Suggestions for types of turrets

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Here comes the chaser, chaingun blazing as soon as he boosts into the air. His job is to kill whatever has his flag, and return his flag, at any and all costs.
I lol'd at this.

At any rate, I'm personally of the opinion that cores should always be buffs to one's self, weapons should inflict debuffs to others (even if it is as simple as damage), and deployables would do either. If there was some sort of mortar/bombardment turret, it would assist LO significantly as it would allow and LO (or HO) to bring in some assistance to help take down the deployables. Not to mention the fact that you can rocket snipe most anything.. Honestly, you'd probably want any static base assets (permanent turrets, gen, etc) to have shields or they'll just die within the first few seconds of the game (see: Tribes Ascend).

Also, one could assume that certain weapons would be especially good at taking down turrets. Plasma would likely take down shields easily, allowing for other weapons to bring down the actual health. Sin, what you just need to keep in mind is that if the offense is actually good, there will be offensive deployables set up in difficult to hit spots. Turrets needn't be just defensive emplacements.

Sin

Private Tester
anything can qualify as overpowered if someone knows how to use it (see finnbots). and i never said homing, i said heat-seeking, which implies that there is some kind of range to the turret otherwise it would shoot missiles from across the map to your base :rolleyes:

i rest my case
missed the part where i was referring to your post?
also, i see your point volt. just throwing in some ideas.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
No, I definitely do see your point and I agree for the most part. This will benefit the defense more than offense, but if the offense gets their act together, it's not a problem. Sure, they'll still be up against good opposition, but nonetheless, they should be able to break through and at least distract enough to allow cappers the opportunity.

Mahidhar

How about just energy seekers? The rocket will be closing in as long as he's activated his jets. There could be sensors in the HUD for the indication of the incoming missile. If the player turns off his jets, the energy seeker would move in a straight line from it's last known direction of the energy signature. Meaning, like a normal rocket.

This needs to be done only with manned turrets and proper lock on must be made before the rocket could follow a player. If allies close in on the targeted enemy and the enemy shuts off his energy, there is a chance that the rocket could it the allies instead of the enemy, if they are closer to the rocket and have been using energy at the same time.

Immanent

How about just energy seekers? The rocket will be closing in as long as he's activated his jets. There could be sensors in the HUD for the indication of the incoming missile. If the player turns off his jets, the energy seeker would move in a straight line from it's last known direction of the energy signature. Meaning, like a normal rocket.

This needs to be done only with manned turrets and proper lock on must be made before the rocket could follow a player. If allies close in on the targeted enemy and the enemy shuts off his energy, there is a chance that the rocket could it the allies instead of the enemy, if they are closer to the rocket and have been using energy at the same time.

I can imagine noobs getting pew pewed that skii very very slowly from alpha to beta base on Nivosus.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer

Way too easy to defeat missiles. Boost into the air for a second and release your jets.

Mahidhar

True, but also remember that the missiles will be travelling in the last known direction of the energy signature. Therefore, that is when your "jet-less" maneuverability comes into play.

Also, we all know that the faster you move in this game, the harder it will be for you to turn while preserving speed(cappers do that often), and that is where these babies shine.

Application-1

test bester
EMP turret.
Mid range turret that shoots electric powered rockets, that do only 20% damage with 0 knockback to a outrider.
BUT, it disables cores for 5 seconds. And only shoots once per 10 seconds and need to recharge then. While recharging it is a bit more vulnerable. And it is pretty accurate.

Maybe even 0% damage.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
EMP turret.
Mid range turret that shoots electric powered rockets, that do only 20% damage with 0 knockback to a outrider.
BUT, it disables cores for 5 seconds. And only shoots once per 10 seconds and need to recharge then. While recharging it is a bit more vulnerable. And it is pretty accurate.

Maybe even 0% damage.

Idk... Those rockets would be vicious... Cappers without OD or Warp are dead or lucky. They'd better be dumb-fire and slow moving. :confused: If those things aren't...

Application-1

test bester
Idk... Those rockets would be vicious... Cappers without OD or Warp are dead or lucky. They'd better be dumb-fire and slow moving. :confused: If those things aren't...
Capping without cores is possible with ease. And those turrets should not have a lot of health of course. I think with the right testing and tweaks, this could really be a original and awesome base asset.

