Bolt Idea

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Yar, 3 seconds is a bit much; Just a really brief interrupt (Seymour's not good with numbers), just enough to throw off someone's timing and not necessarily shutdown someone as effectively or nearly as severely as an EMP.

scoot

Going along with pilot's original idea (i don't have much to say about the rest of the ideas in this thread), it'd be great if the chasing bolt were to have no knockback as well. Knockback makes it harder to line up successive shots, and it also gives the capper a boost in speed, which is kind of stupid.

edit: Hell, this would be great for the regular bolt too

edit2: On second thought, the knockback can be pretty useful in a few situations, such as throwing an enemy's aim off in a duel or knocking an incoming capper off course... I'm conficted. What do you other bolters think?

Last edited:

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
I am not a fan of the EMP effect of the bolt. I think it'd just make it way too OP. Cores would be rendered pretty useless.

I like the damage increase over distance idea tho, big fan of that.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
"Lets nerf a balanced weapon so people use other weapons more"
I've been vocal about this in the past and still will be, this is a terrible reason to change something. Give a boost to underpowered weapons, don't break game staples that have worked totally fine.

The problem I have with this is that if you think about the newer weapons, Mortar, Plasma, Skybolt, have all been nerfed because they were considered too "powerful". I really don't understand why everyone thinks chaingun is perfectly balanced, sure, before the new weapons came out it was. When the new weapons were added, people didn't like getting killed by them, but yet chaingun did exactly the same thing in a similar amount of time. Yet it was not considered broken.

You can either nerf chain by a rather small amount or you can buff Plasma or Skybolt so they're viable. It really depends on whether you want duels to last longer (by nerfing chain) or duels to last shorter (Buff bolt and plasma)

Going along with pilot's original idea (i don't have much to say about the rest of the ideas in this thread), it'd be great if the chasing bolt were to have no knockback as well. Knockback makes it harder to line up successive shots, and it also gives the capper a boost in speed, which is kind of stupid.

Completely agree, its somewhat slightly more unpredictable to hit successive shots.

edit2: On second thought, the knockback can be pretty useful in a few situations, such as throwing an enemy's aim off in a duel or knocking an incoming capper off course... I'm conflicted. What do you other bolters think?

While I agree with this, we already have weapons that fill a similar purpose (RL, GL, Plasma)

Why was skybolt nerfed in the first place? The instagib rocket MA+bolt is actually decently difficult to do and not too many people even used the gun. This same method was used to nerf plasma because only 1 person used it.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
*dance* knows, mainly because people got owned by it and pointed the finger at it to nerf it while they kept happily using chain/rocket.

You could give the skybolt a buff over distance without nerfing it at close range, really. Just don't make it do too much damage.

Blaster is pretty good but still has very little improvement over rockets. Maybe we should make successive DoT stacks do a little more damage.

I also think raider could use a buff. I see no reason to use it over outrider ever. Outrider just gives you too much maneuverability at slow speeds and while dueling. I think we should increase raider's a bit.

Maxter

Maybe we should make successive DoT stacks do a little more damage.

DoT stack has been removed a while ago, no info posted regarding that in the changelog . That's right folks, it was a change done in the darkness, against my wishes. I loved the first Blaster Rifle, using it was a... well... A BLAST!

The least you guys could do is to restore the original Blaster Rifle(call it Maxter Rifle) to Sentinels, while making a gimped version available for the others. They're already being useless half the game depending on maps when people decide they want to EMP nade spam the heavy all the time.

and this is based off an old Maxter suggestion, iirc)

An old Maxter idea indeed. Here's what I actually proposed:

Skybolt: I have to say, I look at this weapon like a brother to the Blaster Rifle(or it used to be, until BR got the DoT). So I was trying to figure out a way that Skybolt could have "side effect" something like Blaster's DoT.

Here's the idea; The player equipped with the Skybolt could use it normally, but more experienced players are able to implement an added effect to the usual assault. The effect being a sort of a detonation which would disable the victim's core for certain amount of time much like the EMP grenades. I suggest that the core deactivation time is higher than that of the EMP grenades to make it worthwhile to use, somewhere around 5 seconds.

For example, let's say I scored 3 consecutive shots on an enemy. At that point, for a limited time only, I'm given an option to "detonate" which results in the core deactivation of the enemy. If that time limit is crossed, you'll have to score another 3 consecutive shots to get the opportunity. In other words, you can say that the enemy is "marked" in a sense that his core can be shut off for a while if you were able to get 3 shots on him and use that detonate function in time. Now, this is no real change to the Skybolt, if you noticed but adds a sort of a support side to it. I just felt that the Skybolt could have an alternate use to it much like the BR so it's something more than just a modified Rocket Launcher, and this is what I had in mind.

Also, if you guys haven't already made a weapon model for it, I'd like to suggest trying out something like a high tech crossbow. Thought it would be a nice fit for it.

Right now, Core shutdown isn't as bad as Jordan and others may make it sound. It's good for Stay-D'ers as a weapon to shut down dodge llamas or the now more popular boost grenade +Boost core combo at the stand. I like Seymore's idea of armour vs effect, forces people to play something other than Outrider, if it comes to that point.

Oh and by the way, along with the Bolt, I suggest you do the same "damage based on distance" thing with the Grenade launcher. The constant close range MA spam with that thing is still abysmal.

Last edited:
Heavies would probably be even more useless with core deactivation from the bolt. It's incredibly easy to hit them with one.

And what do you mean by constant close range MA spam? With the bolt? I haven't seen anyone who's good enough at the bolt for me to say "I'd rather use that in a duel than a rocket or chain."

Personally, I don't like the inheritance values of the bolt.

Fixious

Test Lead
Heavies would probably be even more useless with core deactivation from the bolt. It's incredibly easy to hit them with one.

And what do you mean by constant close range MA spam? With the bolt? I haven't seen anyone who's good enough at the bolt for me to say "I'd rather use that in a duel than a rocket or chain."

Personally, I don't like the inheritance values of the bolt.
Were you around pre-nerf? Kryst or Envy raped with it due to its ROF, which was nerfed.

Poponfu

Lead Developer
I think a new weapon would be best with new trails and stuff..

One with the old constant acceleration of RLII without having to hold it down and also the increasing damage the faster(further) it goes.

--

Also see pilot , kryst , envy for insane chain bolt MAs .. even scootaloo too.