Distance Counter

Frost

I think this would go well with legions, I've often misjudged the distance of an oncoming passer. I think adding a small counter to Your Flag, Your Teammates, and the Enemies Flag (sort of like the objectives counter in other fps games) would be beneficial especially to the new/mediocre players who want to practice flag passing.

Since legions is fast paced and we can see IFF's across the map, for inexperienced players it's difficult to judge distance especially if the IFF is going up and down through hills and whatnot. It wouldn't have to be anything obtrusive (just a small number in white next to the object) but yea, I think it would make a significant difference in succession of passes for both old and new players.

If this somehow turns into a rant thread I'd like it locked please and thanks.

This is just a suggestion, with that in mind please post your opinions/comments below.

Abandoned

For the players with a high ping, they will also benefit from this as leading becomes easier with quick mathematical predictions.

Frost

For the players with a high ping, they will also benefit from this as leading becomes easier with quick mathematical predictions.
Actually, I left being able to see your enemies out because it might help with shooting ability slightly.

The numbers would be shown on:
Your Flag
The enemies flag
Your Teammates

Mots0311

Interesting idea. However, part of the skill of the game is taking well aimed shots and the skill comes from judging distance and anticipating lead. It would be kinda cool though to mod reticles and BZO them for certain ranges. Interesting..........I;m not sure how I feel about this, I'm conflicted.

Frost

Interesting idea. However, part of the skill of the game is taking well aimed shots and the skill comes from judging distance and anticipating lead. It would be kinda cool though to mod reticles and BZO them for certain ranges. Interesting..........I;m not sure how I feel about this, I'm conflicted.
As I said before it wouldn't be for shooting it would be mainly for assisting in flag play since IFFs are a little confusing at times.

I think this was mentioned in RiPTaCk's thread in General Discussion... Not sure though.
It may have, generally don't read those, I was thinking of halo and this idea popped into my head. It has also now been formally suggested, if it was indeed talked about before.

It's the equivalent of when the ship fly's overhead and drops a warthog at a location, then a small objective pops up with the distance on it and you head towards it. Simple.

w00tyou

if you can do trig in your head you could MA people across the map 99% of the time with knowing that.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
if you can do trig in your head you could MA people across the map 99% of the time with knowing that.

Not really, you need a side and an angle for trigonometry, you only have the side and the fact that players are also moving changes everything :p

BestCharmie

All my shots are either skill, luck or calculation-based(skill). I would like to have a distance counter thingy with my 170-400 ping.

Fixious

Test Lead
Another potential idea I thought of is instead of a distance counter, or perhaps even in conjunction with it, the flag icon would be colored based on visibility. For instance, if the flag is in your direct line of sight without any hills or structures in the way, it'd take on its regular color(enemy-red, yours-green). But if it was behind a structure or hill it'd be white.

Just an idea I had. No idea if it's even possible with the engine and such.

Frost

Again, it wouldn't be for shooting people down it would just be for flags, and actually I'll change my original idea. It's not even needed for your own flag, just a distance counter on the enemy flag for passing.
It's not meant to give an unfair advantage in shooting, it's meant to assist in passing since that's an area of the game most people need to work on.

oath2link

Not really, you need a side and an angle for trigonometry, you only have the side and the fact that players are also moving changes everything :p
but with a distance and an initial angle, as well as a known acceleration of the player, and the speed of the projectile, you can calculate the position they would vertically be in, and as long as you can do that in less than a second and the player doesnt move left or right, its a midair!

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
but with a distance and an initial angle, as well as a known acceleration of the player, and the speed of the projectile, you can calculate the position they would vertically be in, and as long as you can do that in less than a second and the player doesnt move left or right, its a midair!

Well yes, but isn't that where military guidance systems come in? If you knew all those things, it would be easy, but as we don't, we can't really 'calucate' a midair.

Armageddon

Teapot
The falg should have a distance to player counter for flag passing only. Nothing to help MA's, they are easy enough to get anyhow and if you don't get them then quit.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
This has been suggested many a time before. Problem here being that it does take away some things from standard gameplay.

Perhaps this could be a weapon specific feature for the LR. If you are scoped on a futuristic sniper rifle, it really wouldn't surprise me if you had a rangefinder built into the scope. Doesn't the LR also have a damage falloff? It would be nice to actually know how much your shot is going to hurt the target before you fire.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Perhaps this could be a weapon specific feature for the LR. If you are scoped on a futuristic sniper rifle, it really wouldn't surprise me if you had a rangefinder built into the scope. Doesn't the LR also have a damage falloff? It would be nice to actually know how much your shot is going to hurt the target before you fire.

Good suggestion here, I vouch for it.