And considering LO jumps in first they could take the first hit of the turret anyway, because it does little to no damage. This really could bring some interesting gameplay.

Application-1

test bester
Well, I meant that if they had set up a route for their core rather than sheer speed their odds wouldn't be good..
Thats why someone needs to destroy it. :|
I have seen mortar turrets hitting people on their way in on a very fast route in tribes. This turret is way less worse then a mortar turret or anything else considered heavy weapon.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
I do like the sound of the EMP turrets. I agree with VoltCruelerz, though, in that they should be dumbfire. There could be a predictive aimbot built in, so that it leads its shots (that would be a necessity, of course) but then it would give cappers a chance to make an alteration to their elevation to dodge around the rockets. Perhaps instead of rockets, its just a blue shockwave thing (as far as looks are concerned. This is the future, we can have these things.)

As to a selection of different weapons to be more effective at taking down deployables, I think it would be smart to have the LR be ineffective towards turrets. The arguments for this option are fairly obvious. It would promote Osniping, and the player could be outside the range of the turret. I think shorter-ranged weapons (Mortar, plasma, grenade launcher) should be most effective against turrets, as it would, as I see it right now, give a little more balance to the turret destroyability.

I'm thinking kind of along TF2 standards here, with the most powerful classes (as I've noticed) against the turrets are the demoman and the pyro. which both have limited range weapons.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
I was thinking about having certain weapons be more/less effective. Plasma perhaps would be good against them since it has the most limited range?

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
I've always liked the idea of a shielding system for base assets. Basically, assets would have a constantly regenerating shield that would need to be dwindled away at before the asset itself begins to receive damage. So, for longer range weapons such as the laser rifle, it would be kinda useless against turrets at range (due to the LR's low RoF, the constantly regenerating shielding would keep the turret protected for the most part.)

Weapons could also have modifiers against shielding. IE: Chaingun would be less effective against shielding; Rockets would have no modifier to shielding; Burner would be more effective against shielding.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Assets would need shields, otherwise they'll get rocket sniped from across the map...

As for how effective things would be (if modifiers were added)...
  • CG: 90%
  • RL: 100%
  • GL: 100%
  • Cluster: 110%
  • Mortar: 100%
  • BR: 20% (if a DoT was added, allow that to deal extra damage to turret health to balance)
  • LR: 80%
  • Plasma: 120%
  • Bolt: 60%

That_Guy

im suprised nobody has thought of this one....how about a health turret? shoots you team and heals you at an acccelerated rate. say 50% faster? but make them REALLY easy to kill.

Let's see... Since we can assume that all turrets will be predictive aimbots...

Note: RoF times are given in rounds per second

Standard Turret:
Description: a simple CG style turret that relies on rapid-fire mechanics to hit the target, has some spread​
Lock Time: .2 s​
Damage: 2​
RoF: 10​
Impulse: 30 N​
Velocity: 1000 m/s​
Range: 100 m​

Plasma Turret:
Description: heavy turrets that fire highly destructive balls of plasma​
Lock Time: .4​
Damage: 40​
RoF: .5​
Impulse: 4000​
Velocity: 200​
Range: 200​
Lightning Turret:
Description: hitscan weapon that damages all enemies in range​
Lock Time: 0​
Damage: .5​
RoF: 30​
Impulse: 10​
Velocity: hitscan​
Range: 40​
Laser Turret:
Description: hitscan weapon that damages enemies at long range; because it is a long-range hitscan, it is impossible to dodge and thus has VERY low damage output​
Lock Time: 2​
Damage: 4​
RoF: .333333​
Impulse: 2300​
Velocity: hitscan​
Range: 600​
Rocket Turret:
Description: fires tracking rockets that will continue to pursue the target; missiles have health of 1; missiles have a maximum turning rate so can be outmaneuvered​
Lock Time: 1.2​
Damage: 12​
RoF: 2​
Impulse: 1700​
Velocity: 180​
Range: 200​
Projectile Lifetime: 7 seconds​
Portable Mortar:
Description: fires parabolic weapons and will attack things even outside it's line of sight if it can find a path for the shell <runs from Triad :eek: >​
Lock Time: 3​
Damage: 50​
RoF: .6​
Impulse: 3400​
Velocity: 140​
Range: 400​
Minimum Angle: 20 degrees​
Maximum Angle: 80 degrees​
the portable mortar sounds like a bad bad idea