M134A1 Vulcan Minigun

[Mods: Wasn't sure if this belonged here or in the suggestions thread. Feel free to move it.]

First time modeling anything. Not too hard, actually. I realize it doesn't look like much, but I haven't a shadow of a doubt it will appear perhaps 20 times better with textures, skins, particles, and animations. Take a glance, tell me what you think. The finished product will debut in my server. We CG lovers need variety.

If you're clever, you'll notice the ammunition housing and shell ejection slide located on the upper-right area of the main firing housing. This is where I intend to place the heat grill found on the original chaingun, just for a little nostalgia (and because the main housing seems a bit bare without it). Spent casings are ejected from the top-rear of the housing so as to reduce eye-target distraction, which plagues a handful of new players I know. I decided maybe a flash-hider (fully functional - less particles and much cleaner flash) was in order because it would make it easier to trace since the muzzle-flashes sometimes block tracers. Futuristic f-h so it would fit with the idea of a futuristic yet physics-reliant game.

...Sadly, all of these advantages make up for a lack in power. Damage of the CG vs. Vulcan would come to be around 3::2. However, the Vulcan has a 15% increase in fire rate, possessing superior carbon-mesh stainless steel to provide higher tolerance for overheat temperatures but slightly more spread than the CG. The Vulcan also possesses superior range due to lengthier barrels. Also, the Vulcan's arming delay is 20 miliseconds longer than the CG due to an improved bolt-catch/release system allowing for smoother firing. The f-h also serves another purpose -- as it rotates, it acts as an air-intake, thus cooling the weapon significantly and muffling the blastwave caused when explosive gases leave the muzzle and come in contact with air. The result is a minigun fitted with invisble suppressors. (probably gonna take this idea out - disregard it if you wish).

On a side note, I have absolutely no idea how to create the animations for it. I can do texturing but rather poorly. If anyone's interested in helping me out with the anims and textures, PM me. If not, looks like I'm on my own.

[Edit]: .4 and .5 represent Vulcan V.2
[Edit2]: Skinned it. Disregard the poor quality as the colors are meant to give one a basic idea of what color and hue would be placed where. .DDS editing would fix this issue as well.
[Edit3]: Updated entire Minigun. Fresh start, overall better quality. Added complete housing made to fit together with the weapon mount located on a Legionnaire's arm. Changed color scheme to scratched black, green, and stainless steel. Added a casing-ejector on the upper-right of the housing. Entire thing appears grainy in C4D and screenies due to a weird resolution bug with C4d. Keep in mind that I don't have shadows or 3d-rendering enabled on C4d; this deteriorates the visual quality in screenies. No biggie, it'll look just fine in-game. Still haven't animated it yet.

~Sky

Attachments

• M134 Vulcan .9.PNG
    M134 Vulcan .9.PNG
    104.3 KB · Views: 47
  • M134 Vulcan .10.PNG
    M134 Vulcan .10.PNG
    156.4 KB · Views: 49

stefygraff

Private Tester
What about changing it a bit and making it a skybolt wep?
Animation is related to the DTS, correct me if im wrong

Har har har, Karn. :p

The whole idea behind the Vulcan is that we can get a little originality along the lines of the CG, Stefy, whilst giving players an opportunity to experience a new but *necessary* weapon. Besides, my server would already have a bolt weapon, and I personally prefer the original four weapons over these new ones (So, honestly, I'd prolly just take the bolt out of my server).

I've been watching animation tutorials for Cinema 4D. Hopefully I can slap this together in three or four days. On the other hand, I still need a texturer. I'll shoot TroopyTrooper a PM/ask around in TS3.

57thEnryu

What about changing it a bit and making it a skybolt wep?
Animation is related to the DTS, correct me if im wrong
yeah, look at the original model and there are animations like "spin" or "fire" or "activate" or whatnot. You need to make animations for each of these things with the new model for it to work properly in game.

Should I incorporate and tweak the anims and then texture? Or vice-versa?

Made some serious edits to the original design, layout, volume, etc.

