You know me, just fallin' 120+ like a baus. you madpuddijelli? :)

Rougey

Most Honoured Aussie
My profile location is wherever the hell I want it to be. People here know I am Australian, I don’t need to tell them. And don’t even bring up patriotism. “Patriotism” is a recent construct for this country, and whenever it rears its ugly head it’s tainted by racism and bigotry. Patriotism appeals to the fools and is used by politicians to manipulate them.

You want to know about Patriotism? This country, at the behest of the British Empire, sent tens of thousands of young men to die during the First World War for no gain. We were a Federation by then; it was a war we had to stake in, no need to fight in. Nearly half a million patriotic young men volunteered for that war on the other side of the world, they were patriots all of them, and over sixty thousands of them didn’t come home. But we sent them. 98 years ago because of a command *dance* up our soldiers were sent to a goddamn meatgrinder. But they took and held that *dancing* meatgrinder for eight goddamn months at the behest of Old Europe.

When those soldiers returned they were disillusioned men who had seen war and lost friends. That was the real birth of our Nation, when we realised that we didn’t need the British Empire, the Empire needed us. But they asked so we went and paid in blood for our participation, and again in the Second World War where we fought the Axis in Africa and bloodied Rommel at Tobruk before being recalled to fight the Japanese closer to home.

The 25th of April was always a sombre affair, quietly carried out each year on the date of the landings where our troops were massacred. Its not a date that marks victory or independence, it marks the bloody start to a long and pointless campaign. But as the veterans who fought in that war died the Howard Era government tried to create a nationalist identify and attempted to change ANZAC Day meant to this country, they morphed it into the kind celebratory of patriotic war glorifying bullshit the Veterans despised and actively avoided for the near century after the landings – it was patriotism that got their mates killed.

Think about our war songs that came about in the 70s – Khe Sanh is a song about a disillusioned Veteran, I Was Only Nineteen is a bloke suffering from PSTD, and No Mans Land is about the most damming and anti-war song ever; those songs come from the generation born after the Second World War who also experienced Vietnam, raised and lead by those who had lost their mates in that great patriotic war.

The kind of “patriotism” you see from the youth of today is a construct aping the American idea, wear a flag, paint your face tacky bullshit. True Australians simply are Australian and don’t need anyone to tell them- a generation paid in Blood for that. You want to be Australian? Spend the day with your mates, go to a pub, have a Barbeque, play two-up and enjoy the public holiday. And take a moment to remember those who didn’t come home, who never got to sit with their mates for a yarn and a laugh on the red soil of their homeland again.

Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives... you are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours... You, the mothers, who sent their sons from far away countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.
- Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, Father of the Turkish Republic, Commander of the Ottoman Empire at Gallipoli.

Anti_Envy

Private Tester
My profile location is wherever the hell I want it to be. People here know I am Australian, I don’t need to tell them. And don’t even bring up patriotism. “Patriotism” is a recent construct for this country, and whenever it rears its ugly head it’s tainted by racism and bigotry. Patriotism appeals to the fools and is used by politicians to manipulate them.

You want to know about Patriotism? This country, at the behest of the British Empire, sent tens of thousands of young men to die during the First World War for no gain. We were a Federation by then; it was a war we had to stake in, no need to fight in. Nearly half a million patriotic young men volunteered for that war on the other side of the world, they were patriots all of them, and over sixty thousands of them didn’t come home. But we sent them. 98 years ago because of a command *dance* up our soldiers were sent to a goddamn meatgrinder. But they took and held that *dancing* meatgrinder for eight goddamn months at the behest of Old Europe.

When those soldiers returned they were disillusioned men who had seen war and lost friends. That was the real birth of our Nation, when we realised that we didn’t need the British Empire, the Empire needed us. But they asked so we went and paid in blood for our participation, and again in the Second World War where we fought the Axis in Africa and bloodied Rommel at Tobruk before being recalled to fight the Japanese closer to home.

The 25th of April was always a sombre affair, quietly carried out each year on the date of the landings where our troops were massacred. Its not a date that marks victory or independence, it marks the bloody start to a long and pointless campaign. But as the veterans who fought in that war died the Howard Era government tried to create a nationalist identify and attempted to change ANZAC Day meant to this country, they morphed it into the kind celebratory of patriotic war glorifying bullshit the Veterans despised and actively avoided for the near century after the landings – it was patriotism that got their mates killed.

Think about our war songs that came about in the 70s – Khe Sanh is a song about a disillusioned Veteran, I Was Only Nineteen is a bloke suffering from PSTD, and No Mans Land is about the most damming and anti-war song ever; those songs come from the generation born after the Second World War who also experienced Vietnam, raised and lead by those who had lost their mates in that great patriotic war.

