Americans: So that you know.

Severance

Private Tester
i predict a win for romney just because people are racist, and probably some rigging of votes.

i hope of the earth i'm wrong.

57thRomance

I doubt Romney would win anyway. His views have almost never been consistent, and he has made a buffoon of himself on several occasions.

OmniNept

Actionaut
I doubt Romney would win anyway. His views have almost never been consistent, and he has made a buffoon of himself on several occasions.
Unfortunately American politics aren't based in rationality. A good portion of its citizens associate deeply with a party, incorporating it into their sense of self. As a result, they vote based on feelings. And they're unable to process information that runs contrary to their party's perspective since it's seen as a personal attack.

There's nothing inherently good about democracies and republics. Their worth depends on the worth/education/thoughtfulness of their citizens . . . aspects for which Americans aren't especially known. These systems of government are also particularly susceptible to fear mongering and the fallacy of the commons.

57thRomance

Unfortunately American politics aren't based in rationality. A good portion of its citizens associate deeply with a party, incorporating it into their sense of self. As a result, they vote based on feelings. And they're unable to process information that runs contrary to their party's perspective since it's seen as a personal attack.
I guess one good example you could give of this phenomenon is the many ethnic, regional, and religious groups that politicians will reach out to instead of promoting what they believe makes sense and sticking with it. Romney comes from a business background, so one can certainly expect him to use manipulation and opacity to grab voters looking for a less secular politician. As for Obama, a considerable amount of people in America will vote for him just because he is half African American, which isn't his fault but still reflects the emotional force of the voters (Sorry UCan).

I just wish that the President-to-be would have a better foreign policy than "EVERY SINGLE WAR ON EARTH NEEDS TO BE OUR PROBLEM" and have a rational plan to downsize the national debt.

I guess one good example you could give of this phenomenon is the many ethnic, regional, and religious groups that politicians will reach out to instead of promoting what they believe makes sense and sticking with it. Romney comes from a business background, so one can certainly expect him to use manipulation and opacity to grab voters looking for a less secular politician. As for Obama, a considerable amount of people in America will vote for him just because he is half African American, which isn't his fault but still reflects the emotional force of the voters (Sorry UCan).

I just wish that the President-to-be would have a better foreign policy than "EVERY SINGLE WAR ON EARTH NEEDS TO BE OUR PROBLEM" and have a rational plan to downsize the national debt.

The US of A tried isolation before, it didn't work out too well either. Your nation can't really help but maintain a global presence if it wishes to stay as a major player economically and politically, which kind of means being in everyone's business all the time. And what comes to downsizing your national debt, it can't really be done by your president as long as the government has little to no control over privatized capital. The current economic situation arose due to weak governmental control over corporations in America, and yet the people resist anything related to a stronger government and lessened influence of old white money.

Which is why I find Romney hilarious. He is pretty much the embodiment of everything the lower and middle classes struggle against, and yet he gets support from poor white trash everywhere just because he is republican. This two-horse race between the democrats and republicans pretty much kills any believability of your elections. And before any murikans say anything, I wish it didn't concern me. Unfortunately your *chocolate cookies* has the tendency to trickle down all the way to the Nordic countries and beyond.