Unlocking Legions - Upcoming Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Can somebody tell me why you can't just make player-hosted servers like back in IA, with accounts?

The biggest issue is time and resources. While it would've been ideal to have authentication beside user hosting and modding, it would've required a big commitment on coding a proper authentication system.

Personally, I'm in favour for this change. I've heard of some concern from community members that mods would tear the community to pieces, and I don't necessarily agree with this. While there may be some separate communities that will emerge around a specific mod, I don't see it as a bad thing. If anything, having this kind of support will just boost the longevity of this game.

There's also the griefing aspect. I'd be ignorant if I were to say I'm not expecting much griefing, because there will be. We see people act likes jerks on the current game. As for tarnishing reputations, I don't necessarily see that. We're small enough that we'll be able to tell if someone is a smurf or not pretty quick. Also, I'm expecting some sort of server log system so if a client's griefing is getting out of hand, Seymour can track him down and apply his love in significant doses.

What's really exciting for me with this change is seeing what the community will add to the game. Not necessarily the 'full conversion mods', but smaller stuff. For example: duel tournaments, duel mods, Arena, Rabbit, improved admin controls, custom team skins, GUI interfaces to make simple scripting for novices like me easier, etc. This was always advertised as a 'community based project', and I feel this change will fully place the game in the community's hands. There's developers, yes, and they'll still be creating content for this game (as foreshadowed on Bugs' State of the Empire post), but you better believe that Seymour will be vocal about getting extremely well done user created content/features into the main 'official' game.

And, finally, there's the user server hosting capability, which is huge. Making the game more accessible to attractive Australian players is a good thing in my book.

Abandoned

One thing worries me though, back then, in IA, shadowdemonx9 made mods on his server so you can OD without health drainage. His server became popular and any time he was online, everyone joined his server. Now, with a small community, if this happens then I guess the community will be split up more?

Lol, I have a ping of 250 and 170 on the US servers, no smurfs for me! (Unless Contoslavos decides to..)
EDIT: Reading Seymour's post.

Living in a country where we are limited to the amount of internet we use monthly, will the player hosted servers(if they are modded) version need to be redownloaded to play in that particular server?

Armageddon

Teapot
Living in a country where we are limited to the amount of internet we use monthly, will the player hosted servers(if they are modded) version need to be redownloaded to play in that particular server?

Only if the server had new content: Maps/Models/Art that is required by the mod. Otherwise nope, no downloads should be needed to play on most modded servers.

RockeyRex

Legions Developer
Depends on the mod.
If it's only scripts, no.
If it's textures/shapes terrains... Yes you'll need to download something to join the server (Not automated)

Sin

Private Tester
Lol, one of the coolest things? Far from it dude. Most people just abuse them and make up stupid and random clans to have the pretty yellow text in front of their name.
Inform me of the things that are not related to the gameplay that are more efficient and cool than clan tags.

WhiteHawk

Hey I'm back to playing legions :) but I do have one question on the anouncment it said it going to cost a little so are we going to have to pay for something?

WhiteHawk

WELL DONE, CATCH UP.
Well I'm telling you I barly started playing legions again but I'm getting my skill back and my sniping abaillity back :) but still noobs will use ur name and ruin it cause there going to suck when they play as you....the only way ur gooing to know who is who is by ts3 and that's if u know there voice and have a mic.

Status
Not open for further replies.