The kind of “patriotism” you see from the youth of today is a construct aping the American idea, wear a flag, paint your face tacky bullshit. True Australians simply are Australian and don’t need anyone to tell them- a generation paid in Blood for that. You want to be Australian? Spend the day with your mates, go to a pub, have a Barbeque, play two-up and enjoy the public holiday. And take a moment to remember those who didn’t come home, who never got to sit with their mates for a yarn and a laugh on the red soil of their homeland again.

Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives... you are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours... You, the mothers, who sent their sons from far away countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.
- Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, Father of the Turkish Republic, Commander of the Ottoman Empire at Gallipoli.

I took all that time, to not read any of that. Here's a tissue, for your issue EURO

Anti_Envy

Private Tester
Sure, give me a good pilot, decent weather and a black amex for fuel and I'll outdo you.

Also your signature text being larger than your posting text is obnoxious - see how you read this part first?
How many jumps do you have Rougey, I'm curious.

Anti_Envy

Private Tester
Not challenging your skill-level or anything, but how many jumps have you done?
When did you complete your AFF?
Do you have your own gear?
How much does it cost per dive (now that your AFF is done)?
I was able to get 20 jumps in 5 days. I got cleared for solo (completed AFF) on my 11th jump. After I got cleared for solo I started jumping my dads 230 specter parachute. It costs roughly 25 bucks for the plane ride up your altitude, and another 20-30 bucks for the gear rental if needed.
You planning on jumping soon brah? :)

Royalty

The Aussie
I was able to get 20 jumps in 5 days. I got cleared for solo (completed AFF) on my 11th jump. After I got cleared for solo I started jumping my dads 230 specter parachute. It costs roughly 25 bucks for the plane ride up your altitude, and another 20-30 bucks for the gear rental if needed.
You planning on jumping soon brah? :)
I wish it was soon :D
It's a sport with ridiculously expensive initial cost...
Anyway I'm 16 now, hopefully I can afford it in my early 20s...

OmniNept

Actionaut
I'm curious as to whether the sensation of falling fades after a few seconds. Over the course of "cliff jumping" (snow and water), I doubt I've fallen more than 80-100 feet; can't say I habituated to the feeling of falling during those brief drops.

Application-1

test bester
I'm curious as to whether the sensation of falling fades after a few seconds. Over the course of "cliff jumping" (snow and water), I doubt I've fallen more than 80-100 feet; can't say I habituated to the feeling of falling during those brief drops.
I have jumped 2 times in my life adding up to 7 jumps. That rush of falling is definitely there for a few seconds. The moment when you stabilize and you can just look around you it is just gone for me. The adrenaline rush is still there though but that twist in your stomach isnt. That is what it is for me atleast.

Also if you are in france (or any other country you can do it) check out if you can do some canyoning. It is either upwards stream or downwards stream valley (hiking?). A lot of fun and cliffjumping (when downwards canyoning) in 3 meters wide puddle from 10-15 meters high is a big rush. If you miss you break atleast a leg or two basicly. And sliding down water made slides is a big + too. Just something to add if you like the so called XTREMEMEMEMEME sports.

Mukhtar

I have jumped 2 times in my life adding up to 7 jumps. That rush of falling is definitely there for a few seconds. The moment when you stabilize and you can just look around you it is just gone for me. The adrenaline rush is still there though but that twist in your stomach isnt. That is what it is for me atleast.

Also if you are in france (or any other country you can do it) check out if you can do some canyoning. It is either upwards stream or downwards stream valley (hiking?). A lot of fun and cliffjumping (when downwards canyoning) in 3 meters wide puddle from 10-15 meters high is a big rush. If you miss you break atleast a leg or two basicly. And sliding down water made slides is a big + too. Just something to add if you like the so called DUMBASSASASASAS sports.
probably cant compete with the feel i get after a good whack ;)

Anti_Envy

Private Tester
When I'm riding up to my altitude that "twist in your stomach" is a pretty gnarly feeling, knowing that you'll be jumping out of an airplane was a bit nerve racking of course on my first jump. BUT, after about my 3rd and 4th jump I started to accept that feeling and understand that it will always be there. If you're not nervous or have no emotions before you jump out, there is probably something wrong... As soon as I jumped out that adrenaline rush definitely hits you in the face for a few seconds (as Application said) and yeah I suppose it does go away once you realize that you're stable and everything is good. It just keeps getting better and better each jump! So you've been cliff jumping huh, that sounds awesome. 80-100 ft is pretty low though lol.... The highest I was able to get up was 14,500ft. A beefy asian like yourself Nept should definitely try a jump or two :)