Legions2UDK

Fixious

Test Lead
Frostbite heightmap in UDK (scaling is a bit off).

MhFMD.jpg

Fixious

Test Lead
I've been able to export the heightmaps using the test client. I then converted them to the right format for UDK, imported them, messed with the scaling options and voila. Legions maps in UDK. Scaling is the biggest issue, since I have no idea what the right value is (might be in the mission file). My last attempt was at Gorge, and I noticed when I upscaled it a bit the map actually looked pretty damn cool. It has a nice canyon feel to it (skiing and jetting physics courtesy of Project Freefall).

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
i'd be very impressed if we manage to get legions like movement ported over too.

could the scaling problems be due to the weird legions scale? (raider being 2m tall for example)

Fixious

Test Lead
If I had to guess, I'd say so.
Legions could have perfect scaling and I'd still have issues since I don't really know what the values are, or what the equivalent is in UDK. Most of the Legions maps I tried seemed possible to scale properly except Gorge for some reason. Zenith was also a bit wonky, but I didn't spend a whole lot of time on it. I had the same issue when porting over T1 maps. Canyon Crusade looked perfect, while Hildebrand was like Gorge. One interesting thing is that the tool I use to convert the heightmaps into UDK format has the option to change the altitude before I even mess with scaling stuff, so maybe the mission files have that info.

It's also important to note that while I'm using the Project Freefall code, the values aren't correct. I can't seem to get the right gravity values to work, which is why it looks floaty.

I'm not really expecting anything to come of this. It's his code and I'm using Legions maps. Unless the two partner up, which is pretty much impossible, this will remain just a hobby of mine. I'd post the steps to do this yourself but I'm not sure if it's really allowed.

Fixious

Test Lead
If I could I'd import T1/T2 heightmaps into Legions, but the import heightmap option just isn't working for me.

:(

Fixious

Test Lead
Triad said I could post the instructions, so here they are.

1. Download UDK (hurdur). If you want skiing and jetpacks, download this version. I'd recommend watching the video for more info on everything.
2. Open up FELT or the Legions test client and play the map you want the heightmap from.
3. Hit F11, Window >> Terrain Terraform Editor. Then go to File >> Export Terraform Data. It'll export a .png image, which is the heightmap.
4. Open that .png file in Photoshop and save it as a .tif file. I'm pretty sure you can just save it with the default settings.
5. Download HMCS. Once open, go to File>>Open and set the file format to .tif, and search for the heightmap you saved in step 4.
6. Save it as a Unreal G16 Heightmap BMP image. Because I'm fabulous, here are a few Legions maps already converted to G16 Unreal BMP.
7. Open UDK Editor (not UDK Game), choose New Map. Doesn't really matter what map template you choose after that, but I'd recommend choosing one of the Lighting ones simply because they have lighting and shadows in place. You'd have to add that stuff manually on Blank Map.
8. After you've chosen a template, close any other open windows, then choose the Terrain Editing Mode button the left toolbar (looks like mountains or some crap).
9. Once that window is open, next to the Import button select Heightmap Only, then press Import. Open the G16 bmp you saved.
10. DON'T FREAK OUT. The map will look very very messed up. This is due to scaling issues. As I've said before I have no idea what the proper values are, so you're gonna have to guesstimate from here. If you don't see the map simply move around a bit or press F to turn off fog.
11. Right click anywhere on the map and select Terrain Properties (top option). In the box select the Display tab. Leave X and Y the same. Z is the one you want to edit. Anything from 20-35 seems right for most Legions maps, though I may have selected 40 for one of them (I can't remember. Again, guesstimations. ). Press enter/click away for the changes to appear.

That's pretty much it. Of course, the maps lack any terrain textures. Those can be added using the content browser. If you need instructions on how to do that I can provide them. If you're using the regular UDK kit you shouldn't have any issues. If you're using the PFF source however, there are some things you should know. If you play the level from within the Editor, DON'T HIT ESCAPE TO LEAVE. Open console and type exit, which will put you back into editting mode. ESC crashes the entire client. You'll likely notice skiing/jetpacks also aren't applied automatically. This can be fixed by hitting the binocular icon at the top tool bar (left of the content browser) and going to the World Info actor (likely very last one). Select it, then hit properties. Under Game Type, select FFCTFGame for both Default Game and Game Type dropdown boxes. If you watched the video from step one you'd know this.

Fixious

Test Lead
While UDK and CryEngine (I have sucessfully ported Elegiac into CryEngine 3) look prettier, Torque is simply better suited for a game like Tribes/Legions. Especially from a network standpoint. Plus the real challenge would be recreating the physics in a different engine, which would be a huge undertaking I imagine. I think simply upgrading the current engine (Torque Juggernaut) to the latest version of Torque 3D would be a much smarter move.

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
I think simply upgrading the current engine (Torque Juggernaut) to the latest version of Torque 3D would be a much smarter move.
From what I have heard it is easier than moving to another engine but still a pain in the ass to do, as I would assume moving, updating and rewriting a *chocolate cookies* ton of code would be. But I very much do agree, T3D is amazing.

Here is Nivosus rendered in T3D (top obviously) and in TGEA (bottom obviously)
iBAihWMM2VoKX.jpg