Flag Movement

Gheist

King of all Goblins
[...] How does a flag with an altered trajectory land in the same place as a flag with a normal trajectory? This is where your idea doesn't make sense. If you 'spin' a football (I'm talking European here ;p) it's trajectory is changed and it does not land in the same place as it would have if you kicked it normally. [...]
You're standing on a fixed spot A. You're shooting the ball into the upper right corner of the goal, B. A and B do not change. Now you shoot it there with a vertical right/left curve, a horizontal curve (lob), or add in some physically impossible movements in which the ball (or flag) gets from A to B. Trajectory changes, A and B don't. That really isn't something that's too hard to understand.

Nonetheless, I don't think that any of the suggestions in here are actually needed.

Propkid

You're standing on a fixed spot A. You're shooting the ball into the upper right corner of the goal, B. A and B do not change. Now you shoot it there with a vertical right/left curve, a horizontal curve (lob), or add in some physically impossible movements in which the ball (or flag) gets from A to B. Trajectory changes, A and B don't. That really isn't something that's too hard to understand.
So you mean that if we are to throw the flag... anywhere, it's landing position has to be first pre-determined by the game and then some maneuvers that are unique for each throw have to be added into it's trajectory so that it always lands in the same place, no matter how you throw it? I'll put it this way: say there's a throw where after 3 seconds of it's flight the flag does a single zig-zag of a 25m width, then it goes back onto it's original trajectory. What if it lands on the ground during that zig-zag? Since it didn't follow it's original trajectory during landing, it is not where it would be during a normal throw.
I understand what the OP wants, i just don't see how does the flag know where B is (because ATM it seems as if it knows itself where to land).

Nonetheless, I don't think that any of the suggestions in here are actually needed.
Something to spice up the passes would be nice...

Frost

Explain those movements in detail. At the moment I only understand the curve, but horizontal and vertical... if you want the flag to fly vertically why not just throw it up into the air above you? And I'm quite sure that you aren't proposing absolute horizontal movement so explain that.
Also, you do realise that a zigzagging or heck, even a barrel rolling flag would look insanely idiotic to a newcomer? I mean I'd laugh my ass off if one morning I started L:O up and saw the flag have more maneuverability that the legionairres themselves.
Most people seem to understand the idea besides you, which is fine I'm not insinuating anything here. I'm too lazy to make up a paint diagram so I'll use an electrocardiogram.
image5.png

So basically it would be like this, although the flags trajectory clearly would not be in a straight line. Anyways, similar to activating a cluster, when you decided to activate the flag in question it would go through movements P through S (or T or U for those that know the diagram). What I mean so say is, when activated the flag zig-zags up and down on a vertical or horizontal axis (flip the diagram sideways for horizontal) increasing the chance of missing the catch for a few moments.

So you mean that if we are to throw the flag... anywhere, it's landing position has to be first pre-determined by the game and then some maneuvers that are unique for each throw have to be added into it's trajectory so that it always lands in the same place, no matter how you throw it? I'll put it this way: say there's a throw where after 3 seconds of it's flight the flag does a single zig-zag of a 25m width, then it goes back onto it's original trajectory. What if it lands on the ground during that zig-zag? Since it didn't follow it's original trajectory during landing, it is not where it would be during a normal throw.
I understand what the OP wants, i just don't see how does the flag know where B is (because ATM it seems as if it knows itself where to land).
This is sort of irrelevant, that's like asking what happens if someone ends up intercepting the pass.I'm pretty sure the devs have already handled what happens when a flag hit's an object/the ground/a person.

If you don't like it, or feel it doesn't have a chance of being implemented then just lock it, I don't want to waste my time on a thread that's not going to happen.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
[...] If you don't like it, or feel it doesn't have a chance of being implemented then just lock it, I don't want to waste my time on a thread that's not going to happen.
Well, like I said, I don't think it's needed, and I certainly won't sink too much time into discussing this topic (which is also why I won't explain how it could work to Propkid any further), but I won't lock it. Me thinking it's not needed should not prevent you from talking about it. Keep in mind that I'm no developer. My opinion is worth just as much as yours. ;)

w00tyou

You're too good at flag play, that is why it seems to easy... Try Tribes flags, they are real flags not stripper poles.

skypredator

I'm too sexy for the pole to be anything but upwards.

...And this proves that Rockey is quite open about his moonlighting job as a male "dancer"...

Jk dude, but even still I was hoping for a more serious reply. I guess you're just gonna have to 1 up this one till they get cleaned up by Strife :rolleyes:

And Immanent, well, sorry to burst your bubble, but if the Lore provided by the devs back in the IA days is what we're still sticking to, then the "flags" are actually rods that look to be made out of a carbon-steel mixture (Parts made of carbon, parts made of steel - not an actual mixture of carbon and steel) containing memory chips that store lines of DNA. This DNA is needed to resurrect new soldiers to fight for the planets (Maps) that contain a valuable resource needed to make the armor the Legionnaires wear. Idk if the Lore has changed, so I'm most likely wrong, but w/e :cool:

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
And Immanent, well, sorry to burst your bubble, but if the Lore provided by the devs back in the IA days is what we're still sticking to, then the "flags" are actually rods that look to be made out of a carbon-steel mixture (Parts made of carbon, parts made of steel - not an actual mixture of carbon and steel) containing memory chips that store lines of DNA. This DNA is needed to resurrect new soldiers to fight for the planets (Maps) that contain a valuable resource needed to make the armor the Legionnaires wear. Idk if the Lore has changed, so I'm most likely wrong, but w/e :cool:

Link to this imaginary source of Lore?

RisingSun

Private Tester
Yes it is a stick pole thing. The only thing that could make it probable by "moving", would be to straighten like a dagger being hurrled at you in a straight line sideways. This would accomplish nothing besides maybe making the flag faster, but making a flag "zigzag", would cause mass confusion to new players and/or 300 ping players

HVanquish

imo this should only be possible if a new weapon like a flag launcher was put into the game. To keep the game moderately realistic (jetpacks, i know) the little raider can't curve a stick. However, if he had a gun that was made for firing flags in cool ways, sure.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
[...] w00t me and predator both imagine same things o.0 telepathy
It's called hallucinations and delusions, not telepathy. Stay on topic, its bad enough as it is. No need to mix it up with "lore" and "realism" debates.