Rocket mid air

Status
Not open for further replies.

Binswees

I think a nice feature would be if the rockets' hitboxes became bigger over time after u shoot them, will make long range mid airing more effective, the problem is that the rockets would hit buildings or the ground too easily and it would look weird. The only sulotion for that I think, is if there is a way to make the rocket hitbox (the one that grows) only detect player hitboxes. My idea is that when the rocket has traveled 250 meters, its' hitbox has become twice the size, but after that it stops growing. Gives a little better chance of getting that long range rocket.

Also another good thing would be if a 200+ meter mid air is insta kill, 150+ meter deals 2x the damage or something like that.

Just my thoughts.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
My biggest concern is that this would encourage players to sit on towers (preferably with an ammo station) and attempt to spam the enemy base with rockets. I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of aesthetic reward for long distance MA's (say extra points or a message would flash on screen), but don't know how I would feel about a damage increase to what really amounts more to luck than skill.

Binswees

I forgot to say the most important, after it has traveled 250 meters, and the hitbox is twice the size, it stops growing. Edited it in now.

(...) but don't know how I would feel about a damage increase to what really amounts more to luck than skill.
Well, this idea would make skillful midairing more viable, wouldn't it? Long-distance MA's, say between ~200m-300m, are in my experience always very carefully placed. They will usually happen in chase, and the guy who fires the rocket has to predict the trajectory of the player very carefully. However, due to the pretty messed up scale, these shots are very tricky and it's not encouraged much. Increasing damage, or a subtle increase for hitboxes means that these skillshots would become more rewarding, which I'd argue is a very good thing.

If your chasing, wouldn't you use a chaingun? If im not mistaken, the faster you go the slower the CG over heat = tighter spread for longer time = dead faster?

Xtreme

shaska's bff
Goffe!!

Glad to see you've given this game a try. As for your idea, it's reasonable, but then again this game isn't about long range ma's. I can't say I don't feel your pain, but considering that rockets are projected at a greater speed than the discs in Vengeance, you shouldn't be having problems.

Hope to see you in game <3

Redvan

Private Tester
Well, this idea would make skillful midairing more viable, wouldn't it? Long-distance MA's, say between ~200m-300m, are in my experience always very carefully placed. They will usually happen in chase, and the guy who fires the rocket has to predict the trajectory of the player very carefully. However, due to the pretty messed up scale, these shots are very tricky and it's not encouraged much. Increasing damage, or a subtle increase for hitboxes means that these skillshots would become more rewarding, which I'd argue is a very good thing.

As long range MAs have never been skill, this wouldn't really be adding skill. It'd just make luck more lenient. It's long range anticipation, but, what you anticipate is going to happen has far too many variables for someone to really say "I meant to do that". In other words: Every long range shot is generally meant to hit the target, but how many actually do? Regardless of scale as well.

Is your target going to downjat? Is he going to slow down? Hit a different slope that you thought? Move left/right a hair?

All in all, this idea isn't adding any skill, it's adding an automatic element to the game. Anything automatic isn't skill. Even the remote det RLS was more skill based, which I have always been opposed to.

u can do both, and not everyone likes to cg spam
CG spam is aimlessly spraying your cg in the air. When you aim the cg and hit your target, it's not spam.

Binswees

The reason I braught this up was because of the other day when Aero was chasing me, he cged a lot sure, but he also quickly swapped to rocket, fired one towards me, grabbed cg again, fired a few shots, swapped to rocket, fired one again, swapped to cg and so on and on, that's a skilled chase if u ask me. And this time one of his rockets happened to go right through my face from a distance of about 300 meter, and I felt.... now that wasn't fair... if he has enough good prediction to hit a rocket like that once is a while, then atleast a close rocket like that should be a hit... and if the rocket hitbox had been twice the size after those 300 meters there, that one would of hit.

I would agree to increased hitbox with distance if the increased portions of the hitbox dealt less damage in proportion with the amount increased (like increase area by 10%, decrease the damage in that area by 10%, and so on). Also, less knockback from the damage caused by the increased hitbox.
This isn't a bad idea imo. Could certainly make new players more comfortable with the game, since they tend to use rockets the most, even when chasing.

w00tyou

Don't think this would be a good idea, i mean if goffe figures out that Long Range ma's are easy in legions you better watch the *dance* out.
I herd you was amazing from the tribes Ven. community.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
I could see this working. Indeed, the longer MAs that are done on purpose are carefully done (I got 242 meters and was so proud I nearly did something shameful) so a larger damage bonus. Also, chasing with RL in combination with CG is one of the better ways, though GL can also be used effectively. Back to topic, I think hitbox is the wrong word, rather the splash area is bigger, or more damage is dealt for a longer MA.

Bane

I could see this working. Indeed, the longer MAs that are done on purpose are carefully done (I got 242 meters and was so proud I nearly did something shameful) so a larger damage bonus. Also, chasing with RL in combination with CG is one of the better ways, though GL can also be used effectively. Back to topic, I think hitbox is the wrong word, rather the splash area is bigger, or more damage is dealt for a longer MA.

Splash damage is indirect hits. This wouldn't at all support mid-airing over 200 meters, due you to fact that you have to shoot an object for splash to occur.

Binswees

w00tyou, haha! <3 But please support the idea too. :(

Good idea LunarSolstice! Could deffo work.

mausgang: no I mean the hitbox since I'm talking about direct hits, not splash radius.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twice the size isn't really a huge difference imo, the rocket is already so small, so even if the size is doubled it will look just like a real hit when u hit that 400 m ma. :D

Propkid

No benefit... BTW if a formula was applied to make the rocket grow as it flies then i can just imagine what would it be to shoot a rocket across Core/Gorge... It's still luck dependent though, even the most skilled
players have to admit that a 200m+ MA isn't all skill.

P.S. taking from some Start Wars FPS games where rockets constantly accelerate could have a point to it.

Braiken

I'm against it. It promotes tower sitting and rocketing the enemy defense from afar. MAs are already rewarding enough, they deal a great amount of damage and easily set off route your opponent. Also you're not supposed to use RL against targets which are 250-300 meter or farther away

That's irrelevant. This proposed change will alter the role of the rl; it will make the rl more viable for chasing. Thus, stating that you're not supposed to use rl against long range targets because cg is more effective doesn't make sense, does it?

I'm also still pretty convinced that while luck is a part of it, skilled players are much better at these long range prediction shots than newbies. Especially when a flag carrier is using a route and you know which hills he will be using, you -can- place your ma rl shots if you're good enough. I think a change like this would make midairing more of an option for those situations and it would make chasing much more exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.