Steam Game Guides

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sin

Private Tester
Steam is a LONG time off. Plus, this won't even be the game going on Steam, the redone version will.

Defender

Steam is a LONG time off. Plus, this won't even be the game going on Steam, the redone version will.
Thank god...
This version is better off as a standalone game.
I'm still wondering about the reasoning to even make a new version of this game, it was not vary successful at all.
Usually only popular successful games are remade again.:confused:

Fixious

Test Lead
New players aren't attracted to L:O because they get absolutely slaughtered by the existing playerbase who have been playing for years. There's literally no point in trying to 'revive' the current version of Legions because of this. 1.40 is aimed at us, the current playerbase. They're better off starting from scratch on a game that'll be new to everyone from the start than trying to bring new players into L:O.

Triad

Legions Developer
Thank god...
This version is better off as a standalone game.
I'm still wondering about the reasoning to even make a new version of this game, it was not vary successful at all.
Usually only popular successful games are remade again.:confused:
Why do you care if you don't even play the game?

Defender

Why do you care if you don't even play the game?

I Just started playing again since I moved back to California.
For 14 months my internet connection in Sequim, WA, sucked and made it vary difficult to play this or any online games much at all.
I've tried to contribute to this game by making a few maps, witch no one really appreciates any how.

New players aren't attracted to L:O because they get absolutely slaughtered by the existing playerbase who have been playing for years. There's literally no point in trying to 'revive' the current version of Legions because of this. 1.40 is aimed at us, the current playerbase. They're better off starting from scratch on a game that'll be new to everyone from the start than trying to bring new players into L:O.

I remember one of the Devs, saying the physics from the current Legions was going to be ported over to the new engine and game.
If the game speed stays vary fast like it is now, I'm guessing a lot of new players will still get owned like they do now.
If we had a slower game mode maybe that would help. I am planing on making one for the current Legions.[/quote]

Armageddon

Teapot

Hopefully it won't be as "new" as you make it sound, i would hope the steam version of legions will still have the basics and if it does "new" players will still get slaughtered. Which they should since most of us have been playing this game far far too long.

Fixious

Test Lead
All depends on how well they educate newcomers on what's important and how to perform the stuff that matters, a fault HiRez is guilty of with Ascend. Unfortunately we the community will likely have to come up with tutorials, which could be devastating for the game.

xlr8434

All depends on how well they educate newcomers on what's important and how to perform the stuff that matters, a fault HiRez is guilty of with Ascend. Unfortunately we the community will likely have to come up with tutorials, which could be devastating for the game.

"WE CAN DO IT!!!!!" -Dora the explorer

MJ1284

Unfortunately we the community will likely have to come up with tutorials, which could be devastating for the game.
IMO there are plenty enough tutorials around, it's just that most tutorials are either huge Text Walls of China (which are intimidating for new players) or they're zero-informative "Press W A S D to move, use mouse to look around and fire, 'nuff said go and play". And before you suggest making tutorial videos, it's been suggested 70 times before and I've yet to see any proper tutorial video (besides this video which was uploaded in 2008).

TL;DR Make a proper tutorial FOR EACH ARMOR TYPE & ROLE before you try bringing in new people to a game that isn't just a mindless twitch shooter.

Triad

Legions Developer
I Just started playing again since I moved back to California.
For 14 months my internet connection in Sequim, WA, sucked and made it vary difficult to play this or any online games much at all.
I've tried to contribute to this game by making a few maps, witch no one really appreciates any how.
That's because your maps aren't made for Legions; you design them for some other slow paced game that nobody plays. Legions maps are very specific and require you to understand the game at a deep level. There needs to be a balance of decent front routes and side routes for both bases; the flag stands need to be friendly to HOFs; the bases need to be a certain distance from each other (not too far, not too close); the bases need to have a similar setup so they can be equally defended and attacked; the terrain needs to be properly smoothened so skiing is possible without taking a ton of collision damage; there needs to be the right amount of hills positioned at the right places with good angles that allow for decent routes; you need uncopyrighted material...And once you have done all this you have to test it over and over and make changes.

Every time Contingency has made a map he has ended up changing a significant amount of the map after testing. You need cappers to cap on it constantly to find all the issues it has because there will always be a base with ridiculous routes that could never be guarded while the other one may only have shitty routes.

Defender

Wow your so negitive.:eek:
You need to remember most of my maps are beta, the terrains will be smoothed more and made maybe faster If I am able to ever get players to help me test them.. Lol, I am sure glad you played and tested every map of mine..:rolleyes:
Some of my maps use basicly base terrains like FrostByteJacked.
I do have plenty of fast skiing maps but many of mine are not made for fast skiing, like NocturnalRise.
Most of my latest maps do not use any "copyrighted material" or new terrain textures.
I mostly only use new skyboxs "licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial"
You need to ask your self what can you do to to make this game more attractive to new players.
Right now this game is to darm fast when it comes to skiing and movment for newer players to be competitive.
I made some maps that slow skiing down for a reason.;)

Crisis12096

Making maps that slow down skiing only destroys one of the finer points of the game. This game was meant to be fast paced, and that's all there is to it. Yes, I'm sure it's too fast for new players but if so the game just isn't for them. I'm so sorry that's how it ended up, but other people will enjoy the game still. There are people still playing this game because we tried it, liked it, and stayed.

Also, he isn't being negative, he's simply telling the truth. Sorry, but that's just how it is.

Defender

Making maps that slow down skiing only destroys one of the finer points of the game. This game was meant to be fast paced, and that's all there is to it. Yes, I'm sure it's too fast for new players but if so the game just isn't for them. I'm so sorry that's how it ended up, but other people will enjoy the game still. There are people still playing this game because we tried it, liked it, and stayed.

Also, he isn't being negative, he's simply telling the truth. Sorry, but that's just how it is.

Unless you and him fully tested everyone of my maps out, your truths or opinions are based on faulty assumptions.:rolleyes:
I remember the original classic Legions game was slower and had no OD.
Yes this game was meant for fast paced, but what we have now is just to fast for the general public..
This problem could be partly solved by having two game modes.. Slower or Faster.;)
No worry, I will be releasing a more balenced game mod for 1.40...

Status
Not open for further replies.