That GL...

Created

The biggest thing I still hate about legions is how we still can't chase with the GL as Outrider... It always has to be rockets to chase efficiently.. But Deadguy said we will be able to chase with GL in the next batch of updates.:)
This is an opinion I don't understand at all, and yet it's apparently shared by a lot of players. The GL as it was before the updates allowed for chasing perfectly. When you shoot a grenade it's launched at it's base launch speed + your own speed. If you chase properly, and thus have a speed equal or greater than your opponent (easy to do as OR), then you can shoot nades before the capper very easily?

Disci

Old man
You can boost with GL just like with RL but you need to practise timing it. Why do you people keep telling others false information?

Lin

Lets be honest. How effective is the gl jump vs. the rl jump? How reliable?
I said its not possible. I meant its not practical

Lin

And I bet he worked pretty hard to get that good. A hell of a lot harder than he worked on rocket jumping.
And don't give me any of that "if you aren't good enough to do it maybe you shouldn't be talking" Theres a level of skill where its meant to happen, and a level where it isn't. I am of the opinion that the gl boost requires too much skill and timing to qualify as a plus to routine chasing.

Disci

Old man
Thing is, people don't even try. Why they would if they already have something such as RL which makes the boosting so much easier that you don't have to think about it. Just aim down/back and shoot depending on your speed. That's it.

I told you it's possible to boost with GL, which apparently you didn't know. You then came out with an argument that it's not practical, which just proves you haven't tried it just like most of the people because of very obivious reasons. Now, how can you say that the skill required for doing such a thing is too high to use it at a level where it becomes practical, when you haven't even tried to practise it yourself?

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Grenade jumping can be pretty darn efficient, provides more boost, but overall in a face paced match, just not worth it. I personally prefer the grenade combo boost as the main means of propulsion because they provide more boost - that's why I loved chasing with it back with the chain/grenade outrider combo and the rocket/grenade outrider combo. Not always that efficient, but certainly fun to play with.

Lin

Thing is, people don't even try. Why they would if they already have something such as RL which makes the boosting so much easier that you don't have to think about it. Just aim down/back and shoot depending on your speed. That's it.

I told you it's possible to boost with GL, which apparently you didn't know. You then came out with an argument that it's not practical, which just proves you haven't tried it just like most of the people because of very obivious reasons. Now, how can you say that the skill required for doing such a thing is too high to use it at a level where it becomes practical, when you haven't even tried to practise it yourself?
Ive always known it was possible.

You say that the fact that I said that grenade jumping isn't practical proves that I haven't tried it. This is the basis for your next statement which states that I can't possibly make judgments on skill required if I've never tried it. Your first statement hinges on the assumption that gl boosting actually is practical, and I would realize that if I had tried it.
I have tried it. I tried it a long time ago. I kept trying for a pretty long time. I still don't think its practical.
Why?
It takes longer than a rj. The grenade has an inherent detonation timer that means you must have at least a couple seconds of time for the grenade to bounce behind you and explode. That isn't always possible.
It deals more damage than a rj. Nades deal more damage, nade jumps also deal more damage. Pretty simple there.
Its less reliable. Regardless of how you put it, nade jumps are harder, more speed dependent, and more terrain dependent than rocket jumps.

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
i find that comboing with the gl is much easier when looking forwards, while rocket combos are easier when looking up or down.
grenade combos also give more speed but damage more.
grenade jumping has gotten alot harder now due to the new spring loaded nades.

Immanent

I keep forgetting that sarcasm is something that doesn't travel well across the medium of the Internet :/

I do acknowledge your sarcasm, but reply nevertheless. Sarcasm is pointless over the internet without the TRUE sarcasm emoticon.
SarcMark.jpg

Abandoned

Just after a PuG started, Freeman goes down the front bowl on Zenith Alpha and tries to GrenadeJump. Hilarious as he fails and takes out 32% of his health while getting nowhere and flying into the one of those towers. Ahh...