Place your support against bullying!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fixious

Test Lead
Punishing the boy for defending himself is absurd. It's really stupid to call people troglodytes for praising a bullied child that learned how to defend himself. It seems that the psychologist is pretending that we're some extremely sophisticated race that's completely above violence when it's an integral part of our nature. I can understand trying to keep violence out of schools but I'd say you really have to keep pushing someone to make them lift you up and drop you on your skull on a concrete sidewalk. I hope that teachers and counselors aren't still pretending that the "cold shoulder" technique is a viable solution. God those classes were so stupid.

That's how it was, and probably still is at my highschool. If you're getting the sh!t kicked out of you and defend yourself, you're the one who gets in trouble.

RockeyRex

Legions Developer
Violence itself is not in the nature, I thought.
It's always more or less the instinct to survive.
Bullys bully to show they are strong, so that others let them survive.
Bullied people go cry or fight back, again to survive.
Bush said and did *danced* up things in attempt to cover his idiocy... and thus, hoping to survive.
Fixious noms on RSS and twitter feeds for his dream of Tribes to survive.

Bush said and did *danced* up things in attempt to cover his idiocy... and thus, hoping to survive.
Fixious noms on RSS and twitter feeds for his dream of Tribes to survive.
Violence is a result of our instinct to survive. We use it to survive, so I don't see why we aren't allowed to use it.
That's what I was trying to say.

Floks

Bullying is a problem.

Bullies rarely face consequences unless the kid getting bullied reacts. If the kid getting bullied cries to a teacher, then he is a wimp, and gets punished by his peers. If the kid getting bullied pushes back, he gets punished by the system, and by his peers. The kid getting bullied never gets a good outcome. The bully is often ignored.

So telling the kid to fight back doesn't really help him. Honestly he is probably more of a pariah now because of his outburst. Ideally we stop the bullies before they start acting like pricks.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Back when Seymour was in school, the children would mock Seymour over his weight and thinning hair. Seymour then started to give the bullies long hugs. For some reason, embracing the bully was very effective and the bullying soon stopped completely.

But Seymour never stopped the hugs.

Great to see that some people are cold and have no soul. :O

Though seriously I couldn't really give a *dance*. I just like seeing the kid getting *danced* up.

Strife

Yes, our disposition to violence stems from the natural instinct to survive (as ripper said as well), but no species would survive on Earth by being passive. It's not like he bashed the kids skull in and devoured his heart or something. Violence on that level is natural - the kid did punch him in the face and taunt him repeatedly. He disabled him then left and chances are the kid is never going to bother him again. Causing someone/something to experience pain when they do something undesirable is a common method of teaching a behavioral lesson. If you walk up to a dog and kick it in the ribs it's probably going to bite you.

As to the bullies bullying to survive, that isn't necessarily true. Some people may do it to assert dominance but that's probably only to attain social power, such as popularity in high school. Other people do it to divert attention away from the inadequacies, be they physical, mental, etc. Most high school bullies have some pretty obvious defects (e.g., a stereotypical scenario being a dumb jock bullies a smart geek out of envy or self-consciousness). All that being my opinions and what I've experienced/read, I'm obviously not an anthropologist here. :p

So telling the kid to fight back doesn't really help him. Honestly he is probably more of a pariah now because of his outburst. Ideally we stop the bullies before they start acting like pricks.

I don't know. I think there's a lesson to be learned in self defense. You shouldn't let people cause you physical pain (outside of playful stuff and other obvious exceptions) and get away with it unscathed, that's just going to make them think they can keep doing it. More often than not trying to reason with some kid who's hopped up on hormones and probably all hyped up because he hit you in the face isn't going to work. Yeah, you can tell someone about it but that isn't always going to produce results and when everyone is against you (a good example in that vid, a bunch of people are standing around them snickering and cheering the little guy on) it probably makes things even more difficult to solve. Violence isn't always going to give a positive result either, obviously, but being independent and dealing with your own problems is a good thing to learn at an early age, imo. Again, as I mentioned before, it's not like he brutalized the kid. I just feel it's necessary to say that again so people don't think this is about me approving of beating someone to death with a baseball bat because they pushed you around in school some.

Fixious

Test Lead
Bullying is a problem.

Bullies rarely face consequences unless the kid getting bullied reacts. If the kid getting bullied cries to a teacher, then he is a wimp, and gets punished by his peers. If the kid getting bullied pushes back, he gets punished by the system, and by his peers. The kid getting bullied never gets a good outcome. The bully is often ignored.

The problem isn't the bullying. It's the system the schools have adopted to combat it. Bullies have been around since...forever. There was probably a douchebag caveman named Louis or something thousands of years ago. But now we coddle every damn kid as if he's actually special. Best thing to do is to resolve the issue outside of school, bypassing any crappy system they've put in place. Then again our bullying prevention reached outside of school hours. Say something nasty to someone else online while at home? Prepare for punishment at school.

Calimo

I believe learning how to defend yourself is a great thing... And honestly... I'm glad to see the bigger kid rock bottoming that scrawny clown (even though I believe he should have finished with a "people's elbow".. *sigh*) But... I'm against bullying. Too many death's from it either by accident or suicide... So, I support anyway to make bullying a less common event in schools.

...But... this is also from a kid who... when I got bullied in 7th grade... my dad who was in the military at that time taught me how to put someone in an arm lock, disable them... push them into a wall and told me to repeat the phrase "Don't f*** with me." ...... oh dad....

Armageddon

Teapot
Bottom line bullying will never stop, putting this in you're "status" on facebook won't stop some idiot from picking on someone who is smaller or smarter then they are. Deaths from bullying, well sorry it happened but again man up. If you'r willing to give up you're own life over someone who spends their life picking on others then you have wasted you're own existance and for what.......... absolutely nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.