Ye Olde Melee/Close Range Thread

Libra

Imagine this, jetting in the air then down jetting bringing down the sword on someone lol it would be amazing

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
now where is that brilliant mabel quote?

EDIT: found it!

Mabel-IRC said:
<@Mabel> nothing will work
<@Mabel> nothing
<@Mabel> so stop asking for it
<@Mabel> any close range weapon just makes bodyblocking stupid op
<@Mabel> shotguns suck
<@Mabel> it's been tested before
<@Mabel> you're better off waiting for something that doesn't suck

Libra

maybe the only reason melee weapons of the bladed type haven't been introduced is because the characters can't do arm, elbow, shoulder, and hand movements

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
maybe the only reason melee weapons of the bladed type haven't been introduced is because the characters can't do arm, elbow, shoulder, and hand movements

They are either way overpowered body blocking weapons or are useless all-around weapons. Take your pick. Neither is balanced. I've had three instances ever where I could have used a melee weapon during normal combat. That isn't practical, and frankly, we were speeding at each other at around 180 each, so I don't think I could have timed it right anyways.

Libra

look u private testers say it's overpowered or useless why doesn't some one throw it up on the test servers and lets the COMMUNITY test it out let us have a crack at it

for lets say at least a day or maybe a special weekend testing event we give our feedback and vote

Metreon

I agree that a shotgun would be useless, and that a typical melee weapon would not fit well in a game like this.

However, there are a few other things that my drunken mind can spew.

1. Aggressor Shield. Did any of you play the Independence War games? This was a "grinding" forcefield that you could trigger on your spaceship, that made your ship do a huge amount of ramming damage, while minimizing the damage the collision did your own ship (it did not protect against weapons.) (I-War 2 had an automatic variant that triggered right before a collision.) Replacing one of the held weapons with something like this (and perhaps having it triggered by overdrive) seems like a good fit for this game.

2. Sticky bombs. Simply put, a launched or thrown grenade with a small amount of splash damage that sticks to wherever it lands, including enemy players. Making them detonatable would expand their usability. Making a "boost" variant of this could also be cool.

3. On the same ilk, a disintigrator knife. Make it the sole weapon (or perhaps alongside CG/Plasma only) on an Outrider or perhaps an even lighter class. Point-blank, stab, run, 3 seconds later, insta-kill. It would be difficult to use and the user would be disadvantaged at range. This might be a good weapon for a HOF though.

4. Disabling weapons. This could be applied to the stickybomb or knife idea. Hit them with this, and an enemy's suit shuts down for a few seconds (this could vary based on the class.)

5. Addendum: Flamethrower. It's not as cool or original as the other stuff here, but it's FIRE. Nuff said.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
look u private testers say it's overpowered or useless [...]
The funny thing is, Volt Cruelerz has never seen melee weapons in game, he's just referring to one of the developer's statements. In short, if you feel like arguing with him, do it, but do it based on actual points, not based on his PT status.