and enjoyable when playing Pharah in Overwatch, than playing the lightest class with all jet augments equipped in Midair. To me, the freedom of movement was the "you only had one job" of the game. Imo they sold-out on having a likeness to early tribes titles in desperation to secure a strong player-base but it backfired. And so, an FPS-Z with the speed and likeness of Legions has yet to be exposed to the masses, thus keeping this game a true diamond in the rough.

Last edited:

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
It's truly a shame when the "freedom of movement" is more apparent and enjoyable when playing Pharah in Overwatch, than playing the lightest class with all jet augments equipped in Midair. To me, the freedom of movement was the "you only had one job" of the game. Imo they sold-out on having a likeness to early tribes titles in desperation to secure a strong player-base but it backfired. And so, an FPS-Z with the speed and likeness of Legions has yet to be exposed to the masses, thus keeping this game a true diamond in the rough.
I was extremely disappointed when I realised they were just remaking Tribes for the n'teenth time. I really wish there was something like Legions again. :( Oh well. Rest in peace sweet prince.

k e v i n

Private Tester
I was extremely disappointed when I realised they were just remaking Tribes for the n'teenth time. I really wish there was something like Legions again. :( Oh well. Rest in peace sweet prince.
With how video games are going now a days, Legions probably could've been an E-sport game. Just imagine how famous you would've became. :cool:

k e v i n

Private Tester
When i went to their steam page, there's a lot of mixed reviews. Some good with a thumbs up, and some bad with a thumbs down. I guess it's everyone's personal opinion on the game, but i did read that the game doesn't have much players left/it's dead.

Armageddon

Teapot
You're still marked as a Developer, get greaper to put an old version of L:O out for shits and giggles, like pre-pack and new weapons era... you know the fun legions era.

Fixious

Test Lead
The ideal situation is to have a few key people pool their money together and get the IP (hell I'd throw in 2-3k to get the ball rolling), polish up Legions as best they can, slap that version on Steam for a very reasonable price, and use that money to help fund L:O 2. The money from Steam would be very negligible, and L:O 2 would very likely be a passion project (i.e. slow development and mostly volunteer). But it's the most likely scenario should anyone actually want to start work on continuing the game.