TDM Suggestion.

trinium

Private Tester
I noticed that in TDM servers, you only get points if you complete a kill , regardless of if you do 1% dmg or 100%. This is allowing players to bait teammates, wait for them do deal a who lot of dmg (die), and then chain them out. Its only been a few days, but already a handful of "our ego driven" players have honed these "skills" and are using this to pad their stats and admonish others who choose not to do this. And , when multiple people are trying to kill one target, it's leading to people using FF or overdrive to try and distract teammates rather than cooperation.

Possible Fix: make kills worth 5 points , for example, and divide the points off damage done .. or add a second score column that has a tally of total dmg done. That way any " . . . . measuring" that may go on is based more off of skill and not off of how well you can pad your stats.

Abandoned

I like this idea. I've mostly do all the damage and reduce their health down to sub20%, then a teammate comes off and does a finisher, snipers aswell (I understand and forgive snipers). What do I get? 1 point and the 1 hit person gets 10 points. :l

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Guys, it is team deathmatch! You and your team should be working together to get more frags than the enemy, personal stats do not matter, If I'm a sniper, and I get someone down to 20%, my team can then take out that guy easily. Although frustrating, at the end of the day, your team winning is the most important thing.

MJ1284

For DM this would be okay.
TDM is fine the way it is, as Fireblasto pointed out it's TEAM Deathmatch where you and your TEAM work together to acheive higher killcount than the other TEAM. It's same as CTF matches, individual performances matters very little because it's all about playing as a TEAM.

Also, TEAM.

Propkid

If I'm a sniper, and I get someone down to 20%, my team can then take out that guy easily. Although frustrating, at the end of the day, your team winning is the most important thing.
True that, but then if I'm the sniper I end up KSing everyone's kills in sight. Individual scores should be also tracked properly. Individuals can be rewarded properly AND it can still be TEAM ;p.

I've seen TDM individual scoring system done in many different ways:

1. Only kills and assists are counted. Each player dealing a significant amount of damage to the killed person within reasonable time gets 25 points. A kill, regardless of who performed it, is worth 50 points. One can not get both the points for an assist and a kill upon killing an opponent (CoDish approach).

2. The points awarded to the player are equivalent to the damage he deals, and are awarded upon dealing the damage. A kill after dealing considerable damage (more than 40%hp) is 'bonus points' which equal ~half the maximum health points of the killed player. If someone kills without dealing more than 40% damage he's awarded less points per that kill.

3. Points awarded upon a hit. Very similar to 2. but the rewards would be different depending upon the type of weapon dealing the damage and the 'quality' of the hit. This is more of a skill rating rather than efficiency rating: a RL midair would give more points than a direct RL hit on the ground.

Personally I'm not a fan of #3, but I'd be fine with any of the above. Remember that this is not how the game would be scored, but how individuals would be rated in game; teams would still be scored by the number of kills.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
True that, but then if I'm the sniper I end up KSing everyone's kills in sight. Individual scores should be also tracked properly. Individuals can be rewarded properly AND it can still be TEAM ;p.

1. Only kills and assists are counted. Each player dealing a significant amount of damage to the killed person within reasonable time gets 25 points. A kill, regardless of who performed it, is worth 50 points. One can not get both the points for an assist and a kill upon killing an opponent (CoDish approach).

2. The points awarded to the player are equivalent to the damage he deals, and are awarded upon dealing the damage. A kill after dealing considerable damage (more than 40%hp) is 'bonus points' which equal ~half the maximum health points of the killed player. If someone kills without dealing more than 40% damage he's awarded less points per that kill.

3. Points awarded upon a hit. Very similar to 2. but the rewards would be different depending upon the type of weapon dealing the damage and the 'quality' of the hit. This is more of a skill rating rather than efficiency rating: a RL midair would give more points than a direct RL hit on the ground.

Personally I'm not a fan of #3, but I'd be fine with any of the above. Remember that this is not how the game would be scored, but how individuals would be rated in game; teams would still be scored by the number of kills.

