A General Guide on How to Cap

jickerjacker

Private Tester
So after making a couple videos of cap routes for different maps, I decided to make a video solely based on capping itself, because what good are routes if no one knows what the hell they're doing.​
Yes I know that some parts of the video are really choppy and that the white text is hard to read sometimes due to the lighting of the map. Don't really know how to fix it so yeah, deal with it please :)
1080p

My video already has enough text in it and I don't want it to be a book, so I'll go in depth on some of the more central ideas listed in the video

Skiing
This is the most basic thing in the game. If you're not good at it, you'll just have to accept the fact that you won't be good at a lot things.​

Comboing into Flags
By knowing how to do this, you can change your return routes and reach further hills since you're increasing your flight time by boosting. It creates more opportunities to do cool *chocolate cookies* with the flag, and once you get the hang of it, it can lead to things like boost-returning a loose flag at the enemy base, which everyone will see and then proceed to suck your dick because they think you're the *chocolate cookies*​

Knowing the Maps
There's a lot of things I mean when I say this. Getting a feel for a map and having a general knowledge of everything is one of the most important parts to being a capper. For instance, knowing different starting hills leads to a ton of different angles for routes, which leads to the defense not knowing where you'll be coming from, giving you an advantage since you'll have the element of surprise. Also, knowing where hills are on a map will make your job trying to improv return routes a lot easier. And once you get used to the hills, you begin to get a feel for when you need to jet, or when you can just go with the flow of them since they will arc you perfectly on towards the next hill. You will also discover little tidbits about each map that will help make your routes better, for instance the little ramps on Elegiac.​
Return Routes
This is the most important part of the route since it's the time where you actually have the flag and you have 5 chasers on your ass. In the video, I mainly cover the idea that you should have a variety of return routes so that you don't become repetitive and so you keep the chasers on their toes. That's only really half of it though, because I mean yeah you can OD juke and stuff all you want, but there's still gonna be times where you're gonna be like "Oh, their entire team is waiting for me at the bottom of that hill to tear me a new asshole. *chocolate cookies*". So this is where improv comes in. It doesn't really matter what you do at this point, but you kind of just have to make a return route on the spot and maybe wait for someone to come help you. This is why having a knowledge of the map is so key to being a good capper, because in times like this, you need to get as far away from the chasers as you can, as quickly as you can, and if you know what hills to hit and where they are, this becomes a lot easier and increases your chance of getting home with the flag.​
Flag Awareness
I didn't cover this in the video solely because I didn't wanna make my video over 10 minutes, and because I didn't have a great selection of clips to help convey my points. Having flag awareness is important as a capper because knowing where your flag is and where their flag is really helps you decide what to do next. If the flag carrier on your team is low and about to die in midfield, you should probably head out their to catch a pass or pick it up. But lets say you don't like that person who's about to die or you just don't really feel like helping them, then, you can maybe start a route and try to time their death and the return of the enemy flag with your grab, that way you don't end up wasting 30 seconds doing a route only to get to their flag stand and their flag isn't their. I do this *chocolate cookies* all the time, I mean if parealisa is sitting on a hill right outside the base so he can ski in real quick and llama it, and their chaser is Envy or someone, paraelisa's gonna *dancing* die in like 10 seconds, so all you have to do is simple math in your head to figure out when you should go and grab it. It works over 50% of the time​
For Cap Routes: http://forums.legionsoverdrive.com/threads/cap-routes.4308/
Inbox me or talk to me in game if you have questions

Vox

I honestly thought the boosting was just for showing off until I watched this video lol.
Great video though, got some good tips that I didn't know about until this post.