British governments pay to keep Windows XP alive

Gheist

King of all Goblins
Just to let you know: Certain German federal states did the same (I almost wrote "had to do", but that's not true - damned morons). I know of Niedersachsen/Lower Saxony for example, which extended support until 2015. Paid with taxes, of course.

Defender

I don't think its fair for consumers to just have XP die in 2008, a few years after the last new computers, are still being sold with XP on them by the big manufactures. Microsoft, should offer some kind of low cost update/patch option for their OS, for as long as so many computers run it, on such a massive scale. Are planets resources are finite, throwing away older computers that still function and serve a useful purpose is dumb.

Last edited:

RockeyRex

Legions Developer
I don't think its fair for consumers to just have XP die in 2008, a few years after the last new computers, are still being sold with XP on them by the big manufactures.
And so the support indeed got pushed out for 6 more years.

Microsoft, should offer some kind of low cost update/patch option for their OS, for as long as so many computers run it, on such a massive scale.
Right, right... And the hardware? Should there be warranty for as long as "I feel like using it"? Just, no. Anything you buy will have the company that manufactured it, looking after it for a set period of time that it works so the consumer get's his run for the money. On cars this is few years. On software you don't have a written deal how long this piece of software works and is ironed out of any malfunctions occuring but generally it's a helluva lot longer than the support for your average piece of hardware.

Are planets resources are finite, throwing away older computers that still function and serve a useful purpose is dumb.
Change the OS? Some lightweight linux build for example? Don't be dumb.

Defender

I have changed the software to Linux on old laptops, desktops, countless times, to test stuff, and have duel-boot options now.
I guess a lot of people dislike it, or the games, programs, they like to use don't have versions for Linux. I read that embedded systems, are the big issue, guessing they don't have a Linux version and software, to do what embedded XP, and its software does..