Pug Rule Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNAKEOPS

Each night, I'm getting more and more tired of asking people and nagging them to come into pug channel for team-speak (Stop doing it right?). Fact is, pugs are better than pubs any day of the week and we need to have more of them, at least for better than average players. Lately, I've noticed that people will only come into team-speak if there's people there and it's almost starting. But, I need people in there for them to come. It's an endless pointless cycle that plagues this game. Now, what I'm suggesting may not agree with some of you, but I'm trying a solution for this. If you have any suggestions yourself, or would like some things to be changed, by all means post away to help contribute.

Let me make this clear, the people I'm talking about are not those who do wait in the other channels in Legions TS. I'm talking about those who I constantly ask to join legions ts and then ask, "How many people in there?" Only to repeat this question when the number gets to 14 for a 7v7, then joins the pug channel. This comes across as selfish to me, as you want to save yourself the 5 second time you could open up team-speak, and instead of waiting in pug channel like the rest of us, to show up at the last minute when pug is likely to happen.

Solution would be to have both a deterrent and an incentive for legions players. (I realize there may be some legions players who don't speak English very well, so I'll post the definition for both of these terms. Deterrent=a thing that discourages or is intended to discourage someone from doing something. a thing that motivates or encourages one to do something. Incentive= a thing that motivates or encourages one to do something)

The deterrent would be a rule that prevents people from joining at the last second, those who join team-speak when it has started would not be allowed to join. (Admins and developers are the exception to this for reasons such as working on projects and testing them.) The minute the pug admins have decided to pick captains is when pug should be "Closed".

For the incentive, this may be far reached but it's something I would like to see the Legions Team implement. Pug players who show up on team-speak consistently every night should hopefully be more considered and taken priority over others for private alpha and beta testing in the next patches for this game and Legions 2. I realize not every legionnaire can show up every night for pug due to life, work, and family. But, a pug player who shows up more consistently for pugs every night is more likely to have time on their hands to test patches and the new game Legions 2 or Project Z if my memory serves correct. This does not have to pertain to American pugs, but European pugs too (American players who show up at euro pugs should be considered priority and consideration above others, and euro players at american pugs).

I will look into what kind of alert system or notification I can start to notify players of pugs and etc. For now, it may be group text message on smartphones or phones. I will hopefully get another thread up tomorrow to have people post their numbers there, so we can all group text.

Last edited:

Sin

Private Tester
Fun's over...sad day. :(
On topic: There really aren't enough pugs anymore with players who care as much as you to implement strict rules. The game is fun, but not really a try-hard environment is embraced.

Fixious

Test Lead
I believe a rule already exists (and enforced last I checked) that says if you join during the picking process, you'll be last pick.

As for the incentives, that's up to Bugs & Co.

SNAKEOPS

I believe a rule already exists (and enforced last I checked) that says if you join during the picking process, you'll be last pick.

As for the incentives, that's up to Bugs & Co.

Sorry, let me clear up the confusion. The rule I suggested was to NOT let them join when the picking process starts. For example, if there's 16 players in the pug, captains are picked and they start picking map or first pick, then 2 players come into pug, they will have to wait until that pug game FINISHES, which means they'll have to wait 25-30 minutes, or another 45 minutes if there's overtime. I believe this is effective in that no one wants to wait nearly an hour or so in hotswap all alone while everyone else in the private server is having fun. There is, I have to say when unfortunate incidents arises like last night when pikachu and accel got their connection timed out. At least we know that you were there previously and tried to be there.
Fun's over...sad day. :(

On topic: There really aren't enough pugs anymore with players who care as much as you to implement strict rules. The game is fun, but not really a try-hard environment is embraced.
People don't have much of a say if this is implemented. You won't believe the number of people who will show up if this does happen.

Just a suggestion to notify people when a pug is happening or is getting started. Maybe an admin could go in the game that has players and make a server announcement with a message saying: Pickup Game, Teamspeak3 Server: ts3.legionsoverdrive.com.. Maybe that could save time and the hassle of telling everyone individually. Nothing can be done to notify people who are already on the ts3 server but in a different channel other than poking them.

