Hurricane Irene

Dacil

Just wanted to give my well wishes to those of us who are going through/ will go through hurricane Irene. Please be safe and I hope all your homes and family members are spared!

It'd be cool if any of us could get some video or photos, but please don't do it if you'll end up getting hurt! I'll probably try and get some footage myself depending on the severity (looks like it's gonna be worse than/as bad as Floyd and worse than the one I went through in Florida).

Again, be safe please and God bless!!

;)

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
You remember Floyd! Good times (not really, I was like 5 years old).
Yeah I'll try to get some footage. :D

Stay safe everyone!

anak

VIP
IM STAYIN HERE, DAT HURRIKEN CANT MAKE MY LEAVE

we're gonna get rain and some wind. best of luck to those closer to the east coast.

Arch

Legions Developer
IM STAYIN HERE, DAT HURRIKEN CANT MAKE MY LEAVE

we're gonna get rain and some wind. best of luck to those closer to the east coast.
Where do you live? That's pretty much what we're getting. Hopefully the 100+ ft. high tree in our back yard is strong enough.

RainPilot

stinky bear
All the statuses on Facebook are " *dance* Irene, I'm still getting bent all weekend".

GENERATION, I AM PROUD.

Also, make sure you guys have a few gallons of water. If you want to do it the ghetto style, clean out your bathtub really good and fill it with water. Get lots of protein food incase you have to swim to safety, move all your important stuff upstairs, seal your doors / windows. Charge all your phones, get batteries, listen to the radio, do not open the door. If you live in an area prone to flooding, leave. There will probably be little to no help during the storm. Rescue organiazations will not start rescuing people unless weather/conditions permit so you're on your own. IF you live a few blocks from a creek or river, consider leaving. The moon is in such a way that the tides are higher than normal AND we had nothing but rain this month so the rivers and creeks are still high-ish AND the ground is saturated, which means the expected 10 inches of rain will have no were to go since most, if not all sewers lead to the river. Don't forget that there will be about a foot of water since all the drainage from the roofs and such will go right into the street.

Some other things, consider putting sandbags in your car since a car and most SUVs/trucks can be swept away in 12 inches of water. Go to google earth and see if you live on a hill or at the bottom or simply walk outside and see. If you want to be sure, park your car in an elevated parking lot downtown and take a bus or train home. Never drive into moving water since the water is murky and never really know how deep it is with mud and sorts. Turn around, don't drown. If your house starts to flood, firstly move all important tings up stairs, get adequate supplies, and make sure everyone is safe before you start trying to push the water out. Get a thing of sealant or try using duck tape for the doors, windows, and cracks. Try pushing the shallow water out with a broom, the deeper water with a bucket.

Expect tons of trees, debris, and other junk to be flying around since the winds are expected to be around 70-80mph. Either stay put and hide under a bed, or wait until there is a break in the storm and try to go to a neighbors house IF it's not totally flooded outside and windy. Move people away from the window, put things like refidgerators, tables, bookcases in front of the windows for protection.

That's all for now, good luck guys, I'll see you on the other side!

Where do you live? That's pretty much what we're getting. Hopefully the 100+ ft. high tree in our back yard is strong enough.
Dude lol, most of the ground is already saturated which means the ground is softer and the branches can be ripped out easier. Good luck..

GameDevMich

Honored Hero
Be safe all. I lived in Orlando during the big three: Charlie, Francis and Jeanne. All three sucked and directly affected someone I knew in a very negative way. Also, awesome advice from RainPilot. All spot on. Just remember, NEVER TAPE YOUR WINDOWS. It does nothing to strengthen your glass during a strong gust and becomes even more dangerous if the window shatters.

Synista

Good luck East Coast...Stay safe you guys <3, Also, if you're gonna get a video or a photo.. Make sure you know you won't put yourself in any danger what-so-ever.

RainPilot

stinky bear
Be safe all. I lived in Orlando during the big three: Charlie, Francis and Jeanne. All three sucked and directly affected someone I knew in a very negative way. Also, awesome advice from RainPilot. All spot on. Just remember, NEVER TAPE YOUR WINDOWS. It does nothing to strengthen your glass during a strong gust and becomes even more dangerous if the window shatters.
Actually it you tape all your windows on the inside, all the glass will stick to the tape and prevent glass shards flying everywhere. I think one big piece that can be dodge is easier to dodge than thousands of them!

GameDevMich

Honored Hero
With gusts between 40-80 mph and branches flying through the window, you aren't dodging. A large shard of glass will impale you, several small ones will ping you. Trust me. Then again, if the storm is that bad you shouldn't be near windows to begin with.

RainPilot

stinky bear
With gusts between 40-80 mph and branches flying through the window, you aren't dodging. A large shard of glass will impale you, several small ones will ping you. Trust me. Then again, if the storm is that bad you shouldn't be near windows to begin with.
Well if you put something in front of your windows, it would be easier to clean up the glass at least. Either way you got glass in your face :/

Application-1

test bester
Good luck everyone blabla etc.

I once saw a tv program that was about people who take everything except their pets. Pretty horrible and a lot of people did that apparently. So, does still happen? And it was on animal planet so it is the truth!!!!!1oneone1!

Dacil

No hurricanes, no earthquakes, no tsunamis. Ah! One reason to love Australia!
royal...the east coast doesn't usually get them either XD..... ..... lol.....an earthquake is every 40 years or so for this area, and everyone I know hasn't felt one ever since they've been alive....and hurricanes...the last bad one we've had was over a decade ago