Can you recommend a good laptop?

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/41839-lr736pa

Biggest thing that I like about this laptop is it's decent GPU (6770m Radeon) and it's decent price. This might actually be the same series of laptop that Disci picked up, not sure.

Anyhow, here's a nice video of the 6770m running Fable3.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF3erqM2kxE

As for *Tribes: Ass-End* performance, I dunno. It should be fine, and should only get better as the game becomes more and more optimized.

Update: and here's a video of the chipset running BF3.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7yIpfAj9ZE&feature=related

And Crysis2, his game glitches out near the end but when it was working, it was working good. Yar, almost positive this is the same laptop as Disci's. Impressive machine!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHsiDDUUjeo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ciAJI0poHk&feature=related Glitch-free Crysis2 video!

Abandoned

A good laptop is always expensive. If you want a cheap option, just go desktop.

It took me a good 3 months worth of research into laptops to find a laptop on the cheap side and it has decently high specifications.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Seymour I'm impressed. You found a cheap laptop, that is avaliable in Australia.
Thank you. This is the one option I'm actually considering!
So this will definitely run smoothly with Tribes, fullscreen at High graphics settings?

I'm thinking it should be fine, with that said I haven't seen or heard anyone's firsthand experience with T:A. Once Disci gets his, we'll have firsthand knowledge of how the game will run on that chipset. With that said, performance should only improve as things get optimized.

Royalty

The Aussie
I'm thinking it should be fine, with that said I haven't seen or heard anyone's firsthand experience with T:A. Once Disci gets his, we'll have firsthand knowledge of how the game will run on that chipset. With that said, performance should only improve as things get optimized.
Ok I'll make sure I check with Disci in a couple of days, as apparently his laptop is arriving tommorow. Thanks Seymour.
Seymour seems to give the most consistently good advice in these threads.

Just saying.
Yes. That's why it's Seymour's opinion I value the most.

Sn0w

Although I don't wish to make you turn away from a laptop, if it's what you really want.. I would highly suggest you get a desktop instead.
Where a desktop lacks in portability, it makes up for in reliability (if you make the desktop yourself I feel).

Desktops can be upgraded relatively easily, where as laptops... not so much. Personally I use my laptop for school work, browsing, watching movies and ...posting on legions forums.. *cough*. I use my desktop for gaming, editing music, and sucking away my life.

If you have the spare cash, hey man, its your cash! Go for it! But, if you want a dependable machine that will last you awhile, and in the long run be cheaper, I'd highly suggest getting a desktop instead.

But to emphasize! It's your money! If you have your heart set on a laptop, don't let me slow you down!

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
Dude that laptop looks really good, but that will cost me 2200 AU... I don't even know if my dad will buy me a new laptop...
Guess I'm stuck with my shitty school one. (Which cost like $3000, just because of a tablet fhattunction and all of the software installed...)

BTW Dabbleh, do you have that laptop?

Oh I wish I had that laptop, no, unfortunately I have an awful computer.

Royalty

The Aussie
Oh I wish I had that laptop, no, unfortunately I have an awful computer.
Don't we all? :) I wish we all had Alienwares or something...
BTW is 4GB of RAM enough? It's not like I'm going to be running TA and rendering a video on Sony Vegas at the same time though...
And also is 1GB of dedicated graphics enough?

Application-1

test bester
Alienware overrated by a lot of kids. And 4gb of ram is enough and so is a 1 gig videocard, I would prefer a 2 gig videocard. I really recomend a 2 gig videocard actualy. But a 1 gig is more then enough, 2 gig is just that much better.

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
Alienware overrated by a lot of kids. And 4gb of ram is enough and so is a 1 gig videocard, I would prefer a 2 gig videocard. I really recomend a 2 gig videocard actualy. But a 1 gig is more then enough, 2 gig is just that much better.
Yep, Alienware is *chocolate cookies* now, it's owned by Dell.
Get a Razer Blade laptop. *Lovin'*' pro.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
And also is 1GB of dedicated graphics enough?

YES IT IS!

2GB cards only help in actually framerate when you start playing start on insanely large screens and an insanely large resolution. For standard HD, 1GB is fine + it will help you save in those all important $$$ as 2Gb graphic cards cost alot more.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Hey, I just finished messing with my settings and after a few tweaks, I'm getting 30 FPS with max settings on 1600x900 resolution and a killing spree within the first 30 seconds of using the settings. :D

Apparently i7 processors like to not use my perfectly good graphics card :p Now that I've forced it to use it, I'm getting zero lag :D

If you haven't gotten anything yet, I'd like to restate my previous statement that it works perfectly well and the switch from integrated to card is both easy and obviously useful (given that it increased my framerate by 200%).

By the way, I'm happy now. Can you tell? :D

EDIT: I still stand by my previous statement though that the code could be improved given that it's only using two cores the majority of the time. T:A is still not as concurrent as it could be to be improved. Oh well. I've got 30 FPS now. I'm happy.

RainPilot

stinky bear
Extra RAM for your video card doesn't do much unless you have a lot of crap on your screen, maybe 5-10 jump in fps but not much.

Also when buying RAM, always make sure it has a good clock speed. You might not have a lot of options when it comes to laptops, but anything above 1600 is pretty decent. I decided to get 4gb of good ram (2133 clock speed) than 8gb of okay ram (1600). You might be able to buy some cheap laptop ram during the holidays. (Btw I know nothing about laptop ram)