BugGirl

Wommin of Legions
hey snake, why don't you just petition to delete every channel (or whatever they're called) in the ts3 besides "Pick Up Games"
or petition to have people who show up late to pugs be assassinated irl or something
because I'm seeing 6v6, oh look it's homie and nil, let's make them sit out for half an hour because 6v6 game > 7v7 game always, and plus they'll really learn their lesson amiright
tl;dr noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

SNAKEOPS

hey snake, why don't you just petition to delete every channel (or whatever they're called) in the ts3 besides "Pick Up Games"
or petition to have people who show up late to pugs be assassinated irl or something
because I'm seeing 6v6, oh look it's homie and nil, let's make them sit out for half an hour because 6v6 game > 7v7 game always, and plus they'll really learn their lesson amiright
tl;dr noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I liked this post because the sarcasm genuinely made me laugh. Although, I'll admit the rules are strict we can't afford to have late participants. We don't have thousands of people playing this game, where a few players won't make a difference. This game needs people to show up on time in order for pugs to survive. And I will say, I play legions at night mostly in anticipation of pugs, I'm sure most people come on at 5 pm because they want to play pugs, but don't want to be alone in the pug channel. Now, I'd rather have 6v6 games every night of the week than a 9v9 pug game one night a week. Now, a server announcement like mark suggested would be awesome but those only last about 2-3 seconds? Hopefully someone can make them last 10 seconds or more. It's an announcement, not a chat text.

OmniZwei

The type of rule you're implementing is much better suited when we constantly have players showing and we need a way to give priority to the punctual. As it stands now, we either don't have enough players interested or, we get the ball rolling and we get plenty. The key is to get the ball rolling. In this case, I agree with mark. Broadcast the PUGS via TS3 and Legions Servers. Don't punish the late-but-interested.

SNAKEOPS

The type of rule you're implementing is much better suited when we constantly have players showing and we need a way to give priority to the punctual. As it stands now, we either don't have enough players interested or, we get the ball rolling and we get plenty. The key is to get the ball rolling. In this case, I agree with mark. Broadcast the PUGS via TS3 and Legions Servers. Don't punish the late-but-interested.

I can say with certainty that you weren't in-game when I let everyone in the game know that pug was going on. The question you may have is if they noticed it, and I can also say with a certainty that they have when they replied, "But blah blah blah, I gotta fix my mic or any other unoriginal excuse they could muster out in those few seconds."

Every single night, I call out for pugs. As I've said to someone else before, insanity is when you do the same things over and over expecting a different result. If I managed to get everyone's attention and response through chat, what's an announcement going to do? Ah yes, bigger and scary fonts make them kids roll on over.

What happens if you're late to every single event in your life? Work, school, parties, etc? Although there's less consequences for not showing up at parties with your friends, they still depend on you. For people to rely on you being dependent is a really huge personality trait. I can tell some are scoffing at this post, or the whole thread which I get for not realizing I'm swaying into a sensitive issue, sorry, I meant swagging into.

The stat tracking system for all I can see will bring back pubs. But for right now, Legions is at a critical point, and it's dying. It doesn't need freeloaders, it's not a game like LoL or TF2 where you can play all you want without contributing to the community. Right now, it needs contributors and leaders. More pugs will definitely bring back some old players and increase the number of people playing this. There are plenty of old timers who left this community simply because pugs have died. Without any players, the developers have NO ONE to make the games for. Now, I know I haven't reiterated some of the finer points on why pugs are important that I had hoped to. But, simply take a look at MJ1284's threads which hint at why pugs are important. http://forums.legionsoverdrive.com/threads/why-people-are-quitting-legions.3444/ http://forums.legionsoverdrive.com/threads/why-do-so-few-regularly-play-legions.1615/ I do recall him writing up a whole post about it going over the finer points, but I'll post the link when I find it later.

There's 2 categories of the late but interested people.
There's those who are genuinely late, had something to do in real life but would have been there early if they could. And there are those who can't give 5 seconds to start up team-speak while they're in-game unless everyone else shows up for them.

Again, if people continue this habit of only being there when people are there, where are we going to be? Where would we have been if BugsPray said to himself, "Eh.... I'll wait until someone else licenses this game out instead so I can play it" or if Mabel had said, "Eh...I'll start developing this game when others start working on it". We don't have much room to afford people showing up whenever they want to.

stefygraff

Private Tester
You must play Legions Pugs! (Nicolae Ceausescu pic)
Banii-lui-Ceausescu.jpg

Xtreme

shaska's bff
We don't have thousands of people playing this game

If we had more players, latecomers could gather another 14 ppl to start a second pu but since we are such a small community, everyone should take part as long as it's fair to those who were there from the start (ie. latecomers should be last picks as fixious mentions). I agree that more ppl should idle in ts3 but rules like this will only create tension for no reason.

SNAKEOPS

Since this thread received negative feedback from the majority of the community, there's no point in discussing I guess. I hope an admin or a moderator locks this thread for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.