Rocket mid air

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disci

Old man
All I know that some people are generaly way better at hitting long distance MA's than others. I guess that tells there is skill involved. ;)

Redvan

Private Tester
All I know that some people are generaly way better at hitting long distance MA's than others. I guess that tells there is skill involved. ;)
yes, some people are better. These people are better at anticipating where they think the enemy will be crossing their rockets path. However, that can all change in a tenth of a second. Also, look at how many long range shots are fired vs how many hit. The ratio is far beyond anything that could be considered "skill" even for the best long range MA'er in the game.

Dont get me wrong, its fun to try for them, but it's just stupid to claim "skill" in this area

Lin

Disci claimed there was skill involved.
These people are better at anticipating where they think the enemy will be crossing their rockets path
doesn't that take skill?

Redvan

Private Tester
Disci claimed there was skill involved.

doesn't that take skill?
well, technically most everything takes some skill, however, some skills are far easier than others. Also, some skill can be far outweighed by luck.

There's this great thing called hard caps.
It's not like the rocket's hitbox would increase without bound as it travels further, because that would be ridiculous, so don't assume that it is.

Lin

This is nothing like the first rocket launcher spec. That one had splash in midair, whereas the idea here is that the hitbox size will increase up to a limit as range increases. Even double the hitbox size is still not even close to splash radius for rockets, not to mention that you don't get knockback unless you hit.

Binswees

What Lunar and Lin said!

And I mean, it's just an idea, and maybe if that's possible and midairing becomes too easy on close range, then maybe the hitbox won't start increasing until the rocket has traveled 50-70 meters, after that it increases up to 250m. I don't know, a thing like this would need to be tested. But overall I think it's a good idea. I don't like missing with 1 meter with a 300m rocket, that's not fair, just like aero missed me that one time on core (i think it was).

We are only talking twice the size, and thats after fuggin 250m.. its not like u gonna hit long range mas every shot, all its gonna do is give u slightly so slightly bigger chance when u shoot a REALLY good close rocket. It's still gonna look like it was a dead on hit.

Redvan

Private Tester
This is nothing like the first rocket launcher spec. That one had splash in midair, whereas the idea here is that the hitbox size will increase up to a limit as range increases. Even double the hitbox size is still not even close to splash radius for rockets, not to mention that you don't get knockback unless you hit.

the "original" RLS took more skill as a player had to manually detonate it. If you simply cause the hitbox to increase over distance, that'd actually make this proposal much easier than the "original" RLS. It would be fire and forget. Not to mention, "splash midair" was still splash, thus, reduced damage. An increased hitbox would count as a direct hit, thus dealing full damage.

Lin

splash midair causes impact on a much larger radius than the hitbox ever would, provided there was a max limit to the size. which has been suggested. and apparently not read.

I disagree with this. Now, I know this game isn't really realistic, but this crosses the realism line. Plus, Redvan is right where long-distance rocket shots are more luck based than skill (though there is a significant portion of skill involved). The random increase in the rocket's size will not be very noticeable anyway. I also agree that it'll encourage more tower bombarding, which I don't believe we need.

MJ1284

I think a nice feature would be if the rockets' hitboxes became bigger over time after u shoot them, will make long range mid airing more effective, the problem is that the rockets would hit buildings or the ground too easily and it would look weird. The only sulotion for that I think, is if there is a way to make the rocket hitbox (the one that grows) only detect player hitboxes. My idea is that when the rocket has traveled 250 meters, its' hitbox has become twice the size, but after that it stops growing. Gives a little better chance of getting that long range rocket.

Also another good thing would be if a 200+ meter mid air is insta kill, 150+ meter deals 2x the damage or something like that.
Just my thoughts.

Been playing legions for 5 days now, and I already feel I'm better than the majority of the pub players...

If you're better than majority of pub players why would you want to make Mid-Airing easier? You can't expect devs to tweak the game in your favour, especially the whole insta-kill thing you suggested.

While we're at it, why not make CG insta-kill you with one bullet if you chain someone from 100+ meters?

w00tyou

If you're better than majority of pub players why would you want to make Mid-Airing easier? You can't expect devs to tweak the game in your favour, especially the whole insta-kill thing you suggested.

While we're at it, why not make CG insta-kill you with one bullet if you chain someone from 100+ meters?
MJ has a point, Bin long range mid-airs are Extremely hard to get. This reason mostly. Also by the time a capper is out he is around 40% if you can get one midair on him hes dead, so why propose it to do more damage than needed?

The most common Strat is to get close range MA's.

Daphinicus

Private Tester
My biggest concern is that this would encourage players to sit on towers (preferably with an ammo station) and attempt to spam the enemy base with rockets. I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of aesthetic reward for long distance MA's (say extra points or a message would flash on screen), but don't know how I would feel about a damage increase to what really amounts more to luck than skill.

This.

It's almost definitely not going to happen, folks. The laser rifle exists explicitly for the purpose of enabling long-range hits for those with the required skill. If you're crazy about tagging cappers on their exit routes, you can snipe them, use the CG, cut them off, ground-pound, or just get close enough with a couple well-timed rocket jumps to make close-range MAing viable. But we can't think only about the use of the RL in chasing; we've also got to take into account what other aspects of this game it would change.

Binswees

... I said PUB players, and with that I obviously mean the pub players only, and I didn't even say ALL PUB players, I said the majority of them. There are a lot of big boys who midairs way better than me. All I'm saying is that some kind of increase overtime is a fair thing, will make midairing more encouraging and it will be less of a cg wh*re fest. Just because the hitbox is twice the size after 250m doesn't mean, as I already said, that u will be hitting long range midairs everyshot, but it will only help when u shoot thar REALLY close rocket that wouldave missed with 1 meter without the increase. Please notice already, that I said that the hitbox will stop increasing after it has become twice the size, so after 250m it will remain that size!
If twice the size sounds too much, well make it 50% bigger, I just don't think it's fair that somone can miss with 0.01 meter on such a distance, just like aero did, his rocket actually went through my head.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
[...] long range mid-airs are Extremely hard to get. This reason mostly. [...]
No. No, no, no, no. Neither is that "rocket drift" inconsistent, nor is it a reason for difficult long range MAs. That's just wrong. And please, keep this discussion out of here.

Status
Not open for further replies.