Swamp Map

stefygraff

Private Tester
Alright, this is a large and complex project that might never be finished.

The most important ad given to legions with this map will be water shape(this will involve a lot of work.
All the buildings will be created by me and will have that swamp style.

MAP PHOTO:

swamp2.jpg

I have the water shape to work in the editor, but Im having some problems related to the dts (Im trying to overwrite the lava dts with the water one- the result is not that good for now)

Things to work:

Make a viable and good water shape;
Fix terrain texutre
Fix hills
Create a dam for the front and a few swamp style bridges and towers.

Probably the map will not be released into public before its totally finished, or be pushed out into private test or something.
For now I need someone that can help me out with the .dts & .dds files, pm me if you think you can help and I will give you the current version for the map!

NOTE: from player-perspective the water add dose somehow affect the gameplay, did not test it out with someone, looking forward after water is fixed!.

Delpicy

I thought the engine isn't compatible with water? Do you play on using water as just a surface to glide on, so it wouldn't really change anything? Do you plan on having the water just affect you like a cloud level, you have impaired vision seeing through it (like you can't see the ground below the water until you go under, etc)? Is it supposed to affet your skiing, i.e. slow you down, reduced gravity, etc.? You can only do one of those things; I don't think it's possible (or if it is, WAY too much work) to create dynamic water that moves and stuff. I'd be happy to help you test this.

stefygraff

Private Tester
Its not going to affect the skiing, for bow its just for the visual effect that it creats, the swamp map looks pretty cool. You will be able to go underwater, but nothing will change.

This map will prove that water shapes can be implemented in-game with no lag, but it wount be too complex

Looks gurd. Reminds me of that T2 map with the bases and the pipes next to the lakes with the flag stand in the middle of said lakes. Can't wait to test it out :D

Defender

I thought the engine isn't compatible with water? Do you play on using water as just a surface to glide on, so it wouldn't really change anything? Do you plan on having the water just affect you like a cloud level, you have impaired vision seeing through it (like you can't see the ground below the water until you go under, etc)? Is it supposed to affet your skiing, i.e. slow you down, reduced gravity, etc.? You can only do one of those things; I don't think it's possible (or if it is, WAY too much work) to create dynamic water that moves and stuff. I'd be happy to help you test this.

The engine this game runs on is TGEA, I was told. It was designed with a nice advanced water system. The old Dev team disabled it or removed the data for it, I think. Even the older engine TGE, has water. The engine tribes2 runs on has water. They took the engine tribes2 runs on and made TGE, then this engine about 10 years later.

TGEA Water System Overview
http://docs.garagegames.com/tgea/official/content/documentation/Water/Water Overview.html

stefygraff

Private Tester
Yes, did get some documentation for all the water problem first, turns out that changing the lava dds texture to water works perfect. The only drawback is making a new dif, thats where i need help (either make a new dif animation or modify the current RedGem.dts so it can work with water detail)

Delpicy

Its just going to be blue with a strong blue haze underwater, if its anything like one of the core versions. If i remember correctly, core (or another map, forget exactly), had lava, and it was red with nearly impossible to see through red haze when you went under it (and died).

Delpicy

There's probably an image that they use for the "haze" so to speak; can probably edit the image to be more translucent with gimp/photoshop. If its the RedGem.dts file that stefy pointed out, or any .dts file for that matter, it requires that you have bought the torque engine to look at it

stefygraff

Private Tester
what happens visually if you go underwater?

May sound stupid and bad... But nothing, its just a shape, nothibg fancy involved :)

Its just going to be blue with a strong blue haze underwater, if its anything like one of the core versions. If i remember correctly, core (or another map, forget exactly), had lava, and it was red with nearly impossible to see through red haze when you went under it (and died).

Nothing happened if you went under the lava.

And when it comes to transparency, im sure its possible, but first i need good water editing for. Dts and. Dds.

ARTIST NEEDED!

stefygraff

Private Tester
New add on the map: i created the Dam for the front of the base(will add some cool gaps in it so slide better)

swampp1.jpg

And for all those curious to see how dose it look underwater click here

im still getting problems with creating the shape and all that, but i remembered that pop made the DTS tutorial, its a good start for now, lets hope I will get the hand of it pretty soon. Again, if anyone has the capacity to create a new water shape or modify the RedGem.dts in-game just tell me, once i get the water done, rest is a piece of cake!

k e v i n

Private Tester
so if that's water, and ur able to go under it...does it slow you down, or are you still able to maintain whatever speed you were going before u entered the water?

k e v i n

Private Tester
this would probably be alot of work and absolutely no point...but it would be cool if bubbles came out of the person and their weapons

for example...you would see bubbles coming out one another while your underwater...and if they shoot lets just say a rocket, bubbles would come out of the trail and rise to the surface

Delpicy

Its not necessarily useless; atm it works more like a cloud line than water. It would be cool to have a map with a cloud line and mountains/steep hills and whatnot, which seems quite doable from this map. Unless it is specifically a water type thing that you've added; of which I'm guessing there has to be methods dealing with entering/exiting the water, which means you could easily say upon entering, slow speed by 20%, etc. And for a cloudline, when above it, increase speed by 20%! haha. That is assuming that there are ways to tell if you entered/exited the water. http://docs.garagegames.com/torque-...entation/Scripting/Overview/Introduction.html has many sounds to apply with water, didn't see any triggers though.

stefygraff

Private Tester
For now the main objective is making the water shape(fid get some help from PWA and im sure its all i need)

Related to motion and dynamics of playing underwater: think about how bad it would distrupt the gameplay ;). the water shape will be implemented just to look cool. We will try to add as much content as possible to the map though, bubbles sound nice lol

stefygraff

Private Tester
Alright, i did work on the map, the progress is slow, only aprox. 40% is finished.

More info about the map:
-As you will see in the following pictures, the map will have a big green lake in the center area;
-Also, the center area will be a bit flat (don't rush with bad impressions now...) side routes will be medium type of capping (just so everyone can play the map);
-The water will not affect the physics at all,its very shallow and you don't go underwater anymore;
-Related to new buildings, i will add more contend and wood shapes- bridges and towers!
-Map is the size of Frostbyte.

Pics:

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

This is how the towers will look like, most probably i will place a few on the Big Island.

untitled-2.jpg

EDIT: im also looking for private ALPHA and BETA testers for this map, if you feel fit enough to give constructive feedback about hills/ terrain/ base design do not hesitate to pm me