Download [Server Mod] Shield Core

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
LegionsShieldCoreTeaserPic.png

I don't think it takes a lot of guesswork to figure out what this core is. It's an energy shield that drains energy and takes damage to energy as long as it is up.

Because players regenerate more energy when on the ground than when in the air, I had difficulty in balancing the core. What I decided on was to create a drain rate that would be just under the regeneration rate of someone that is grounded so someone standing still would slowly regen their shield. This means that if you're skiing, you'd better only turn it on for very short intervals because you'll find it only lasts for a few seconds. Overall, I have been enjoying myself quite a bit playing around with this core. Just as with the other cores, you cannot use it while holding the flag (though it will stay on if you already have it on, but given energy drain by the core, you won't have much/any energy with which to escape the enemy base).

I did a lot of guess-and-check math equations until I ended with something that is function but could be scales easily to keep it from getting OP on either the OR (specifically cappers) or the Sentinel. If things still need adjustment, it will be easy to do with the equations I currently have. Simply put, the equations factor in mass. The greater one's mass, the greater the energy drain and the closer to normal damage the shield takes. In Legions, the OR/Raider/Sentinel have 75/100/200 health, but only 33/40/40 energy. If the shield took damage at the normal rate to shields, it would be very underpowered. As such, I incorporated another function that effectively increases shield health by 40-50%. This does not impact the carry-over damage to health (any damage that gets past the shields) and will simply be reduced by the appropriate amount. The current form allows the shield just enough energy to stop a direct RL hit.

Download
Credits:
  • Design/Sound/Production: Volt Cruelerz
Future Use:
As per my usual, feel free to use this in any mods you make down the road. Just make sure to credit and PM me before your public release so I know it's coming. If you need help hooking up this mod to another you are working on, I may be able to help.​

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
Like the fact that you made the core, dislike the look of the actual effect. But downloading so I can try it out (of course)

w00tyou

Why not use a simple concept of when SC is activated (lets say for 2 seconds) damage done to you is reduced by 20-40% or so?

Defender

Tha
Why not use a simple concept of when SC is activated (lets say for 2 seconds) damage done to you is reduced by 20-40% or so?
That would not be a true shield pack, if its going to work like it did in tribes.
The tribes type, while activated, it absorbs damage at the cost of energy.

w00tyou

if its going to work like it did in tribes.
AreYouKiddingMeNoText.png

I never said anything about making the Shield Core like the tribes Shield pack.
I proposed a different design approach, why does it need to use energy at all is the point I'm getting at...

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Why does it use energy? Let's go down the list...

OD: drains health
Warp: drains health
Regen: drains energy
Shield: uses energy

Btw, I never played tribes, so I designed this simply based upon the most logical (and IMO, best) system. Balance could be modified, but still.

w00tyou

If you make it drain energy then shield pack cappers would never be able to make it out of the base if they took enough damage to drain their whole energy pool.

Then what good is it to use the shield pack for capping when you'r losing energy (bread and butter of flying) or even dueling?

TL:TR shield core nerfs the ability to fly for durability, bad for duelists and cappers situationally.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
While a shield core probably wouldn't be very advisable for a capper, I imagine a LO, defenseman, HoF, or even a skilled duelist would find a use for it.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
It's actually not that bad for capping. You just need to flicker it. It turns on instantly, so flip it on at the last second before getting the flag. Same with dueling. Sure, it'll drain your energy, but I'd rather not take a rocket to the face if I can help it.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Nearly all at this point. If you're on the ground, the remaining energy will drain before you land from the knockback. It's actually very little remaining.

I can buff the shield's resistance to damage very easily though. I've just haven't gotten the chance to balance it with another person yet which would be ideal.

Defender

Just wanted to let you know, I just added the shield core code to my mod..
I found out if i use my inventory with it enabled it will crash the game.
My inventory code in not base and thats the problem.
I'm sure I can find a fix for that..
Thanks for the core..

Defender

Changes to your code:
I added message for the on and off with sound.
Also fixed my inventory problem. I added this to my inventory function.

Code:
if(%player.data["Shield","On"]==1){  // game will crash if allowed.
  bottomPrintClient(%client, "You cannot use the Inventory while the Shield Core is on.", 3000);
  ServerPlay3D(ShieldBreakSound, %player.getTransform());
  return;
  }

Gheist

King of all Goblins
You'll need to host your own game with it, on your own server. It's a server side mod. Sorry in case you already knew that, didn't sound like it. ;)