A little request...

Cirus

I am finishing up my current degree in Interactive Media at my local College and wanted to test my skillz in building a map for Legions. It would be solely a demo map and nothing serious but I would like to see how far I could get with the designs myself before I have to ship-out for basic training in the next 3 weeks... So I was requesting for someone to point me to which software is used to create the landscapes for Legions and I will make sure to post what I have before I ship out :)

I have several Ideas in mind and if I can I will attempt to make more then one demo map for the suggestion section to munch on :D

Strife

There are currently no tools available to the public for mapping, unfortunately. If you want to show off your skills to the community and development team I'd suggest messing around with Torque3D (or older versions). To purchase the entire program it's 99 dollars (which is a good price for an interesting tool) or you can download the demo here. I've messed around with T3D myself and it's a lot of fun.

Cirus

Sounds good! I will try to get some landscape ideas hashed out as soon as I can get the trial downloaded and work out the basics :) thanks again!

curser656

I asked about this on another thread and apparently Torque 3d isn't the right tool? or you need a legions preset or something to work with it.

Strife

I'm not a developer so I don't know the specifics, but I do know that if you're only mapping T3D will be sufficient for display purposes (not sure about practical use obv).

curser656

Display yea, that's easy but practical use? They were giving me a lecture on the TGEA and TGE and t3d and juggernaut in the other thread and now I'm just confused. So i'll just start mapping and see where it goes.

Strife

Well, listen to them over me (duh) because Mich actually knows what he's talking about. If all you're doing is mapping and you intend to show off your work and don't feel like messing with TGEA etc I'd just use T3D to create a sample of your work. If the right people are interested in your work I'm sure you'd be given the appropriate tools to create a functional map.

curser656

Basically I want to make my map concepts more than just photoshop art? T3d is insanely easy to use so I'll probably just stick with that till someone gives me further instruction to make it functional.

GameDevMich

Honored Hero
Sorry for confusing you in the other thread. I posted a reply explaining why you would use Torque 3D. To sum up, you can use T3D for creating concepts. The levels will not work in Legions, unless someone has figured out how to back port from T3D to the game. If you use the following objects, you can create maps that would look/act similar to what a Legions level would look like:

1. Skybox
2. Sun
3. Terrain
4. Cloud Layer
5. Waterblock

Do not use any of the following, as they are specific to T3D and would not accurately reflect what TGEA could handle:

1. Scatter sky
2. Advanced cloud layer
3. Water Plane

If you want to simulate the foliage replicators that TGEA (Legions) has, you will need to use the Forest Editor. T3D does not use the old foliage replicator objects, though there is a discussion on the GG site about bringing them back (not final). Keep in mind the Forest Editor is far more powerful, as it gives you extremely accurate control over placed objects.

When you have finished a proof of concept, you can take screenshots and even record the videos from using special key binds. You can even create mega-screenshots, which are insanely high resolution. However, the final version of your T3D projects will not work in Legions.

Cirus

sorry for the delay in posting a reply but all that has been said shows just what I needed to hear really, It will take alot of research to get the right coding and such but for basic concept arts of maps and such T3D will do just fine so long as one stays within the guidlines you stated above.

thanks again :D

GameDevMich

Honored Hero
@Cadmus - You can check out the Mod section of the forums, as well as the documentation links for Torque 3D/TGEA.