Ye Olde Melee/Close Range Thread

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
I once suggested an idea almost exactly like that called "Bulldozer" on the old-old forums and it was shot down very quickly for being worthless unless you made it more powerful than OD which would make it OP. I can't see how it would be beneficial to have such a weapon in hindsight. Just use OD.

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
I once suggested an idea almost exactly like that called "Bulldozer" on the old-old forums and it was shot down very quickly for being worthless unless you made it more powerful than OD which would make it OP. I can't see how it would be beneficial to have such a weapon in hindsight. Just use OD.

its not a feature you use over time like overdrive, its a instant blast of OD that damages you (maybe 25% health) and drains all energy without you having to reach a certain speed. this would be used for dueling and becoming more of a tactical weapon for use in offense and dueling rather than a means to quickly capture a flag then get out of the area.

i mean, this is legions overdrive after all. the feature should become the centre feature that differenciates legions from a 2010 tribes game.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Like I said, its like what I suggested, and it was shot down. If you don't reach the speeds for overdrive, you won't get close enough. The other team will shoot you before you get there.

Yoda5891

Two thoughts on the 'Blast/Bulldozer' thing. First you could still use it even if you were going fast so if you got into a base a few seconds before your capper then blasted the Def to distract them it could be very useful. On the other end I could see it being OP and overused as a defensive move to keep even a fast moving capper from getting close...unless perhaps the blast couldn't effect you while you were in overdrive.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
If you're going to go in there anyways, why not just go in and OD yourself and shoot them with conventional weapons. Like I said, it was shot down for a very justified reason.

At that range, its unlikely that you'd have time to "defensively" activate OD and would put even more weight on the already extremely effective OD capping.

Lcam

Consider it and suggested my ideas
-smoke grenade
-invisibility for 3 seconds
What do you tink?
~Lcam~

Crisis12096

People really seem to want a melee weapon, you guys want to get close and personal it seems. For some, it may get addicting to melee, and they'll keep going for it. They will probably then get whored down. Oh well, I support a melee weapon.

One word: Shocklance ;)

Disci

Old man
People really seem to want a melee weapon, you guys want to get close and personal it seems. For some, it may get addicting to melee, and they'll keep going for it. They will probably then get whored down. Oh well, I support a melee weapon.

One word: Shocklance ;)

Can you play the game already?

Crisis12096

Nope. I can't. Just a suggestion, the shocklance is nice. As for the whoring part, it's most likely going to happen that way, unless they're really good with whatever melee weapon.

By the way, I assume the melee weapon will still rely on aim, and will require effort to use properly?

Oh right, I'd like to respond to that smoke grenade. I'd say more grenades, different varieties, is overall a nice idea. But, I don't exactly understand what you mean by invisibility. Whoever is caught in the smoke grenade should be blinded. The person who threw it shouldn't be immune, and should still be afflicted by it. The length of blindness can depend on how close the people are to it.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Invisibility is just bad. Think of the cappers and llamas. Think of HoF's. Think of the snipers.

Smoke grenades aren't too bad and I'd be fine with them.

Once again, melee, while cool, won't accomplish much unless you give it extra power to compensate for its range, at which point it becomes overpowered.

Crisis12096

Invisibility is just bad. Think of the cappers and llamas. Think of HoF's. Think of the snipers.

Smoke grenades aren't too bad and I'd be fine with them.

Once again, melee, while cool, won't accomplish much unless you give it extra power to compensate for its range, at which point it becomes overpowered.

The more energy used the more damage? Sounds nice, it won't be too overpowered as long it won't always 1 shot. Maybe take up to 30% energy upon usage for maximum damage. It'll do maybe 20%-55% of the targets health. 20% isn't the minimum, since if the weapon is used with nearly no energy it'll tickle the enemy, rather then damaging them.

Yes, smoke grenades. I'm not that big of a fan with invisibility grenades.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
You won't get close enough. I've said before that to have any melee weapon, it would have to have a ranged component, or its going to be either worthless or overpowered. My cabled lightsaber idea from a long from the old-old forums satisfied this, but even it has shortcomings.

Crisis12096

Do it from behind.

I see what you mean by you won't get close enough, but it's still possible. The chance of the person you are fighting to have perfect MAs or be smart enough to cg as soon as they know you intend to use the melee weapon is not that high. It's still possible.

I also hope by "melee" weapon you guys don't actually mean a weapon such as.....boxing gloves. But instead a weapon that requires you to be in a certain range to use (such as the Tribes Shocklance). Also, like the Shocklance it required aim to use, or at least practice.

Also, while we're on the topic of range, why not make the range depend on energy? Just a suggestion, to move this melee idea forward.

Vinzyboy23

Why not the knife is secondary weapon? (like hand grenades). For example, while you are using RL you can use the melee weapon (like frag combos).

57thEnryu

Ok, lets say ur in a fighter jet, going that fast as in this game. Would you take out a knife to attack ur opponent? No. MELE WEPS IN THIS GAME WONT WORK PPL!!!!!

PureWhoopAss

Legions Developer
currently the game already has some sort of close range weapons if you know how to do it. But the possible inclusion of the plasma gun would probably be more suitable for close to mid range. I envision the plasma round to be large wide projectile at a slower speed. The wider projectile will allow better hit chances up close, but slower speed so it could allow some timing and aiming. I'd also imagine the explosion to last slightly longer then other explosions.

DKnight556

The a knife or a force punch would benefit hofs the most. While body blocking we could time the knife hit and score a insta kill. I feel you should just use rockets for an MA instead of a knife or force punch unless the damage has a huge difference.

Fixious

Test Lead
Elf1.jpg

/thread

3lionz

Legions Developer
Just a thought for all those out there.
This is a silly suggestion to get some opinions :) , if melle weapons were added to legions, what would you think? Would you rage/ignore/use them?
What would it look like? Would it be a small commando knife requiring backstabs, or a huge sword that slices people in half.
How much damage would it cause?

(not a serious suggestion, I just want to see if anyone else had thought of this/had opinion)
Realized this has been asked before, but I want to see your take on it.