The new heavy?

Application-1

test bester
Because nobody responded to my post in the heavy capping thread I am going to try again, please tell me what you think of this.

People just don't know how to heavy cap, that is the problem. Everyone just goes to enemy base grabs the flag and goes back and shouts: I AM HEAVYCAPPINGZ. Here a simple vid where I made new routes (frostbyte is old though) just to show everyone how you heavy cap.

Why go in outrider and grab the flag at 250 on zenith if you can do the same with sentinel at 190-200 and have that much more armour and a great weapon to bomb the flag with like mortar/cluster is what I always say.

Now that we got that out of the way, yes the heavy is broken. Something we all already knew. And when looking at heavycapping it is not all about the iOD that it has. It is more about the fact that in this game skiing is annoyingly easy. Imo they need to change the way a heavy skiis. And not by increasing its mass because that will result in less height but more downwards force wich will even eachother out. They should change it so that a heavy is indeed heavy and therefore can only reach a certain altitude above the ground with his jetpack.

A great example for this is the great waterjetpack:

Because it relies on the fact that it needs water/ground underneath it to fly it is limited to a certain height. It can still go above this maximum height if it has enough momentum. But the jetpack would then be useless untill you return within the max height (above max. height you can only lean left and right to make minimal changes in the sky). Imo this max. height would be 3/4 of a tower, considering you have iOD and if you want to be on that tower so badly you will just have to use that.

This system would make heavy capping the way I do it a lot less effective. You would still be able to do front routes for HO. And a HoF will have a bit more of a harder time, because now if they float around with iOD they can stay there for a long time, this will reduce the time a HoF can be there, and make a HoF do what it is supposed to do on a stand off wich is dueling. And yes HoF can do with a nerf. And when we get base assets a heavy would just have to use iOD to get into a base to get up high there.

Imo this would be a great fix for the heavy, it would make it MUCH more interisting. This is basicly just me throwing my opininion on heavy capping so sorry that I did not really respond to the OP. I would really love to hear the opinion by a dev about this system. Because the way I imagine it it just fixes so many problems with the heavy. If any dev thinks something is unclear then please respond and I will try to explain it. I really want to see this atleast tried out. So please devs look into it and give me your opinion.

Egostroke incoming:
And to support this idea, I play as heavy a lot and am good at it.

Pure

I see nothing bad about your idea but if you join a pub tell me how heavies there are? So if you make the heavy slower, harder to maneuver and a pain in the ass more think how many will use it.

Application-1

test bester
Heavy capping is nothing new, I don't think it needs to be modified.
Never said it is.

I see nothing bad about your idea but if you join a pub tell me how heavies there are? So if you make the heavy slower, harder to maneuver and a pain in the ass more think how many will use it.
They will move the same as before. They just can not reach a certain height easily so you can not go 100+ easily. You can still go to the enemy base with a good speed of 70-80.

DeadGuy

Legions Developer
Could be done by altering the drag variables in physics for certain speeds that would essentially do this, however I didn't think the consensus was that heavy capping physics was OP or needed altering. (Moonshine players need not reply)

Mahidhar

I think that currently it is unnecessary. Because, if routes are done in the manner as shown in your video, then it is fine, as they are making effort in trying get the flag. As much as I've seen, heavy capping is annoying when they just hide at our base, and iOD grab the flag. That is when they feel worse than llama grabbers.

A heavy is heavy. You start out much slower than Outrider and Raider, and you have to be patient, as the speed gain is also slow. And most of all, people are just lazy to put up with that slow process(even though it's not really that slow).

If I have to consider this a problem, and check for a solution, here's this: Maybe instead of height limitation, we could just directly limit speed? Like for example, in the game Motor Storm, you had a nitrous bar which was initially empty. Then as you use it, the bar will fill up to the red zone. If you keep holding down the nitrous while the bar is full, your vehicle starts to burn, and finally explode.

So, maybe we could have a similar limiter like that. Let them go at a high speed but only for a short while. The amount of time taken for the bar to fill could be based on the speed of the heavy. For example, let's say that the heavy's "dangerous speed limit" starts at 100. So the bar would fill in this manner.

100-130 speed: normal bar fill speed
131-160 speed: 2xnormal bar fill speed etc.

Esuke-L

If I have to consider this a problem, and check for a solution, here's this: Maybe instead of height limitation, we could just directly limit speed? Like for example, in the game Motor Storm, you had a nitrous bar which was initially empty. Then as you use it, the bar will fill up to the red zone. If you keep holding down the nitrous while the bar is full, your vehicle starts to burn, and finally explode.

So, maybe we could have a similar limiter like that. Let them go at a high speed but only for a short while. The amount of time taken for the bar to fill could be based on the speed of the heavy. For example, let's say that the heavy's "dangerous speed limit" starts at 100. So the bar would fill in this manner.

100-130 speed: normal bar fill speed
131-160 speed: 2xnormal bar fill speed etc.

<.< You pretty much just described overdrive but without control over when you use it..

