Did i do the right thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maddogg101

I know, its been forever, and some of the old Instant action veterans will remember me.

So, there is this girl that i recently met, and shes actually a pretty awesome person, i talk to her ALL the time (only friends though), Anyhow, so we brought up parents, and she didn't want to talk about it, but eventually she tells me that her mom gets drunk all the time, and literally abuses these kids all the time (Her, shes 14, and her 1 year old sister.), i didn't believe it at first, but then she showed me bruises all over her body from her mom and the mom apparently hits the 1 year old cause "He's annoying", so me being the concerned and caring person i am tell her "That's Bullsh-t, you need to call CPS right away." she called cps, and has her first meeting on Monday, so this begs the question, Did i do the right thing? her mom might never see her again. (but the girl hates her mom, and wants to live with her sober, loving father.)

Gheist

King of all Goblins
[...] Did i do the right thing? [...]
Why are you asking yourself that question, if I may ask? And I'm not saying that it's wrong to do so, don't get me wrong. I'm just honestly interested in where your doubts come from.

Maddogg101

I don't know, im just worried about the mom killing herself or the 1 year old growing up without a mother. i am paranoid.

skypredator

Good job, buddy. I was in the same situation as you once.

If you're gonna ask yourself if you did the right thing, first ask yourself if you would want someone to rescue you if you were in her position. I know it's hard to try to help someone in this situation because you're afraid what might happen if you step in, especially when there's someone involved that could potentially kill you in a rage (the mother).

1+ for you. People like you are heroes.

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
You did the right thing. No kid should be abused by their parents. If the mother does wind up killing herself, its her fault. You potentially saved the lives of her kids. I would do the same.

It would be terrible if the 1 year old grew up with a mother like that. Follow through completely.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
And just to get you back to actually thinking about what you've done, I'll tell you that you've done the wrong thing. It's quite shocking how fast people are patting your back here, without being able to say a single thing about the situation that you've been in, and even less about her situation. Never drown your doubts in approval or endorsement of faceless masses.

skypredator

Gheist. He potentially saved two innocent lives. He didn't include a detailed report because this is a private incident. Most of the times the victims are too ashamed to bring it up because they have an inner sense of strength and "I can muscle through it on my own". Though this isn't the best mindset for a victim to haven he kept it private for the victims' sake.

Trust me.

I've been abused by others physically, mentally, and verbally, though not by any of my family or strangers. Even kids can be cruel.

I told someone, but not after I... Retaliated. Yeah, long story.
He did the right thing. I lived in fear for over a year. He helped the victims get someone involved that could actually DO something about it.

Fear like this isn't a stroll in the park.

And guess what, Gheist? Bottom line is abuse like this ends up with the abuser murdering the victim, in 82% of the cases. (Don't make up numbers and claim they're facts.)

Propkid

I've been abused
Uh...
IMO we'll only get to see whether he did the right thing or not once we see how does the situation develop. And really, did he do anything? Or did the final choice belong to the girl (call or not call)?

Nevertheless I'm enjoying this thread :D

skypredator

She most likely wouldn't have worked up the courage to tell anyone until it was too late.

And Prop, isolating that part of my reply kinda makes it seem a little too edgy. Brings up bad memories of my past that I'd rather forget. And this isn't about me, it's about these two kids. ;)

Heartsong

[citation needed]

More on topic, I'm surprised that, if the situation was that bad, the girl didn't realize that there were resources she could use. If she was just afraid of the repercussions, I don't see how you simply reminding her could make it click in her head that it was worth doing. Chances are that you probably did the right thing, but every situation is wildly different.

I hope everything works out for the best.

skypredator

[citation needed]
My mother has been an RN for over 30 years. We used to live in Manhattan so she's seen plenty of abuse/negligence cases. She also had access to the archives. She was, let's say, "way up there" as far as job status. I could probably find an online archive to give me the general percentage. Point is most abusers get tired of the victim, so they kill them, or, the more likely situation: The abusers figure that since no one's found out about the abuse, no one will find out if they kill the victim. I hope it works out for the best as well.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Well, at the end of the day, no matter what happens with this situation, your intentions were noble. There is nothing wrong with contacting CPS if the concern is legitimate. At this point, I'd recommend letting CPS do their thing, and not concern yourself with worrying over it. If there is a legitimate concern with the family CPS will act accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.