Adolf
Salad
Pretzle05
Mangina
Oh and I went by Nipple for a bit there too

Edit: Oh and I was Smurfette for a little while

By-Tor

Private Tester
(this may not be the appropriate thread for a complaint, but....)

Thought I'd share my opinion on smurfs. I don't like em. :/ They don't do anything to help the game. It is very confusing to everyone, new and old players. If we want to promote this game and develop new players why smurf? It seems to just be a 'get away with crap' card. I realize this is beta development but as a leader of a team that is trying to actually look for new players, I really wish the smurfing would stop. I'm tired of asking, "Who's that xxxxxxxxxx, they seem pretty good", just to hear oh that's actually so and so from XXXXXXX team. So, now I have to track the original name of a player plus 3 to 4 possible smurf names?

Why not just play with one user and play well and be proud of it? Anyway, that's my old school gamer take on it. peace.

Daphinicus

Private Tester
(this may not be the appropriate thread for a complaint, but....)

Thought I'd share my opinion on smurfs. I don't like em. :/ They don't do anything to help the game. It is very confusing to everyone, new and old players. If we want to promote this game and develop new players why smurf? It seems to just be a 'get away with crap' card. I realize this is beta development but as a leader of a team that is trying to actually look for new players, I really wish the smurfing would stop. I'm tired of asking, "Who's that xxxxxxxxxx, they seem pretty good", just to hear oh that's actually so and so from XXXXXXX team. So, now I have to track the original name of a player plus 3 to 4 possible smurf names?

Why not just play with one user and play well and be proud of it? Anyway, that's my old school gamer take on it. peace.

A very hearty agreement with ya, By-Tor.

With a very few harmless exceptions, I tend to despise smurfing, and find the practice despicable. It might just be the journalist in me, but the way I've always figured it, if you can't put your name on something, you're probably not too proud of it. The griefing and immaturity anyone can experience by hopping into just about any Legions server right now is proof of just how pathetic smurfing can be.

I'd like to challenge every individual who's posted in this thread -- and, more importantly, everyone who hasn't and smurfs anyway -- to rise above it. I know most of you, and have met almost all of you. And you know what? You guys are better than this.

Stand by your name. Stand by your actions. That's how you earn the respect of your peers.

Heartsong

With a very few harmless exceptions, I tend to despise smurfing, and find the practice despicable. It might just be the journalist in me, but the way I've always figured it, if you can't put your name on something, you're probably not too proud of it. The griefing and immaturity anyone can experience by hopping into just about any Legions server right now is proof of just how pathetic smurfing can be.

I'd like to challenge every individual who's posted in this thread -- and, more importantly, everyone who hasn't and smurfs anyway -- to rise above it. I know most of you, and have met almost all of you. And you know what? You guys are better than this.

Stand by your name. Stand by your actions. That's how you earn the respect of your peers.

You seem to be taking the stance that smurfing is about getting away with things that we'd rather not have associated with the main user name. I tend to use my smurfs for practice. This will probably be hard for a lot of people to understand, but it's annoying trying to learn a new way of doing things when you have "Omni" slapped to the front of your name. You get hounded by a group of people trying to "prove" themselves by stalking you throughout the match. I started using OrneryOsprey back on IA for the purpose of practicing sniping and using the Outrider classes. I still play as Heartsong when I'm using my Raider classes, because I feel that I can live up to that name in those situations.

Not all of us are Homingun or Vv, we don't hide behind our aliases to avoid judgment; we do it so that we can enjoy the game.

Daphinicus

Private Tester
Well argued, bud, and I don't disagree; hence my "with a very few harmless exceptions" remark. There are legitimate reasons to smurf, and you've pointed out a very good one. But smurfing comes with a sense of power -- power over how others perceive you. And in an overwhelming number of cases, that power corrupts.

That aside, again, your point is well made. I should have said, "With a few legitimate exceptions..."

