Colleges

DKnight556

I've been programming throughout high-school and I wasn't planning on going to college. I already know C++, some Java, and have been learning torque script. My parents want me to go to college but I can't find one that's not huge with a low student to teacher ratio. I want to get a degree that will allow me to get hired by a gaming company as a programmer.I have already searched a a lot online but all I can find are online colleges and the ones like phoenix, and other colleges that don't really have " high chance of getting me a job" as my parents say. I'm really out of options and I have to pic soon because this is my senior year. Please me guys.
3.5GPA
28 on SAT ( not merit scholar)
Eagle Scout
High teacher recomendations

Here's my question for all of you guys:
What is a good college to go to for a degree in either computer sciences, or some other degree that allows me to achieve my goals?

57thRomance

28 on SAT ( not merit scholar)
Don't you mean ACT?
Eagle Scout
Congratulations! I have a couple of friends who just got promoted as well.
I'm really out of options and I have to pic soon because this is my senior year. Please me guys.
Senior year?! As in you graduate in 2012, right? I hope?

Anyway, there are some great engineering/computer science schools I know of in Eastern U.S. (like MIT, Johns Hopkins, RIT, SUNY Purchase, etc.), but seeing that you live in Oklahoma, you'd have to consider thinking about if you want to fly that distance or not. I'd say look at the bios of game developers working on big projects and see where they attended college and how they worked their way to their careers.

DKnight556

Don't you mean ACT?
Yes sorry was practicing to improve that score online so i was switching back and forth from this to the practice site

Congratulations! I have a couple of friends who just got promoted as well.
Congrats to them too
Senior year?! As in you graduate in 2012, right? I hope?
Yes. Im going to be a senior this year
Anyway, there are some great engineering schools I know of in Eastern U.S. (like MIT, Johns Hopkins, RIT, SUNY Purchase, etc.), but seeing that you live in Oklahoma, you'd have to consider thinking about if you want to fly that distance or not. I'd say look at the bios of game developers working on big projects and see where they attended college and how they worked their way to their careers.
I don't mind the flight and I wouldn't mind going out of state if I can get some scholarships. Thanks for the advice

I'd love to. <3
Thanks

I've actually found myself a great college here in Belgium with a low student to teacher ratio (for programming), but I don't think you are really interested in going to college in Belgium (or anywhere else in Europe).

BeefThief

Beefy Member
Right now I'm choosing between Penn State in PA or Johnson & Wales in Rhode Island for Computer Science/Computer Programming. Have you tried using CollegeBoard to look for colleges near you with CS majors?

Also, I'm looking to get into the gaming business as well. Let's work together some day ;)

Lanthus

From what I remember in reading interviews with developers, the school you go to matters less than internships and your portfolio of work, as long as you have a computer science degree or similar.

Tons of schools have decent computer science programs. However, all of the universities with highly rated computer science programs are going to be very competitive in admissions. There are lists of national rankings of the universities. Those can give you a general idea of how the schools compare. Also, something else to consider is that public universities will be cheaper than private ones.

Here is a discussion on computer science program rankings along with links to rank lists: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com...-computer-science-undergraduate-rankings.html

If you want a school that will focus on videogame development, Digipen is the one. Their Bachelor of Science in Real-Time Interactive Simulation degree program is all about making games. It's similar to a computer science degree but with a concentration on computer graphics and year long game projects in each of the junior and senior years. You'd have some actual game projects to show off to potential employers.

Another option is to complete your first two years at a community college before transferring to a university. The first two years are just the prerequisite/general education classes. You're more likely to have smaller classes and you will save a ton of money. Also, if you get excellent grades in those two years, you will get into highly rated universities.

anak

VIP
we need to know more.
-which state do you live in?
-which year do you graduate?
-how is your gpa scaled? is it converted from an x/100? (divided by 25)
UCCCCOOOOOOOOONNNNN
elaborate please? is that where you're going?! :D

Redvan

Private Tester
According to one of the guys over at Black Jacket Studios (makers of Metal Drift), Digipen keeps all of your projects as their own, so you can't sell or market any of your projects if you wanted to.
then you save all your best work for yourself and turn in your leftovers for projects ;)

57thRomance

I'm going to the University of Hartford. They have a great double major program called Acoustical Engineering and Music that combines my love of math and science with that of music. I have a pretty good range of job opportunities from studying acoustical engineering, and I can use the musical influence to get better at my instrument (jazz guitar) and maybe even have something to fall back on or do "on the side."

Oh, and @anakz: There are, like, 40+ people I know from my class going to UConn in the fall, so when I visit, I hope to run into you someday (granted I can find one person in a group of 12,000+ people). ;)

anak

VIP
hartford? you gon' get shot. just saying. and drop me a pm if you're visiting, we can meet up at the co-op ;-)

redink: are you graduating..?!

RedInk

hartford? you gon' get shot. just saying. and drop me a pm if you're visiting, we can meet up at the co-op ;-)

redink: are you graduating..?!
Class of '14 brotha.
OSU scouts are monitoring me heavily... along with UCLA and Auburn.

OmniNept

Actionaut
Very much what Lanthus said. If you're interested in a specific career, spend as much time researching industry requirements as you do colleges. Undergraduate degrees are a dime a dozen these days, so unless you're planning on taking engineering or nursing, you'll not be guaranteed a job upon graduation. Far from it, unfortunately.

Also take costs into account. In Canada it's less of an issue, but in America it's not uncommon to graduate with 50k + worth of debt. While that doesn't seem especially significant to high-schoolers, you'll feel it as a twenty-something looking for work. As a general rule, people don't really care where you got your undergrad, provided it's from a halfway reputable school.

Finally, don't limit your options unnecessarily. People often switch majors after having experienced a few classes. You don't want to finish 4-5 years of school and find yourself stuck in a field you hate.