Helpers

Shade

Private Tester
One of the problems with Legions is the gap between the new and the old players. There have been many decent pubbers that needed only a little assistance in improving and assimilating into the Vet Community. The goal of Helpers is to bridge this gap and improve the overall quality of players.

Helpers are a group of players dedicated to helping new players improve. To make it easier to identify Helpers, they will be using clan tags. They will do things such as show cap routes; duel with new players; give constructive criticism; answer general questions; get players into IRC and ts3 and most importantly, encourage new players to try what they like the most.

Helper Application:
What positions do you play?
Where do you live and what time zone are you in?
How long have you been playing?
When are you available?
Do you have a Steam account? If so, what is its name?
Will you be using an alias (please tell me it)?

If you need help:
What areas do you need help in?
Where do you live and what time zone are you in?
When are you available?
Have you played Tribes?
Do you have a Steam account? If so, what is its name?

If you’re interested in joining, or need help, PM me your application. If you don’t want to be bothered by new players on your main account, or you’re a member of a clan that uses a tag, you are welcome to join under an alias. You may not be accepted immediately for a few reasons—the main one being I don’t know you well enough. However, there is nothing stopping you from trying to help new players. :)

List of Helpers:
Flag Play/Support/Passing: Floks, Malificus, Sid, Ucantry2run, Teapot
Dueling: Floks, Malificus, Shade, Roach, Sid, Ucantry2run, Teapot, Veyron
LO: Floks, Malificus, Shade, Sid, Teapot, Outlawl, Veyron, Ucantry2run
HoF: Malificus, Roach, Teapot
Sniping: Shade, Teapot
LD: Floks, Malificus, Sid, Teapot, Outlawl, Veyron, Ucantry2run
Chase: Floks, Malificus, Sid, Ucantry2run, Teapot
HO:
Heavy Cap: Roach, Shade
Raider Cap: Floks, Malificus, Sid, Teapot, Veyron, Ucantry2run
Outrider Cap: Sid, Ucantry2run

As a side note, I would like to ask all the Vets—whether or not you want to be a Helper—to be nice; it will only help the community grow.

Unknown

Private Tester
Is there going to be events where there are lots of "helpers" there (newblood pickups?) or are you just going to be helping new players get better every time you join a server? A very needed idea, but I think there has to be some sort of system.

Daphinicus

Private Tester
This is an excellent idea.

I'm by no means the most proficient player out there -- I've been trying to learn new routes myself, and have been asking for help constantly on that front -- but I think I'm above average, and would love to pass on what I've learned to those who could use it. Assuming this gets off the ground, I wouldn't mind hitching a ride.

That name, though... it could use some work. If you're looking for a name that can fit inside a tag without truncation, what about The Guides? As in, "Shade.Guide", "Guide|Shade", or something similar? Or, if acronyms are acceptable, I find myself partial to "The Bloodguides" ("[BG]"), seeing as new players are known as Newbloods in our strange lingo.

But, naming aside, a wonderful and selfless idea.

stefygraff

Private Tester
They tried it on the old I.A. too, but it did not make any significant improvement... Its worth the shot! Good luck with it!

Daphinicus

Private Tester
They tried it on the old I.A. too, but it did not make any significant improvement... Its worth the shot! Good luck with it!

I don't think something like this should be put together with the intention of making a "significant improvement" in the legions learning curve -- that really has to start with the game itself. But if such a group were to form, even if they only helped a handful of people find comfort and fun in the game, it would have been worth it.

Redvan

Private Tester
Is there going to be events where there are lots of "helpers" there (newblood pickups?) or are you just going to be helping new players get better every time you join a server? A very needed idea, but I think there has to be some sort of system.

If you make a smurf join the helpers on that, then you can play under your main account and not worry about being bothered if you're not in a helpy mood ;)

Also, I think the idea is to help people in PUBs randomly as people need it. But shade can clarify on that. The tag should probably be something that makes it obvious you can ask them for help, like: "halp?" :D

also, sign me up :)

Gheist

King of all Goblins
In general, I love ideas like these. But, in my opinion, the main "problem" is, that people actually have to want to learn. That's effort. And sadly, only a few want to go through that effort. And those who do, usually do find guides/mentors/teachers etc. on their own. So, while I'm definitely in favour of stuff like this, I'm not sure if there are actually enough suitable "newbloods" for a large-scale program like this. Hell knows I've tried more than once, but the vast majority just isn't willing to learn.

