Legions Cap-off Contest

xchris2168x

OK guys, so me and poiuyt were playing around last night and I had a great idea based off of what we were doing. We were taking turns on an empty serv where one player was capping, while the other defended the flag. There were 3 tries per person and then we switched sides. So the winner was whoever got the most caps out of the 6 tries.

I thought it would be cool if we made a giant bracket with all interested players, and see who wins the tournament. It's just a rough idea, and if people are confused about how the "game" was played, let me know and I can try to explain it better/show you in game.

Thoughts?

phanakapan

Private Tester
My thought is: defensive players, especially decent HoFs, will win because defense is easier than capping at the moment.

When I saw the thread topic I thought you were going to propose some kind of H-O-R-S-E style competition with people doing caps and having the other player either copy them or outdo them with a faster or more technical route. A third party could judge, or it could all be done through frapses and everyone could judge. I dunno...

hey guys i'd love to take part in this sort of thing. jus message me when its gonna happen cos my frikin accounts gone nuts. i like phanakapan's idea

Propkid

+1 on this, but I suggest we pick only one map to do this on, and it can't be something like Frostbyte, cos a good HoF would just dominate there. Also, by cap do you actually mean capture or just grab?

what about forgotten, moonshine or nivosus? those maps have some of the best capping routes in the game. it will be very interesting to watch and to take part in

A2

I like the idea. But as phan said, defending is way easier compared to capping (one frag combo can destroy everything), and the in that way, the competition will go in favor of the defenders.
One way we can work this out is, make the defender have some sort of limitation (like hmm use only -enter certain number- of rockets?) so that he has to use them at the right time or perfectly. Something like that. That's all I could think of right now, but I will post down some ideas when I get em'. (especially when I'm in the toilet ^_^)

the defenders could be restricted to chain guns only as using explosives will be extremely easy even in the cahse back to the attackers base

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
This is interesting. I like both the ideas of Chris and phanakapan. I've always wanted to try something like this. I remember playing H-O-R-S-E with one of my buddies and we would always think if the weirdest cap routes to try. Maybe sometime in the future we could get one of those games going in TS3.

For the 1v1 CTF we could easily restrict combos and snipers. 2v2 would be kinda cool too because more interesting things can be done (ie flag passes) and you would have to work in sync with a partner both on offense and defense.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
+1 on this, but I suggest we pick only one map to do this on, and it can't be something like Frostbyte, cos a good HoF would just dominate there. Also, by cap do you actually mean capture or just grab?
Are you able to play again?

Also, O/D balance (especially in 1 on 1 situations) is really irrelevant in this case, as the two players will do both (notice the "and then we switched sides" part in the OP). Can't get any fairer.

poiuyt580

OK guys, so me and poiuyt were playing around last night and I had a great idea based off of what we were doing. We were taking turns on an empty serv where one player was capping, while the other defended the flag. There were 3 tries per person and then we switched sides. So the winner was whoever got the most caps out of the 6 tries.

I thought it would be cool if we made a giant bracket with all interested players, and see who wins the tournament. It's just a rough idea, and if people are confused about how the "game" was played, let me know and I can try to explain it better/show you in game.

Thoughts?
I don't know why you would post this. This is completely inappropriate and cool. By the way, how about grabs + successful caps? Winner could be based off that, and have a defense team that never changes.

xchris2168x

I have two ideas on the maps, not sure which one is better. One is just to use the same map throughout the tournament, and the second is to use different maps for each round of the tournament (so the final match would be the toughest map to cap or something like that). That would prevent people who own at capping on one map from owning the whole tournament.

And I mean actually capping the flag.. that way if you want to chase instead of playing on-flag defense, the choice is up to you. Not to mention getting the flag back to base is vital to capping in general.

poiuyt580

I have two ideas on the maps, not sure which one is better. One is just to use the same map throughout the tournament, and the second is to use different maps for each round of the tournament (so the final match would be the toughest map to cap or something like that). That would prevent people who own at capping on one map from owning the whole tournament.

And I mean actually capping the flag.. that way if you want to chase instead of playing on-flag defense, the choice is up to you. Not to mention getting the flag back to base is vital to capping in general.
Toughest map to cap is...Gorge.