Heartsong

Well argued, bud, and I don't disagree; hence my "with a very few harmless exceptions" remark. There are legitimate reasons to smurf, and you've pointed out a very good one. But smurfing comes with a sense of power -- power over how others perceive you. And in an overwhelming number of cases, that power corrupts.

That aside, again, your point is well made. I should have said, "With a few legitimate exceptions..."

Nept says (10:43 AM):
oh my *dancing* god
read daph's post
and tell him that nept says to stop being so goddamned melodramatic
it's changing your name in a video game
he's not spiderman's uncle Ben

Nept says (10:44 AM):
just post that

By-Tor

Private Tester
Heartsong, I can feel your pain about being hounded due to your Team/Name. Being a leader some guys are always trying to beat me down(easy to do, btw) to impress or just show me up. But I get it and I take the responsibility for it. Over time I've noticed it has subsided. If you are smurfing but still playing respectably, then I can understand it. But once the gig is up and 'most' of the community knows who you are, I don't see the point.

The strength of this game is in the TEAMS that play it. Not the individuals. Omni, OWA, VV, 57th, Zeta, ET..... and all the rest.... wear your tags (when they become available) with pride! I'm impressed with all the other teams. You guys are crazy good. Some of the teamwork and strats I've seen are truly awesome. Let's promote that!

Daphinicus

Private Tester
Hehehe. Yeah, okay, I can come across over the top, and I'm sorry about that. I do it because I believe there is gravity in these situations. Nept's a good guy, but he has no compunctions against trolling or other less-than-savory Internet behavior. I do, because the experience other folks have in this game, especially the ones that don't speak up about it, are of concern -- to me, to the dev team, and if I can be at all successful in my efforts, to at least a portion of the veterans in the community.

Also, Nept's a big boy who can speak for himself. Let him!

Heartsong

Heartsong, I can feel your pain about being hounded due to your Team/Name. Being a leader some guys are always trying to beat me down(easy to do, btw) to impress or just show me up. But I get it and I take the responsibility for it. Over time I've noticed it has subsided. If you are smurfing but still playing respectably, then I can understand it. But once the gig is up and 'most' of the community knows who you are, I don't see the point.

The strength of this game is in the TEAMS that play it. Not the individuals. Omni, OWA, VV, 57th, Zeta, ET..... and all the rest.... wear your tags (when they become available) with pride! I'm impressed with all the other teams. You guys are crazy good. Some of the teamwork and strats I've seen are truly awesome. Let's promote that!

I love Omni. I've been a member of the team since I was 12. They are my family. I don't avoid the tag because I'm not proud. Not by a long shot.

I choose to play without it because sometimes I just want to play the game without having to indulge someone's ego.

[Portion of post encouraging trolling edited out. Whatever your feelings might be, trolling is unwelcome on these forums. -Daph]
(Was just trying to let Nept speak for himself. - Ala/Heartsong/Osprey/Clutch)

Homingun

You seem to be taking the stance that smurfing is about getting away with things that we'd rather not have associated with the main user name. I tend to use my smurfs for practice. This will probably be hard for a lot of people to understand, but it's annoying trying to learn a new way of doing things when you have "Omni" slapped to the front of your name. You get hounded by a group of people trying to "prove" themselves by stalking you throughout the match. I started using OrneryOsprey back on IA for the purpose of practicing sniping and using the Outrider classes. I still play as Heartsong when I'm using my Raider classes, because I feel that I can live up to that name in those situations.

Not all of us are Homingun or Vv, we don't hide behind our aliases to avoid judgment; we do it so that we can enjoy the game.

I suggest you don't bring Vv into this. They are a great bunch of guys that are more friendly than much of the Legions community. If you want to point fingers at teams that have smurf trolled in the past, I would look at your team first.

Strife

As much as it would please me to continue the current discussion, my circumstance prevents me from doing so. This is turning in to a troll/drama fest though, so I think it would be for the best if it was locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.