It is pretty hard to chase down a heavy going fast. They just seem to plow through everything. But they are so easy to spot incoming and bodyblock that I don't think heavy capping (besides on uber small maps) needs to be modified. They can iOD the BBer but I never really see this happening.

prometheus11

Why is this a problem? BBing plus mortar if the BB misses = slowed down at least. I don't think heavycapping is an issue...even with the incredible capping you've posted. Kudos by the way, great capping, hehe

PureWhoopAss

Legions Developer
I think the remedy the OP of heavy capping also is two split heavies into two agendas. One such heavy for HOF, with larger armor and more drag and mass (especially so OD players don't drag a heavy around). The other heavy will be designed for offense assault in mind, only difference is removal of mortars and given a weapon like a cannon, which would be much like that of a tank or mortar but with less splash. I think grenade is something like 15 meters, mortar is like 40 meters. I'd give the cannon a happy medium of around 20-25, and id make the range the longer then mortar. Why longer you might ask? Wouldn't that just allow more spamming? Theoretically yes... but you can get spammed with any weapon in the game. I think the bigger question is limitations and efficiency. Such as, well the cannon weapon could theoretically need support to fire such a larger range, recoil if you will. Thus the cannon can only be fired while by being on ground. This gives the heavy slight disadvantage when needing to fire such a weapon but allowing the heavy to perform duties such as assault on the base, which really is the soul purpose of the mortar. It does take some skill for longer distance to shoot such a weapon, especially if the hit radius is slightly bigger then a grenade. Not only that but most targets would need to be stationary for it to be effective. Will this be a burden on the defense? Yes It will most certainly will, but you got to look at the facts... the target has to be stationary to fire and the range wouldn't be much different if not less then a mortar... you would ask "how could this be so if the weapon fires further then the mortar?" theoretically no, there’s a thing called "inheritance" in the coding.. The inheritance allows the player to add momentum to their shots. The cannon will have no inheritance what so ever and I would give it less of an arc to allow more direct front shots and not above shots. Still sounds too powerful? Would you believe me if I told you I can shoot a mortar and hit the base of the enemy and I wouldn't have to go far from my base. The mortar might have a 400 meter range, but it can go as far as probably 700 with right amount of momentum.

I think everyone can agree a heavy offense can be slight pain because of the splash it does, and how mobile the heavy can move around the enemy base. You can make more drag for the heavy but you will still have people spamming the enemy base, I'm simply trying to allow a heavy offense to still co-exist without the larger splashes and allow more accuracy and less spam.

Images below were taken with camera, because I couldn't use print screen button with windows 7. There were both chases and direct hits, I'm sure I've hit further on non-direct hits. Mortar_MA443.jpg Mortar_MA407.jpg

Immanent

Dev hax and Something mentioned about a Cannon
I would love to see a Canon ish weapon implemented in the game (mortar isn't really a cannon...) with its massive ass knockback. Even though it might not 1-hit KO, it would be pretty damn awesome to have massive knock back (more than the mortar), I'm talking like a 30-40 meter knockback. But that's what I would like to see :(

Application-1

test bester
Okay now this:
Large map like zenith. Heavy incoming at 200+- speed. Enemy HoF wants to BB/ODBlock you. You throw a mortar in his face. If not enough you OD through him. You grab flag. You are being chased, but still go 160+, have a lot of health and can shoot a chaser down with mortar.

And this is not the mortars fault, a cluster is even more effective for this.

Immanent

Okay now this:
Large map like zenith. Heavy incoming at 200+- speed. Enemy HoF wants to BB/ODBlock you. You throw a mortar in his face. If not enough you OD through him. You grab flag. You are being chased, but still go 160+, have a lot of health and can shoot a chaser down with mortar.

The only people I've seen do 200+- on Zenith with heavy are you and St3lth.
I thought iOD drastically kills your speed when you are going over 88?
The old clusters were beast for clearing the flagstand and what not.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer

I'd love to see a cannon-like weapon for HO players.

Okay now this:

I chase.. A lot.. lol. And I've definitely noticed a problem with this sort of thing. You get a heavy coming in at full speed and you fire a rocket it and get a direct hit on him right as he swoops into your base. He's going so fast he still hits your flag and comes out going almost as fast as he came in. You then proceed to attempt to chase him down, but often times, you just can't stop his momentum enough with shots and he'll make it back to the enemy base easily. It just seems to me that HO has become almost impossible to chase down and stop, let alone kill. They still have the mortar, and I've seen many HO's fire downward with the mortar to try to blow me up if I'm following in their footsteps as if it were a mine. I know I'm certainly not the best player in the game or best chaser, but still, I've yet to see a HO going +/- 200 die before reaching their base. If they get the flag, it's theirs. I can slow them down somewhat using the RL and GL, but the end result is the same: they get to their base before I can hope to stop them.

And there was a time where there were three of us chasing after the capper on Sleepwalker. One chaser got mortar-mined, leaving the other two of us. The other capper ate a rocket, which though he survived it, it slowed him enough that he wasn't going to be able to catch up. I managed to score a few more rockets on him, but he still survived and captured the flag.

Once again, I'm not the best, but I have seen this become more prolific as of late and the defense has a great deal of trouble stopping it.