air mines, torque

PureWhoopAss

Legions Developer
I tampered with tribes modding before and made this cool thing called air mines.. now i know folks might bash the idea of having any sort of mines.. but the idea of being able to create a slight air defense against cappers might be useful.

Anyways i made these UFO looking mines that floated and have like a radar like projectile spewing out of it like a scanning device.. which is simple and makes it easy to see its there.

I think the mine should behave slightly differently however then a regular mine.. instead have it act like a barrier explosion like something like sonic charges in the star wars movie. I'll make a demonstration if needed as to what i mean. But anyways make limited to like 2 per player, and a life of maybe 2 minutes (this is so its not all over the map). Some tests you could have it either steal player energy, bounce players, and/or take small health.

The other idea is again another weapon i made in tribes, i called it the torque. which is a highly powerful blast of air in a bubble.. basically it floats and when it makes contact it will have a heavy collision damage. It will be larger projectile but very slow moving but could be useful for clearing the flag and removing airmines.

i think both are good and with enough tweaking and testing could add some new fun.

sample of the torque projectile which spinstorqueshot.jpg

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Pineapples (a.k.a Hand Grenades) for air mines, and InstaOverdrive for the latter, though I've always liked the idea of a "wind" weapon that blows enemy cappers out of the way.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Air Mines in Tribes were pretty cool, can't remember if they were effective or not, but they were fun to play with.

PureWhoopAss

Legions Developer
you can shoot the mine if your a good capper.. i always toss gernades or rockets just to clear the flag before i grab.. no reason anyone else can't.

Mabeline

God-Tier
I've tested air mines in the past, as soon as they're useful at giving damage they're unreasonably huge. The whole idea sounds neat but executes poorly.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
What if it was a little whirling glowing ball that instead of dealing damage normally, it sucks you towards itself. This way, it could be used as an air mine without having to be huge. The damage would be caused by the G's of the direction change, so properly lining up would help minimize the damage for good cappers. I suppose it would also be preventative of llamaing because typically llamas are relatively new players that won't have terribly good aim to shoot them, whereas e-grabbers could just shoot them.

I don't know... Ideas...

Buhlitz

I've tested air mines in the past, as soon as they're useful at giving damage they're unreasonably huge. The whole idea sounds neat but executes poorly.

Was just coming in here to post that exactly. I remember that while they were fun and novel, like Mabe said in order for them to be useful they had to be pretty silly big, and even if each player on each team only had one, it would make capping on frost or nivo damn near impossible.

Unless of course they could be blown up/ chained out :p

Mike

To Seymour, GReaper, BugsPray, and whoever else is regards:

I know that this is only a modification, but it is one out of many, and I think that if PureWhoopAss was interested in becoming an artist and/or coder for Legions: Overdrive, he would be a good choice!

lock445

PureWhoopAss

Legions Developer
well again to make the them seeable there will be a special effect spewing from them much like of a sonar. And yes they should be able to blow up quite easily with any projectile.. all things explode with precise shot in legions, ive seen my laser shoot down a rocket;)

btw is there any possible way to make the effects to have more then just one image or dds? You can't animate effects with only a single image. Legions creates an illusion of animation with one image.
Doube post edit

PureWhoopAss

Legions Developer
I dug around in the tutorial for effects, it just uses particle generator. I need to use something like with an image sequence (.ifl).. i downloaded a tutorial for .ifl looks like you have to code it into torque for it to use .ifl.

I have particle generator called particleillusion, which pretty much almost same thing in some ways. www.wondertouch.com

//---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------//
// IFL (Image File List) //
// //
// This script sets up all the IFL animations. //
// sets it up so that when the object is placed in the world (or ::eek:nadd) //
// the animated textures are played. //
// //
// *******Current list of items using IFL's******* //
// //
//---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------//

datablock StaticShapeData(IflExample) //We name our static something we will remember
{
// The category variable determines where the item
// shows up in the mission editor's creator tree.
category = "Misc";
shapeFile = "~/data/shapes/iflTut/example.dts"; //Location of the .DTS
};
function IflExample::eek:nAdd(%this,%obj) //What do we want to do with our new shape??
{
%obj.playthread(0, "myIflExample"); // We tell torque to play our animation using "playThread"
// It will be the only animation so we put 0, then the name
// we gave our animation. ( #1 in our example image)
}
// We need to create our static shape
function StaticShapeData::create(%block)
{
%obj = new StaticShape()
{
dataBlock = %block;
};
return(%obj);
}
// and we are almost done.
// We have to add "exec("./ifl.cs"); to server/scripts/game.cs and place our ifl.cs in the same
// folder. Once this is done, we go into torque.