[Edit]: I've gotten the barrels (six in all), barrel stabilizer, and flash-hider to spin at the same time and at the same speed, but the speed varies due to an unstable hand. I can't imagine that the spinup and spundown speeds for the CG isn't mandated by the config for said weapon, so I'm gunning (lulcwutaidider) on the idea that I'll be able to create smooth spin-up and spin-down animations. Is this method possible (controlling animation speed with config for CG, which would be copy/pasted for the Vulcan)?

Belberith

Legions Developer
You need to make animations for each of these things with the new model for it to work properly in game.
Actually if the engine isn't able to find an animation you try to play, it doesn't crash, it just stops playing the previous animation and displays the default state of the model.

I just need to know if I can edit the speed of spin-up and spin-down for the Vulcan via the CG config.

Hmmmmmmuuububububuuu. I wonder if I can just take the CG model and change the body design. Hmm.

57thEnryu

Actually if the engine isn't able to find an animation you try to play, it doesn't crash, it just stops playing the previous animation and displays the default state of the model.
yeah, but that isn't really the model working properly. Like I can just take a model with no animations whatsoever and it will appear in game fine, but it will just sit there stagnant. So yes, it wont crash the game, but it wont work "properly" as a model

Le sigh. Yer'll chattering away and not answering my questions. Until someone offers solid answers, please refrain from all else gab if possible. Thanks guys. ;)

I was tempted to but I didn't want to risk annoying anyone; I think if Pop had any interest in this he would have offered help long ago. I'll chat him up in TS3. Thanks for the info. Only problem is that I'm using Cinema 4D. Not sure if he's used it or even heard of it before.

Meh. These animations are some pretty tricky stuff.

stefygraff

Private Tester
Man, im not trying to kill your enthusiasm or anything, but you're working on a new server mod, I guess something similar to Defenders Meltdown...
All this work for new weapon shapes is a waste of your time, trust me.
If you want to do something good, work on the Plasma and Mortar shapes, people might use them if their cool enough ;)

Arch

Legions Developer
Man, im not trying to kill your enthusiasm or anything, but you're working on a new server mod, I guess something similar to Defenders Meltdown...
All this work for new weapon shapes is a waste of your time, trust me.
If you want to do something good, work on the Plasma and Mortar shapes, people might use them if their cool enough ;)
So what if it's a server mod. He said earlier that he was going to run his own server, therefore, it's not a waste of his time.

One, thats pretty much the muzzle of the heavy's minigun from TF2.
Two, we honestly don't need another CG in this game. It's already pretty strong, and I don't see a need to add another weap that just fits you're own playstyle.
Three, you're more than welcome to use it on your own server, but I don't want it it on pubs or pugs.
Four, you've done your math and calculations all wrong. You didn't put in the DPS factor from the added fire speed. It will easily outdamage the CG we have right now.
(The CG lost over 40%+ power after legions came back up, but in return they added some more fire speed) What did 12 damage to Outriders now does only 6-7.
Also if you plan to host your own server, make it central please.

TF2 ripped the muzzle off of the Marine Corps design.

I don't expect anyone to even consider adding this to the universal game. This weapon is meant to replace the CG in my server.

Oh, I highly doubt anyone would ever want to use it in any case. People are more comfortable with things the Devs make, and I guess I can't blame them.

I can't make it central. Eastern only. I live on the east coast and I'd rather have the best connection to my server, especially if I'll be paying to let others play a free game online (which is what the devs to anyway). If 40-70 ping is unacceptable for you, don't play on my server; we have TX Hotswap for that.

The whole carbon-fiber steel part is part of a lorestory about the Vulcan. There's no way I can change what kind of barrel is used - at least, not in legions. In short, the fire sound will be changed to what an M134 sounds like. The range will be changed as well.

All in all, this was just a little project of mine. Just seeing how much I can do in how much time. Hopefully I'll finish that mac port and get out of your hair. ;)

[Keep in mind that the muzzle is significantly smaller than the housing. The perspectives are way off in the images.]

DeadPixel

I reckon the green in the model is a little out of place, doesn't blend with the rest of the colour scheme. Other than that, nice job!

[Edit] Just read the edit notes ;p