Roach

In general, I love ideas like these. But, in my opinion, the main "problem" is, that people actually have to want to learn. That's effort. And sadly, only a few want to go through that effort. And those who do, usually do find guides/mentors/teachers etc. on their own. So, while I'm definitely in favour of stuff like this, I'm not sure if there are actually enough suitable "newbloods" for a large-scale program like this. Hell knows I've tried more than once, but the vast majority just isn't willing to learn.
True, improving player ability depends on the player as an individual, and not all newbloods will actively seek our help. Hopefully, though, just having a team of helpers available and easy to work with will encourage newbloods who DO want to improve to actually do so, and with our help they can. At the very least we are providing opportunities to learn and improve, and even if only a few people take us up on the offer it will still be worth the effort when we have that many more players seeking out competition and joining/making teams.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
Aye, there's really nothing wrong with trying, don't get me wrong. I think what I wanted to say was maybe "prepare for frustration and disappointment". ;) (Also, in retrospect, despite all the frustration I've been through, I'm still very proud of my few "padawans" that are still alive and kicking. ;))

Redvan

Private Tester
Aye, there's really nothing wrong with trying, don't get me wrong. I think what I wanted to say was maybe "prepare for frustration and disappointment". ;) (Also, in retrospect, despite all the frustration I've been through, I'm still very proud of my few "padawans" that are still alive and kicking. ;))

worst that can happen is nobody needs help :) (or nobody says they need help, because we all know who needs help lol)

I've helped many a player with cap routes, MA practice, etc... Generally they seek you out, some I've sought out (see someone llama grabbing? Ask them if they want to see a cool route).

Having a clan tag that identifies you as a helper may increase the frequency of people asking, but like you said, it's going to be primarily up to individuals being willing to learn.

Shade

Private Tester

I agree, a better system would make it much more effective. I would like to hold off on implementing anything advanced/complicated until Helpers has had some success. For the moment, Helpers would join pubs and offer to help in any way they can. Once we have a decent number of new players, we could organize new blood pickups.

If the Helper system does well we could play around with some other ideas, such as adding a box that new players can check when they register. This box will place their name on a list and a helper will be assigned to them. After the new player has seen the tutorial, a Helper will go into a private server and expand on the tutorial. I don’t know how hard it would be to implement this (can Dev shed some light on this?)

I would also like to see private servers for new players and Helpers to practice in. The servers are to keep other players from interrupting the Helpers and vice versa.

This is an excellent idea.

I'm by no means the most proficient player out there -- I've been trying to learn new routes myself, and have been asking for help constantly on that front -- but I think I'm above average, and would love to pass on what I've learned to those who could use it. Assuming this gets off the ground, I wouldn't mind hitching a ride.

That name, though... it could use some work. If you're looking for a name that can fit inside a tag without truncation, what about The Guides? As in, "Shade.Guide", "Guide|Shade", or something similar? Or, if acronyms are acceptable, I find myself partial to "The Bloodguides" ("[BG]"), seeing as new players are known as Newbloods in our strange lingo.
But, naming aside, a wonderful and selfless idea.
Thanks for the support! :)

I would be happy to help you with capping. I need to see where you are at before letting you into Helpers though.

I was thinking about the name myself. I wanted one that would be easily identified and would let new players know who to ask, which is why I stayed away from acronyms in the first place. It would really help if, during registration, newbies saw something along the lines of "If you see a player with [Trainer] in their name, feel free to ask for help - that's what they're there for!

I’m considering changing the name to [Trainers], what does everyone think?

If anyone is interested, please list your position.

FlyerRadio

Would love to see this idea in action. I've played Legions before, but find myself struggling a bit, especially with skiing/cap routes. A "Bunny Slopes" or beginners server for Helpers and noobs to go would be great too.

I love this idea. I have trained a handful of people and I have joined many training sessions from different clans. I cant wait to see where this goes. I love the idea of a "helper" server and the check box for the new players to get easier help.

I remember that VIP thing lol. Dr.Wiley told me to go but I never got interested into it after I signed up.

Shade

Private Tester
Would love to see this idea in action. I've played Legions before, but find myself struggling a bit, especially with skiing/cap routes. A "Bunny Slopes" or beginners server for Helpers and noobs to go would be great too.

We're happy to help! Please PM me your in-game name, time zone, and any times that would work well for you.

I would do it, Can't play though. I'm more of a forum helper?

Sure thing! If players need help finding guides, tutorials, or anything, try to direct them to a useful thread.

Here's a few:

"Helpers"
http://forums.legionsoverdrive.com/threads/helpers.652/

"Legions Survival Guide"
http://www.legionsplayers.com/videos/survival-guide/

"Movement Tutorial"
http://www.legionsplayers.com/videos/quick-movement-tutorial/

"Guide to Being Effective"
http://forums.legionsoverdrive.com/threads/guide-to-being-effective.179/

Esuke-L

Remembers VIP..
This is a good idea, loving the tickbox idea & it's a great idea to utilise the name tags for this.

A strong foundation is good for all beginner players. If in doubt, go to what you've learned is the proper way.
I was helped out by a few people way back when I started, without them I dunno how long it would've taken me to become proficient at certain aspects of the game.

(will see you in-game hopefully, would like to sign up for this whenever it starts, understand u'd need to see me since I don't know u already)

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
I'm too lazy to look, but having a thread on its own to gather players who ARE interested sounds like a good idea as well. Or, they could just drop their names down here. When I get back from vaca I'd love to help you out. Sign me up!