Air Brakes

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
I had talked about an idea in a different thread, I can't remember which, I think it had something to do with the controversial melee topic. Anyways, this might work as something else instead of Air Brakes. How about a device that stored your kinetic energy? (I know you'd need a flywheel or something stupid like that and that's just for wheel-based vehicles, but this is the future.) You could use this device to slow yourself down, and then release the kinetic energy back into yourself when you need a boost later. If you die, you lose the kinetic energy from that life, and you don't get as much kinetic energy out as you put in (there's that thing about no energy conversion being 100% efficient, *dancing* entropy) and so that could be air brakes while saving some energy for later, like when you're done dueling (slowing yourself down as you fall from great heights, and storing energy) and off to intercept some pesky capper with your flag in hand.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
I had talked about an idea in a different thread, I can't remember which, I think it had something to do with the controversial melee topic. Anyways, this might work as something else instead of Air Brakes. How about a device that stored your kinetic energy? (I know you'd need a flywheel or something stupid like that and that's just for wheel-based vehicles, but this is the future.) You could use this device to slow yourself down, and then release the kinetic energy back into yourself when you need a boost later. If you die, you lose the kinetic energy from that life, and you don't get as much kinetic energy out as you put in (there's that thing about no energy conversion being 100% efficient, *dancing* entropy) and so that could be air brakes while saving some energy for later, like when you're done dueling (slowing yourself down as you fall from great heights, and storing energy) and off to intercept some pesky capper with your flag in hand.

That reminds me...

I suggested a weapon that would slow you to a dead stop but would take your kinetic energy and convert that into damage for anyone hit by a hitscan shot a while back. That was the same day I was accepted as a PT and Mabel spent about 40-50 minutes cursing at me about the stupidity of it when I finally managed to get on IRC to talk about stuff with the devs. That was an interesting day...

Also, if you have some sort of magic techno-flywheel, would that reduce your velocity while you use it or no? T'would be interesting regardless...

skypredator

This all sounds rather lovely, and I might sound a bit biased at the moment, but as Pure once said, "Modeling isn't just a 'na na, there I did it' kind of thing"... Don't make it a weapon. Please. I can't tell the dranti difference between the RL, Bolt, Plasma, BR, and who knows how many more. Let's just make then two small metal flaps/sheets that fold up and out, one from each of the Legionnaire's shoulders, activated at the press of a hotkey. One might have perhaps two air brake abilities per class, no reloads from the ammunition inventories. You'd have to respawn. At least, that seems to be the most practical idea (the physical air brakes).

skypredator

Not to throw this off track, but if that's the folder where the airboost .cs is supposed to be placed, is that not where the .cs for the shotgun should be placed as well?

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
That reminds me...

I suggested a weapon that would slow you to a dead stop but would take your kinetic energy and convert that into damage for anyone hit by a hitscan shot a while back. That was the same day I was accepted as a PT and Mabel spent about 40-50 minutes cursing at me about the stupidity of it when I finally managed to get on IRC to talk about stuff with the devs. That was an interesting day...

Also, if you have some sort of magic techno-flywheel, would that reduce your velocity while you use it or no? T'would be interesting regardless...
I bet Mabel wouldn't like trying to code any of this.

EDIT: The magic flywheel would reduce your velocity when its activated, but wouldn't slow you down if its equipped.