Game Modes

Which gametype would you like to see next in Legions: Overdrive?

• Deathmatch

Votes: 65 23.4%
  • Team Deathmatch

Votes: 106 38.1%
  • Hunters

Votes: 53 19.1%
  • Rabbit

Votes: 99 35.6%
  • Arena

Votes: 123 44.2%
  • Other (Please describe)

Votes: 28 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

A2

Arena sounds like Search and Destroy in the COD series. That game mode is awesome, but it scares the crap out of me when I'm the only one on my team up against 3+ opponents.
The best part is when everyone starts calling you a noob after you die.
Back on Topic: Rabbit. Loved it, still love it, dreaming about it.

Chi-Ro

Private Tester
"Screw Legions" was probably one of the most fun game mods I played before instantaction went down. It was basically skydiving for the flag with overdrive. The server was modded to have no damage so people could do infinite OD. One person would grab the enemy flag and OD up in a spiral so as to not go OOB. The rest of the players on this person's team would follow him/her with their OD. When the player with the flag had reached a sufficient height, he would toss the flag. Then the players following with OD would dive after the flag trying to grab it at extremely high speeds. It was fun to just watch these players dive bomb after the flag and how they would bounce off each other if they got too close due to their OD. Me and many others really liked this game mode. Though, it might not make it to the top of the list, I wish it would be possible for us to do it again.

You also get fun strategies like people going outrider to steal other peoples OD if they mess up and lose their own. Stuff like that. It really was a fun game mode.

You know what would pretty much give us all of the above back? Let us host our own servers and play whatever we like. :rolleyes:

Gheist

King of all Goblins
[...] You know what would pretty much give us all of the above back? Let us host our own servers and play whatever we like. :rolleyes:
Yes! Awesome idea! The devs certainly didn't think of that yet. Oh no, wait... I bet they did, and just don't let you because they're mean. Those bastards, preventing you from having your well-deserved fun! And that after all you did for them. They really should wake up.

Chi-Ro

Private Tester
Yes! Awesome idea! The devs certainly didn't think of that yet. Oh no, wait... I bet they did, and just don't let you because they're mean. Those bastards, preventing you from having your well-deserved fun! And that after all you did for them. They really should wake up.

I couldn't agree more!

stefygraff

Private Tester
Best thing, to please all of you, is to make a server that will have more game mods(idea from the blog post). This way we will have fun and decide on whats fun and whats not.

chrisc44890

I chose other so here's what im thinking, because of the jets something like the Halo gamemode: Jaugernaut (if i spelled it right) would be tricky and fun.

Siantlark

Juggernaut might be fun... Maybe. It doesn't seem like a really viable gamemode though.

Though a Prometheus game mode would be totally awesome.

DeathRayne

muahahaha everyone wants Arena mainly becuase its like Search and Destroy, Demolition (on AVA), or Elimination Pro >:] woot to Demo Pro's!

Ewrath

We need a "500" game mode. Instead of catching a ball, catch the flag.

I love the idea, but it is more of a mini-game IMO. You can probably go into a priv server and get it going, unless you are talking about a more extreme way of playing 500.( Screw Legions version?)

Astrum

Super Special R&D
Alright... I'm not going to vote since I'd prefer just to make an uber post. My opinions can basically be summed up by explaining what I think game types are good for, not only in terms of fun but also in terms of how it helps a player increase his or her skill. I've included all game types I've seen so far plus a few more. Let me know if I miss any and I'll add them and my opinions.

