Bugging the devs: Arena

Propkid

TDM with no respawns or a limited number of lives per player, also known as Arena is a game mode that has been talked about ages ago. I, honestly, am sick of watching the red and blue flags flying there and back across the map so here's a question to the devs:

When will we be able to play Arena on the public test servers?
Allowed answers: within a week, within a month, within half a year, not anytime soon, nao.
Disallowed answers: soon, within the nearest future, in the upcoming times etc. etc.

Also, please make it include the new guns and loadouts. They are all utterly awesome and give the game so much more depth.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Bugs said:
STATE OF THE EMPIRE ADDRESS

MARCH 26, 2011
My Fellow Legionnaires,
Emperor BugsPray here. Let me speak candidly: There has been some debate amongst the development team, testers, and players about whether or not to release information to the community on the state of the project and where it’s headed. Our intent behind hiding this information is not to keep you in the dark, begging for scraps of information from your overlords. InstantAction had a tendency to make promises that they were, in the end, unable to keep. This is no fault of any one individual, but the fault of their circumstances at the time. Either way, this resulted in some animosity toward the developers, and created a sense of distrust amongst the community.

This is something we’ve been trying to avoid. As any development team knows, there are some things we think we are going to do that wont get done as a matter of resources and time. At the same time, we might be able to some things we never thought we’d do. As a community that is actively involved in the development, you have a unique perspective on what is happening compared to other communities. This perspective lends itself to some good things and bad.

Propkid

Yes I've read that about an hour ago when I was looking for info about Arena.

As any development team knows, there are some things we think we are going to do that wont get done as a matter of resources and time. At the same time, we might be able to some things we never thought we’d do.
Hence I'm kindof asking for an update on the game mode. They might have dropped the idea and forgot to mention this to us, you know...

Propkid

I highly doubt that.

there are some things we think we are going to do that wont get done as a matter of resources and time

The whole reason for why we don't get updates on everything they are planning to release is that some of it might just not come out (and that there is not much point in telling us all of it). Read what you quote.

Propkid

Have some faith before you start criticizing them.
Quote my criticism, because I cannot find any.

If you think that what inspired me to write this post is a feeling of discontent towards the development/devs of L:O you're wrong. I just read that rabbit has been on public test when I was out and Arena just sprung to my mind.

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
Absolutely no reason for this to be a poll. Quit with the condescension in your posts, the Devs are doing this in their spare time for nothing, chances are this is costing them money. Everything they have given us is so much more than we would have got otherwise. So you need to cool it with this "I demand answers" *chocolate cookies*. If it comes out that's awesome, if it doesn't be grateful for what you have. If you wish to continue this discussion with me, feel free to PM me. If not, I expect you to stop acting like this is owed to you.

Also - this thread is now a discussion of what you're looking for and what you want if there is an arena mode added to the game.

Reith

I wouldn't bug them =/ but I'd like to see an arena mode for sure...or some type of gauntlet

Heartsong

In my opinion and, thus, the rest of Omni, since we are a group of mindless drones centered around the organism that you know as Nept; Arena matches promote running away and spamming over fighting. The effects of luck are exacerbated by the "one life" model and I find that, in general, it is a poor substitute for a real Deathmatch.

Of course, you're still entitled to play your sissy version of Deathmatch, but I will be wearing a beret and looking down my nose upon you from behind my designer coffee.

Immanent

In my opinion and, thus, the rest of Omni, since we are a group of mindless drones centered around the organism that you know as Nept; Arena matches promote running away and spamming over fighting. The effects of luck are exacerbated by the "one life" model and I find that, in general, it is a poor substitute for a real Deathmatch.

Of course, you're still entitled to play your sissy version of Deathmatch, but I will be wearing a beret and looking down my nose upon you from behind my designer coffee.

I totally agree with you. Arena mode is the watered down version of Deathmatch (FFA) that only promotes running and hiding furthermore. Only true men (and omni's) play dm ffa.

Armageddon

Teapot

Where is the dislike button?