Potential Players! (Community Read/help)

Kryst

Private Tester
Hai guys!

What I (and some others) think would be a great idea is to get a community video going viral over the internet to score some new players and interest in Legions. This is where everyone becomes involved.

The demo system works, and is easier to use fraps and record some awesome plays! I think we as a community should start looking over some of those demos and start building a video together. Something that we can all contribute to. This way, we can get some new players involved in the game, spark some new interest in what 1.4 has going for it, and ultimately bring an insanely fun, free game, to the market.

As it stands now the game is only gaining wealth in players by word of mouth. Remember, this is a community ran game, and does not have advertisements and such like other marketable games. So we must work together to put it out there for some recognition.

Some guide lines on what I would like to see involved in the creation and editing of demos:

You must edit/cut clips yourself (Someone please provide some free editing tools for download)

Upload them to https://mega.co.nz/ or some other upload site and relay the link to a reputable tester/dev or myself via Legions TS3 or Legions forum PM

The videos need to all be frapsed in a certain resolution I believe. We need a consensus on which resolution should be used. That means for most players, you will have to use the demo system, change your resolution to ::said resolution:: watch the demo and record with fraps. It will take some time, especially since you have to manually use features, like slowdown/speed up and zoom special shots.

Do not just edit all MA shots. We need clutch flag plays/returns, twitch shots, outnumbered duels, crazy cap routes and passes, new Core tactics, ect. Not so say you cannot include MA's, but they get boring and timid when its only an MA video. We want to show people the depth of what Legions has become, and that involves many different plays and styles. We want all those moments recorded.

If you are proud of some plays you've made, make sure to take the time to rename and look over the demo after you are finished as to not lose your place with it. The demo clips will be passed along to a dev so they can edit and add special effects to make it look appealing.

If anyone could help with upload links, software links and any other advice, it would be much appreciated!

Thank you all!

Poponfu

Lead Developer
Some technical details - All clips must be fraps'd in 16:9 ratio in atleast 1280 x 720 @ 30FPS. You can use demos and play in whatever resolution then record in one that conforms.

We are finally gonna advertise again and this video will help , thanks all.

16:9 resolutions:

1280×720, 1366×768, 1600×900, 1920×1080

Xtreme

shaska's bff
Besides the fact that many demos are still not working, without keyframes this will be quite boring video. If this project will actually happen, 1280x720 would be best (unless you prefer having black bars)

Poponfu

Lead Developer
For recording I suggest people use: http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm This runs much faster than fraps and free. Ignore its video card overclocking stuff , its video recording abilities are hidden away in the settings menus.

--

For cutting apart your clips after you record them you can use :
http://www.virtualdub.org/download.html

Maybe someone will be kind enough to write some instructions if you are not computer savvy enough to figure it out.

Every clip posted should be in quicktime , h.264 with a high bitrate.

Please allow a few seconds before and after whatever you are focusing on in the clip to allow for transitions and stuff.

Please keep your demos after the fact and kept organized with your clips in case something needs to be re-recorded.

--

One thing you can change in demos is first and third person. You should switch to whatever looks better for your clip , or both for some would be cool.

If you are playing with a friend and sticking together , get clips clips from the same time you both particularly dominate some activity together. Would be nice to have a few of those.

Fixious

Test Lead
It'd probably be easier if we had one person in charge of editing. He/she would need to meet the necessary requirements (1280x720, 30fps, etc). Then we'd simply post our demos here or in another thread, give them the timestamps when stuff happens, and they can record it. We have a fairly large variety of hardware in this community. Not everyone can record their games, let alone in 1280x720 and at a smooth 30 fps. They can, however, post their demos.

Leave it to the sole editor to put everything together. He'd likely want demo speed control as well.

Vox

If you want, I got some demos to lend out to the editor. Ranging from 300+ chase midairs to some sort of flag play and a few more. :)
Plus, whoever is editing should use the default HUD and rets and stuff for recording because it will confuse newbies with different HUDs and rets.

Vox

If you're uploading demos, make sure to give timestamps of where the plays are.
I renamed each demo to the time where the shot is.
I have a couple demos with a couple shots on them, so I named them something like "1930 and 1730" (no colons due to windows not allowing some symbols in the title)

Poponfu

Lead Developer
There are going be some demo upgrades coming on Sunday. Mainly you will have a new bind in game that when pressed creates a bookmark. When that same games demo is loaded up later, pressing the bind will fast forward you 10x speed until 10seconds before the next bookmark.

I hope this will speed things up a lot if a single person is going to handle all those demos.

Vox

That's good to hear, but just to get it out there..
Everyone who views this thread and supports the idea should turn on demo recording!
I don't have the most diverse demos for I mainly stick with one loadout, and most of the demos are midair rl shots.
The more diverse demos there are, the more attractive legions will look to new players.

Fixious

Test Lead
Pop also tweaked demo recording so they might be fixed...? Only time will tell I suppose. I've been testing it with a few matches and they've all recorded. He also added a new naming system.

Kryst

Private Tester
Yeah, I'm waiting on the demo tweaks, should be good.

Recording with that MSI afterburner but quality is not as good.

Fixious

Test Lead
I usually use DXtory, mainly because it doesn't affect my fps as badly as FRAPs or others. Though with demos I suppose that shouldn't be an issue...

Kryst

Private Tester
The new demo system works great... just becareful if you exit in slow-mo. Whole GUI is in slow-mo.

OBLIVION

I recorded a great one yesterday but wouldn't load (gave it about 5 min) but nothing happened, it was good one too :), hope this new update to demos work and I'd love to donate a demo or two :D

Reactions: Vox

scoot

Is there any way to crop demos? My laptop's too shitty to record, but I'd like to save up some clips for when I get back home for the summer.

Bestking

Is there any way to crop demos? My laptop's too shitty to record, but I'd like to save up some clips for when I get back home for the summer.
You could send the demo to one of the Legions Community Members and they could do that for you, and then it could be used in the video.

tree

I tried to watch a few demos, either they wouldn't load or just crash legions. If they do start working though i'll see how many decent ones there are.