TDM Suggestion.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
One idea that I really liked, and I believe it was Redvan that brought this up, was for 'Damage Caused' to be displayed. It could be this value that would decide the individual 'scoring order' of the match (though the Team's Kills/Deaths would decide the winning team).

Propkid

Assists could be added to the score board (it would go to the player who deals the most damage toward an enemy who gets killed by someone else). You really just have to deal with the kill stealing, and you should probably try to do it yourself. In a way, I even kill steal. I pretty much shoot at anything that moves with a red name that I feel I can hit (as to not waste ammo). That one extra second of life you take away from the enemy when your teammate might be having trouble killing him could possibly save your teammate. KS and get KSed. No biggie, it helps out the team more than it hurts it (as long as the player doesn't get angry or anything).

Killstealing. Not that I whine about it: I do it and I know others don't really like it.
True that, but then if I'm the sniper I end up KSing everyone's kills in sight.
I assume that by 'you' you meant 'people'. I lost all my 'gaming morality' a while ago, so that now if I see an exploit/advantage I use it and annoy the cookies out of everyone until someone notices and it's fixed.

Also, IMO griefing won't be a big problem. If someone currently sticks to L:O he needs to have the guts, and such players don't grief. Once L:O will be more noob(griefer)-friendly, we will have an established community with admins. So no worries.

smile_wars

You and your teammates frag enemies together, individual scores don't matter. It's your team's fragcount that matters.

I agree with this.

Also I have yet to be in a TDM where my 'team'mate hasn't shot me yet. Something to enhance teamwork is needed, this is TDM after all, not Individual DM. Negative scoring for friendly fire could help this.

57thRomance

Also I have yet to be in a TDM where my 'team'mate hasn't shot me yet. Something to enhance teamwork is needed, this is TDM after all, not Individual DM. Negative scoring for friendly fire could help this.
I believe this feature is already in effect. -1 for TKs.
Blog said:
First of all we've now got Team Deathmatch as a game mode for Legions. No need to worry about that pesky flag, just kill the enemy team as much as possible in 25 minutes! Killing a player from the opposite team gives you and your team 1 point, any team kills results in you and your team losing a point. There may be a couple of issues with TDM, however it's time to let you guys play it.

trinium

Private Tester
Responses like "go play COD" ... <3. Useless. Some of us want to help improve this game instead of exploiting imbalances / running off new players because it/they might threaten your zomgPubAllStar status , lol.

Yes, the objective is for the team to win, but i like to deal in realities, and around 3 out of 10 public games is actually balanced. The rest are regulars/teams vs all. Of those 3 balanced game, maybe 1 is actually played with any type of teamwork.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
How it should be working and how it "is working" are two different things. The majority of TDM play in this genre is on public servers and i have yet to see a game where it has not turned into a complete shitstorm because over half the players only care about their personal score ... including some of you that have posted above. (<_<(

Why thank you for the personal insight into looking at what can be improved in TDM. People want to get good though, that public servers are the place to do that. This is true in Capture the Flag and Team Deathmatch. It is the training ground, and you cannot blame people for not treating it like so. The people who complain about Public games are the people who don't play pickups often due to their own reasons. Sure, public games can be improved, but we won't see such dramatic change until vote systems and ingame moderators are introduced.

I for one do not care about personal score, I care about the team winning. I only use the score as a reference to see how well I'm doing that, and then analyse how I can do it better.

DKnight556

One thing I hate is that I'll defeat my attack retreat and re-spawn but it still counts as their kill. Can we make it so that if the person does less than 50% or if you heal back up to 51% that it won't call it as their kill.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
One thing I hate is that I'll defeat my attack retreat and re-spawn but it still counts as their kill. Can we make it so that if the person does less than 50% or if you heal back up to 51% that it won't call it as their kill.
This is TDM, not a duel/gauntlet/arena mode. Ask yourself, why do you respawn?

MJ1284

People want to get good though, that public servers are the place to do that. This is true in Capture the Flag and Team Deathmatch. It is the training ground, and you cannot blame people for not treating it like so. The people who complain about Public games are the people who don't play pickups often due to their own reasons. Sure, public games can be improved, but we won't see such dramatic change until vote systems and ingame moderators are introduced.
Reason why I'm complaining in Public games is usually due to team stacking skill-wise which certainly DOES NOT help new people learn new things. And we probably wouldn't have such team stacking if there were working alternatives (PUGs that fall apart 50% of the time does not count as "working alternative", mind you), I certainly wouldn't mind if there'd be specific servers for veterans and specific servers for newbloods (anyone remember Splatterfest of Azeroth server from Tribes 1? Good times).

