That GL...

Lin

The new GL update is proving pretty controversial, so I thought I'd just post up my opinion on where it should go before the next change:

The GL should become a med/long ranged splash based weapon that is less effective at close ranged ground pound/mas but rewards accuracy over distance.

-Make the arc less steep. Increases max range, allowing for longer shots.

-Increase damage. Landing more than a couple shots in a row on a moving target at long range with a ballistic weapon is extraordinarily difficult. IMO, should take no more than two close hits to down a raider.

-Keep the longer minimum range and bounce. Discourages use at close range, leaving the niche of the rocket launcher. Staying out of close/medium range means that it can't just be used as a higher damage, bigger splash rl. Maybe even up the minimum range if it feels op.

-Make it bounce off of players below the minimum detonation range. Means the higher damage and shallow arc don't contribute to crazy ass midair ability.

In effect, the changes here would mean a longer ranged weapon with powerful killing ability that loses effectiveness at close range.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
The grenade launcher has always been a ground-pound weapon, it's supposed to be close-ranged, high splash-damage. The new changes move away with it and emphasizes the 'bounce' mechanic, which does add a new mechanic to the game. Longer range is now a good possibility as well. People just need to get use to the changes.

-Make it bounce off of players below the minimum detonation range. Means the higher damage and shallow arc don't contribute to crazy ass midair ability.

Are you mad? Its tough enough to get damage on players with the grenades bouncing around. This will only add to the problem.

Lin

Are you mad? Its tough enough to get damage on players with the grenades bouncing around. This will only add to the problem.
The idea is that with theses changes the gl functions best outside of bouncing range, with the longer shots being offset by noticeably increased damage and less drop.

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
1. Long grenade shots are pretty much luck. Its useless making the range longer as grenades are a close-ish range weapon.
2. LESS DAMAGE ON GROUND POUND?
3. Why would you increase the damage of anything at a longer range?

So you're basically saying to render it useless in the categories of close range and midairs? That completely destroys the purpose of a grenade. Freeman will be dissapoint.

Lin

1: Long grenade shots aren't as lucky as you might think. If you tried, you could probably land about 50% of your shots at long range without much practice.

2: I don't see where it says groundpounding would result in less damage. I said it would be less effective, due to the longer minimum range and longer bounces, which are already on the test servers.

3: Again, thats nowhere in the post. I said the damage should be increased to offset the lack of midair capability and ensure killing ability even at long ranges.

I don't understand why the purpose of the gl must be close range and midairing. If we're changing up the weapon, why not change the weapon?

Mahidhar

In my opinion, these changes would render the weapon completely useless. I play in Public Test servers, every once in a while, and I rarely(if at all) see a person, chasing with the Grenade Launcher. They'd rather use a weapon like Skybolt, which would cover distance to the target much faster, and accuracy being directly related to the player's itself, and there are no terrain calculations required. Basically, it'll be a weapon, just for show.

Now, this is already the case in the test servers, but I'm just saying that these changes will further increase the distaste in the weapon.

Lin

I was trying to anticipate what the devs were trying to do. It seems to me like they won't be letting the gl fall back into its old niche, so im just trying to suggest another one. May or may not be useful like it was before.

Mhi200

I've definitely had a few come back toward me, with nothing but the player to bounce off. *shrug* Not sure why.

phanakapan

Private Tester
I like the arc of the current iteration, though the projectile should probably move a bit faster for longer range shots. I would be fine with a larger explosion area as well, and a faster reload timer, and more damage. I think grenades should be the go to weapon for chasing while cappers are on the ground, unless the terrain is relatively smooth and straight, which it rarely is. Hate tribes or not, but in tribes, medium to long range ground shots were more often made with the grenade launcher, and closer range shots were done with the less damaging but more precise disc launcher. Each filled a unique role. The old (nontest) version of the GL was very similar to the rocket launcher, making their usage more or less a matter of personal choice, rather than situational need. This same overlap is a major complaint with new weapons like the plasma vs chaingun, or blaster vs. rockets, and even for many people the bolt vs. rocket launcher (though the newest version of the bolt is different enough to fill specific roles such as long range finishing shots)

I think people should be open to changes that promote variety and give it a bit of time before complaining that we no longer have two very similar ways to splash damage at close range.

Mhi200

I haven't played with the new GL much, but from reading the changes I think I'd prefer the old one. As phanakapan says, this is only a matter of personal preference, as I generally used the old GL > the RL. (I suppose you could say I'd prefer Gl to say the same and changes be made to the RL to fit longer range shots, as this would probably suit me better [I'm NOT asking for this to happen, and I don't expect it would even be considered if I did, as then it would be even more like bolt])
Despite this, I'm happy that we're getting variety, even if it means I'm the one that has to change my use of weapons.

@Lin: I always thought MA bounces were probably intentional, but perhaps not. :p

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
what about relating it to speed? i'm sure if you are going faster the grenade is more likely to explode, encouraging it's use for chasing and less for dueling.

p.s. it should always explode if it touches a player. no bouncing off players -.-

I play in Public Test servers, every once in a while, and I rarely(if at all) see a person, chasing with the Grenade Launcher.

The biggest thing I still hate about legions is how we still can't chase with the GL as Outrider... It always has to be rockets to chase efficiently.. But Deadguy said we will be able to chase with GL in the next batch of updates.:)