Deathmatch Variants:
  • Deathmatch: No. I've come to expect more from a game than "See target? Shoot target!" I'd much rather see game types which promote some sort of team coherency, skill based play, or objective based game types or a combination of all three. This game type stopped being interesting over a decade and a half ago. The only utility this (and TDM) has is the focus on combat effectiveness, yet it's trumped by the Duel, Arena, and (Team) Hunters game types. About the only good thing I can say about it is that map design is almost inconsequential so it will work with pretty much any map, and works with a relatively low player count.
  • Team Deathmatch: No. Same as above.
  • Arena: Yes conditionally. Unfortunately this is incredibly like Team Deathmatch with the only real difference being the penalty for dying. It does help with getting used to complex engagements. However, since this is quite rudimentary in many regards I'd only say yes to this if it were a subtype of Duel (like Argh's Duel Server) where the focus is on a very particular skill. Will work well with current maps and doesn't require an overly large player count.
  • Duel: Yes. Fun in the way a game of chess is fun. There's so much you can learn from other players. Energy conservation, aiming, dodging, situational awareness, tracking, behavioral prediction, terrain navigation, etc... In other words this isn't fun in a "guns blazing" sort of way, but in a more academic sort of way. Current maps are inadequate for this game type as there needs to be a large selection of varying terrain and sparse prefab placement. These sorts of maps would also work well for Arena if it were a subtype of Duel. Although this will work just fine with only two people!
Rabbit Variants:
  • Rabbit: Yes. This is an all around fun game type with a large bias towards chasing, running, and skiing tactics. Maps such as Blade Run and Forgotten would do well to not break the flow, however more maps would be needed for this game type. A medium player count is needed.
  • Team Rabbit: Yes. Very fun just like Rabbit only with the inclusion of team based gameplay which promotes effective passing and situational awareness. Maps and player counts for Rabbit will suffice here as well.
  • LakRabbit: Definite Yes. I'm biased here since this is probably my favorite game type, especially without splash damage. It's a lot of fun and focuses on precision, prediction, and quick thinking. A medium terrain with sufficient variability is all that's really needed, although prefab obstructions or large towers aren't great. Mirage, Zenith, and Frostbyte would suffice (from best to worst). A low player count is preferable at all times for this game type.
  • TeamLak: Yes. Adds a team play aspect but otherwise same as above.
Hunter Variants:
  • Hunters: Yes. Extremely fun and teaches players situational awareness and risk management. Simple to pick up and fun to play. It's like Deathmatch but with a purpose. To the person who said everyone would camp the nexus, not really. If you capture one flag five times then you will receive less points than if you capture five flags once. You will not want to be hanging around the nexus with five flags on you. Of course a nexus would be needed to add to the game as well as new or heavily modified maps. Player count would be optimal in the low to medium range.
  • Team Hunters: Yes. This is largely the same as above only with a more team oriented aspect. Sort of like Team Deathmatch but with a purpose.
Capture the Flag Variants:
  • Single Flag: Yes. A flag spawns in the middle and each team must grab it and bring it back to their base to cap. This would definitely be a fun to work as a team to get the flag back. Good communication between teammates and the often neglected midfielder position would be essential skills that this game type would impart. Most maps would work well with this game type and a suitable player count would be determined by the map.
  • Single Flag Reversed: Maybe. This is more like traditional sports such as hockey, soccer, etc... It would definitely require a lot more team effort to get a capture assuming each team has a HoF. It would require a complex set of skills such as timing, offense, and communication. Although I suppose rather than a stand to cap on each team could have a goal post where they can throw the flag through to make it easier. The reason I'm unsure of this game type is because unlike normal sports you tend to get shot up on your way from base to base. Although I do suppose people get in punch-outs in hockey. On the plus side most maps would work well and the player count would be determined by the map.
  • Capture the Flag Reversed: Probably No. Each team spawns at their base where the enemy flag is located. The objective is to bring this flag to the enemy base, kill the enemy flag carrier, return, and capture. This is quite easily the most chaotic and insane game type I'm listing. It would be interesting to learn how to deal with complex engagements, learn effective team communication, and timing. Of course it's also possible players will just spawn and head straight for the enemy base making it into regular Capture the Flag. All maps would be suitable and optimal player count would depend on the map. Unfortunately this may just be too chaotic for Legions.
  • 1-Way: Yes. One team defends while the other tries to grab their flag, then the roles are reversed after round end. This would honestly be a pretty fun game type and it could potentially help people with their defensive and offensive tactics without requiring much in the way of position switching. If someone usually plays defense then they'll be forced to practice at offense and vice versa leading to a more well-rounded player. Pretty much all current maps are adequate and player count depends on the map.
  • n-Way: Maybe. Multiple teams each with their own flag. Probably wouldn't work over 3-Way with 16 players and 4-Way with 32. This would definitely be a chaotic game type that would focus on situational awareness, flanking defense, and timing. It would be fun to get lost in the madness of it all though. Unfortunately it would require all new maps and the server would need a high player count to be fun.
Miscellaneous:
  • Capture and Hold: Maybe. This is a fun game type and definitely promotes situational awareness, defensive, and offensive tactics. It would need a control point to be added to the game to make this function properly. Although without any sort of point defense other than meat shields it might degrade into zerg rushing and a typical rotating capture loop. I suppose it could have dynamic spawn locations so you can choose at which point you control to spawn at to defend, however that would be a lot of work to implement. Most maps could be reused and a medium player count is required. It may be more trouble than it's worth though.
  • Defend and Destroy: No. This is all about base asset defensive and offensive tactics which includes elements of stealth. Fun as it may be, Legions does not posses any of these and would need to be added. Not worth it at this time.
  • Siege: No. I think this game type is fun personally, but that's when thinking of Tribes 2. Unfortunately base assets, both static and placeable, would need to be added to the game just to get it functioning properly. Then you'll need all new maps and a relatively large player count to make it playable. It also requires a fair bit of stealth which is not something Legions is known for. As much as I hate to say it, I'm going to say no at this time.
As far as server rotation make it decided by vote. Always by vote. If you had a server dedicated to LakRabbit you'd have to limit the player count to make it playable, and then you're just wasting resources. It's a better idea to have people on the server vote for maps/game types. Keep in mind it'll stay CTF for the majority of the time. There might be one more popular game type that'll be a distant second to CTF, but all others will be empty servers and wasted resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.