I for one do not care about personal score, I care about the team winning. I only use the score as a reference to see how well I'm doing that, and then analyse how I can do it better.
I use scoreboard in similar way, if other team has plenty of players well above 300 points and other team has people who are struggling to get past 100 I can make assumption latter team doesn't get much done compared to first team.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Reason why I'm complaining in Public games is usually due to team stacking skill-wise which certainly DOES NOT help new people learn new things. And we probably wouldn't have such team stacking if there were working alternatives (PUGs that fall apart 50% of the time does not count as "working alternative", mind you), I certainly wouldn't mind if there'd be specific servers for veterans and specific servers for newbloods (anyone remember Splatterfest of Azeroth server from Tribes 1? Good times).

Obviously you will learn nothing new about team work in publics, but I was referring to individual skills. Pickups are a working alternative to this problem actually, and they rarely fall massively apart now, though proper close good games are rare anyhow. As for your server suggestion though, this would only ever work with more people in the community now, and proper skill matching like in quake live, though that is also buggy and based on stats. If I was a new player to the game (but had played tribes), and I was being shoved into a game of newbloods, because the system thought he was new too, how would that work? I would probably get very frustrated and leave the game. Of course you can put in systems to stop this type of scenario, but should the devs really be wasting time on this?

I use scoreboard in similar way, if other team has plenty of players well above 300 points and other team has people who are struggling to get past 100 I can make assumption latter team doesn't get much done compared to first team.

Totally, I tend to find that it is not pro's that make a match on balanced (i.e. two decent people on one side), but the amount of not-so-good average players on each side.

MJ1284

As for your server suggestion though, this would only ever work with more people in the community now, and proper skill matching like in quake live, though that is also buggy and based on stats. If I was a new player to the game (but had played tribes), and I was being shoved into a game of newbloods, because the system thought he was new too, how would that work? I would probably get very frustrated and leave the game. Of course you can put in systems to stop this type of scenario, but should the devs really be wasting time on this?

Skill != stats.
This system is too open for stat grinding abuse, hench making it rather pointless since everybody can grind.
I've though of two systems for this issue:
1. System that permits you to unlock servers based on how many gameplay hours you've accumulated/how long you've been registered on Legions main server. While not perfect it would reduce chances that first-time newbloods ends up facing multiple veterans and there wouldn't be so many situations where same 2-3 people keep dominating the server.. basically this would give vague idea how experienced players you'll find in each server, if you're joining "total newblood" server you can expect to see different sorts of players than in a server that'd, for example, require 30 gameplay hours before it's unlocked. While gameplay hours is not accurate measure how good people are at Legions I'd think this is easier system to implement than my second suggestion.

2. Other system I had in mind was (assuming we'll ever get proper tutorials) server unlocking tied to tutorials/challenges you've played through (challenges could range from getting from spot A to spot B withint certain time or grabbing flag from ground/midflight under specific conditions, you get the idea). It would of course take loads of playtesting to make adequately difficult challenges without making them downright impossible, but in a long run it would guarantee that when you're entering specific servers you KNOW what things your teammates & opponents are capable of doing, thus lessening frustration caused by noticetable skill gap between the teams.

As for " should the devs really be wasting time on this?":
At current state, I'd much rather see devs focus on new maps and content (OD cores, weapons, maps etc.) but I'd say this sort of system would definitely make it easier for players to find games that matches their own skill levels. It's no different from difficulty selection in video games: If game is too easy you'll get bored, if game is too hard you'll get frustrated. In PUGs you know who you're playing with (ie. you know how challenging game it's gonna be) but in Publics it's totally random who you end up playing with (and you'll often run into too easy/too hard scenarios I mentioned above).

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Skill != stats.

True, but you can't measure skill mathematically, but you can stats.

As for the rest of your post, the systems have an up and downside to them. I'd much rather see the servers as they are now, but with stat based team management so that the computer and weigh up everyone's stats and put the two teams together with the most equal amount of stat points - while this system is not perfect, it'd be alot quicker and simpler (In my opinion) to set up rather than the systems you have described.

Abandoned

Another suggestion I'm putting forward is: We could give the newbloods an option to join the "Newbloods Only" server, whilst not limitting them from having their own pick.

I like this idea, although it's TEAM deathmatch, the current system only records and shows +1 kill to the person who did the last damage.
I would get an opponent down to less than 10% onlyto have my teammate hit 2 CG bullets and gain a kill.