cloak/shield ability

PureWhoopAss

Legions Developer
I know you guys are playing around with the idea of using stuff like this so my thinking with this is something that of a short term way of penetrating the defense. The thought of cloak or shield though makes me wonder if any type of abuse would occur, and probably will. I think a good way to alleviate this would to make the weapons unfunctional when in use.

another idea using same concept is like that of predator, disabling shield or cloak if you fire a weapon.

MJ1284

Make it

1 ) Disable when firing weapon OR when using OD
2) Use the "reflect light three dimensionally" invisibility (like in Predator -movies) instead of total invisibility
3) Lose invisibility if you take damage from projectiles

Then I'd consider it balanced & plausible tool for cappers. You can still be seen if Base Def. looks closely enough but you're still harder to detect than without any kind of invisibility.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
I'd be worried that disabling weapons when cloaked would be too limiting for the cloaked player.

I like the idea of cloak having two abilities, a passive Predator-esque cloaking with their IFF being displayed, and an active near invisibility mode that depletes energy (with damage further reducing energy), removes their IFF and disables automatically when the player's energy level hits 0.

As a tool for defense, I think it'd be cool to have a Flare type item that you can throw to reveal any potential Cloakers. The flare would have a time to live, and while it's alive any active cloaked players within its radius will be automatically taken out of stealth and their IFF revealed to the defending player's team.

Propkid

That'd be sexy.
When/if we have certain accessory skills, there should be a detection skill.
+weapon shots acting as 'markers'. If anyone here played Battlefield Heroes they know what do I mean (heh). Basically a special LR shot will mark the target, making it visible through the walls/ on the radar etc. Good way of making the LR more popular.

PureWhoopAss

Legions Developer
The idea here is giving the abilities balance without taking much of the game away. You put a cloaking device on a player without restricitions like old tribes and your going find players untouchable. Giving small restrictions like disabling cloak when you fire a weapon isn't a big thing, because you probably already infiltrated defense or caught them off guard. More often then not though this might be a sniper's tool, put lanthus in a cloaking device and see how that goes.

I don't think shield would need this kind of restriction, specially if it uses energy.

PureWhoopAss

Legions Developer
lol llamas tool

you know what after second thought.. turrets would be quite useful against opponents hiding or having sheilds on.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
I think there could be two levels of cloaking/ invisibility. One would just remove IFF and the jet trail, and would last much longer, and then a full blown invisibility that would take more energy. I think if somebody is standing still on the ground, then the regeneration rate of energy would be enough to counteract the loss of energy due to the invisibility, but once the player is skiing, they slowly lose energy to the cloaking device until the energy hits zero and automatically turns off.

The cloaking device should allow for minimal visibility so if defenders look really closely, they can see some distortion, like in basically any video game with cloaking features (Halo, Unreal Tournament etc.) If a player comes in with enough speed, then it won't matter for the defense, the flag will just be gone. Whether the flag becomes invisible or not, I don't know, it wouldn't matter much if it remained visible with the line of sight distances, it would be pretty tiny pretty quickly, giving the player a chance to get away in a direction of his choosing before getting out.

Also, if the player takes damage, the cloaking field would be 'disrupted' and the player becomes visible.

My vote in regards to flags is that even when cloaked, the flag IFF will always be visible. The flag itself could be cloaked, but all you'd have to do is look for the IFF.
I'd also vote that at Really close range if you look directly at a cloaked person it still shows their name/health, but only when they're in your crosshair.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
My vote in regards to flags is that even when cloaked, the flag IFF will always be visible. The flag itself could be cloaked, but all you'd have to do is look for the IFF.
I'd also vote that at Really close range if you look directly at a cloaked person it still shows their name/health, but only when they're in your crosshair.
sounds good to me.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
As far as a cloak goes, during use, I'd have no issues if it didn't drain energy if you were stationary, but movement would accelerate the process. You should also be visible to someone looking for you and is nearby.

Flags could be interesting, though I don't know what to do with that...