Above is trash, keep it simple. It isn't a hard concept for new players to understand then, 1 Frag, 1 Point

Propkid

Above is trash, keep it simple. It isn't a hard concept for new players to understand then, 1 Frag, 1 Point
Killstealing. Not that I whine about it: I do it and I know others don't really like it.
1 Frag, 1 point for the team= sure, but there should be some better system for individual scoring. Be it that or let's have individual scores removed at all since it's all about the TEAM that should be working together.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Killstealing. Not that I whine about it: I do it and I know others don't really like it.
1 Frag, 1 point for the team= sure, but there should be some better system for individual scoring. Be it that or let's have individual scores removed at all since it's all about the TEAM that should be working together.

Let all individual scores begone! Its all about the team.

Abandoned

Go play your CoD. This is legions and we don't accept CoD-ish gameplay/reward system.

MJ1284

I still don't see how killstealing isn't a good thing in TDM, it's exactly the point of TDM: You and your teammates frag enemies together, individual scores don't matter. It's your team's fragcount that matters.

Fixious

Test Lead
I still don't see how killstealing isn't a good thing in TDM, it's exactly the point of TDM: You and your teammates frag enemies together, individual scores don't matter. It's your team's fragcount that matters.
But...but...MY SCORE!

crying_baby.gif

OmniNept

Actionaut
Doesn't really matter. When we ran TDM ladders, we counted team deaths, not kills - a system that prevented people circumventing poor positioning/play through suicides.

Individual scores aren't important: if someone steals your kill, be glad you didn't have to waste the ammo/time/effort.

Skepsis

if someone steals your kill, be glad you didn't have to waste the ammo/time/effort.

The thing is you waste your ammo/time/effort on trying to finish off your opponent then your teammate comes and steals it from you. But overall, "Individual scores aren't important" :)

I believe they should show individual kills and deaths. Some people, like myself, like to assess how well they're doing by seeing scores like these. I'm not going to go into a random PUB and really give a *chocolate cookies* about how my team's doing (unless they're totally sucking and it's bringing my fun down) if I'm there to improve my dueling.

As for KSing, it's whatever. You KS, you get KSed. It (sorta) evens out. I do like the death system better than the kill system though. Like each team starts out with 100 lives and loses one whenever someone dies, whether it's by respawn or being killed.

Propkid

I believe they should show individual kills and deaths. Some people, like myself, like to assess how well they're doing by seeing scores like these.
Yeah exactly, but if we are to keep the individual scoring system then let's make it more reflective of an individuals performance, because ATM it doesn't really provide good info for assessing anyone but KSers.

OmniNept

Actionaut
Scoring with deaths doesn't work in pubs, as it's too easy to grief. Most games handle suicides by subtracting their number from the team's total - something that I'd like to see implemented for competition, but that (again) wouldn't work in pubs.

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
Scoring with deaths doesn't work in pubs, as it's too easy to grief. Most games handle suicides by subtracting their number from the team's total - something that I'd like to see implemented for competition, but that (again) wouldn't work in pubs.

for pubs it you could take away 2 from your score and none from the team score if you re-spawn. it wouldn't really work on more team orientated matches though...

Yeah exactly, but if we are to keep the individual scoring system then let's make it more reflective of an individuals performance, because ATM it doesn't really provide good info for assessing anyone but KSers.

Assists could be added to the score board (it would go to the player who deals the most damage toward an enemy who gets killed by someone else). You really just have to deal with the kill stealing, and you should probably try to do it yourself. In a way, I even kill steal. I pretty much shoot at anything that moves with a red name that I feel I can hit (as to not waste ammo). That one extra second of life you take away from the enemy when your teammate might be having trouble killing him could possibly save your teammate. KS and get KSed. No biggie, it helps out the team more than it hurts it (as long as the player doesn't get angry or anything).

I thought about that, but I don't think it'd be a very big problem with such a small community (so long as their are admins floating around). If a player really wanted to grief, they could just continually let their opponent kill them over and over (though it's a little harder than just pressing the respawn button). Hell, we could add a timer to the respawn button if needed (there's also other work arounds I'm sure people can think of that would help decrease the griefing).

If anything, the X amount of lives thing should be a gametype for private matches, such as PUGs and team games. It'd be nice little add-on to see.