Srs Question: Why are Macs bad?

anak

VIP
I'm not calling macs good. It's simply been a while since i researched it, and I want to see how you guys would go about warding off the apple crowds.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Personally I don't think the Macs are bad, just on a cost ratio as they are *dancing* expensive in comparison to windows, when windows does everything as well.

What they are really selling in that price tag, is the OS - which is based on Unix just like Linux - a completely free option. Another thing they are selling is the 'Apple logo' - A quality mark sure to make your friends go 'wow'.

On top of that, this video describes how I feel about Apple: http://youtu.be/gPYromrN7OI (Sorry, Embed disabled :( )

RainPilot

stinky bear
Why?

It simply means you have money, taste, style and all that other artistic jazz that the new-age hipsters love.

OR

You can be like djfaith who uses the mac only for it's music production abilities. But switches over to windows whenever he isn't making amazing music.

(p.s anak just because you don't have a mac, it doesn't make exempt from being bad, you're still bad)

BeefThief

Beefy Member
I would never use a Mac unless I was forced to, but I don't think that they are terribly bad. They are just waaaay too expensive compared to a Windows system, when Windows can do everything a Mac can and more (gaming, anyone?).

Gheist

King of all Goblins
Same problem as with Alienware if you ask me (seriously overpriced and overhyped), in combination with the "fanbase" (not to be confused with "userbase").

BUT: The things Macs did for (2) decades (mainly graphics, video and audio - they totally ruled that sector with an iron fist), they still do damn well. I wouldn't say that other homecomputer systems can not compete with that though.

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
I'm writing this on a 2007 MacBook Pro. I like it for every day use - browsing the internet, typing my papers, OnLive, etc etc. I personally like the OS, but I think Windows is more useful all together. I hate a lot of Apple things -MacBook Air, OSX 10.7 (Lion), etc. My cousin recently made a full length movie (it's really legit) and he and the other editors used FCP for their editing. I can see why artists use it. Other than that, Macs do kinda suck.

Sin

Private Tester
I recently went to an apple store to check out the prices. I looked around, and for nearly the exact same specs, the macs were 600$ more than the comparable models on the windows side. I'm not going to be paying that much more for a little apple that lights up on the back of the monitor.

DKnight556

25hipu0.jpg
2rxw2tw.jpg

I don't hate macs. I hate most of the people that use them

Synista

It's like swagger... Some would say you have less swagger if you're wearing a normal polo instead of a Ralph Lauren make.
It's the same thing IMO it's just the brand that makes the difference... And the futuristic look I guess :)

57thRomance

I, being a person who was raised exclusively on Macs, probably might have the most biased opinion on this topic, but I love Macs. They have many uses and are capable of dual booting into multiple operating systems. I do agree, however, that their prices prove to be a major con, but there's more than just the apple on the back of the monitor to come with it. Both community and employed developers can create applications for Macs like Time Machine that make storing and backing up data easier and safer. Videos, music, computer art, business, and other jobs become easier and better with Macs. Everything outside and inside looks and feels fresh and laid back, including the material used to build the machines. With the switch from Power PC to Intel processors, Macs have allowed for this flexibility and higher definition. Any application or task that OS X can't do can be done on a separate partition for Windows, accomplished through Bootcamp. Face it. It's not just the apple that sells; it's the computer.

Seeing that this is a gaming forum, however, a PC proves to be the better general option in this case. There are many more games and gaming-enhancing hardware and accessories available for PCs than for Macs. Again, I'm so used to Macs and don't have as much interest in gaming as most of you do that I wouldn't want to spend money just for a PC fit for gaming. Currently, I have planned to get a Macbook Pro for college that will also have a partition set up for Windows to run a few applications for different types of coding, and I'm adding RAM to my 2007 iMac and making minor adjustments to improve my gaming experience on that computer.

I guess it all depends on the kind of person you are. If you love media and need a Mac to get the job done, get a Mac. If you're into gaming and you don't think Macs are worth more bucks, get a PC and spend more money on virus protection. (Btw, I'm not saying Macs don't get viruses, but they are much less likely to get them.) :/

BeefThief

Beefy Member
EdIt: I have zero clue if any of the info from that pic is factual haha
Well, some of the prices and options have changed, but it's still just as ridiculous.

Basically, if I wanted to get a Mac Pro with a single 2.8GHz Quad Core CPU, 6GB RAM, 1TB of storage, an ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB GPU, a "SUPERDRIVE", 27" monitor, a mouse, and a keyboard I would pay roughly $4000.

Yeah, that isn't happening any time soon.

Also, Apple gives you the option of buying a 12 CORE Mac Pro. Why? For what reason would anyone need a computer with 2 hexcore processors (other than running a server, which you can already get a Mac Pro specifically for that reason and it costs less than the 12 core Mac)? On the bright side, you'll only pay at least $5000 for 12 cores. Oh wait...

DKnight556

"Macs don't get viruses." Linux gets almost none. Just the lesser used OS will get hacked less. If everyone had a mac then mac would get hacked and people would say windows doesn't get viruses

anak

VIP
Well, some of the prices and options have changed, but it's still just as ridiculous.

Basically, if I wanted to get a Mac Pro with a single 2.8GHz Quad Core CPU, 6GB RAM, 1TB of storage, an ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB GPU, a "SUPERDRIVE", 27" monitor, a mouse, and a keyboard I would pay roughly $4000.

Yeah, that isn't happening any time soon.

Also, Apple gives you the option of buying a 12 CORE Mac Pro. Why? For what reason would anyone need a computer with 2 hexcore processors (other than running a server, which you can already get a Mac Pro specifically for that reason and it costs less than the 12 core Mac)? On the bright side, you'll only pay at least $5000 for 12 cores. Oh wait...
My XPS 8300 had those exact stats and a better GPU.
$999.99
and that's *dancing* awesome. you'd have to be using the entire Adobe suite and rendering something huge in Maya to take up that much memory at once.. and a laptop monitor wouldn't be big enough to fit all that stuff rofl.
Why?

It simply means you have money, taste, style and all that other artistic jazz that the new-age hipsters love.

OR

You can be like djfaith who uses the mac only for it's music production abilities. But switches over to windows whenever he isn't making amazing music.

(p.s anak just because you don't have a mac, it doesn't make exempt from being bad, you're still bad)
mad bcuz i'm bad and it takes 3 57th capping in tandem to grab my flag?p. mad.

Abandoned

I just think that Macs are too expensive for hackers to be bothered to buy one just to waste their time and find/create viruses.

Meaning: Not worth it.

Freeman

RAYTANG
I just think that Macs are too expensive for hackers to be bothered to buy one just to waste their time and find/create viruses.

Meaning: Not worth it.

Yeah i remember reading somewhere that macs own something like 5% of the market share while pc's own something like 95%.