Overdrive.

ChainU

i know you havent played in a year or whatever but when you OD you do it for like 2 seconds and you are done, so no i dont like this idea unless you think people want to OD for less then a second. they had that in renegades and it was called a speed boost beacon.
they havent even got the game out and you guys have forgotten how to play

I have a bad memory... e_e
But it should be a little shorter than the old one I quess... I wasn't really talking about the short burst of power originally...

Originally ChainU was talking about having a "Power Generator" that uses up all your skiing and jumping power for a Overdrive a couple of seconds long. once your normal Power was used then the generator would use the backup power. causing it to overheat quickly. The Backup energy, while overheating damages the person using it. If you use Overdrive for too long the generator will Fail causing catastrophic damage on the user. disabling his/her ability to ski or use overdrive. until he/she can repair it at a "repair station". he also mentioned a Temperature gauge which would help you decide when to stop or re-start using overdrive.
then said that the Environment will also affect your overdrive. high winds will help cool your generator. and if you managed to keep your generator intact, skiing will slow the cooling process. (like a Fighter jets Afterburner).
and finished by saying "The Overdrive will be more like a boost than a way for flying quite long distances."

my uestion is why go to so much trouble if you only want a boost of 1-3 seconds? you wont get very far and like NightHawk043 said a good skier could go just as fast of faster without OD unless they needed to corner sharply.
correct me if im wrong but it sounds like a lot of work to tweak something that is already in place and that works. but I may not be thinking clearly because of how fricking tired I am

ChainU

Originally ChainU was talking about having a "Power Generator" that uses up all your skiing and jumping power for a Overdrive a couple of seconds long. once your normal Power was used then the generator would use the backup power. causing it to overheat quickly. The Backup energy, while overheating damages the person using it. If you use Overdrive for too long the generator will Fail causing catastrophic damage on the user. disabling his/her ability to ski or use overdrive. until he/she can repair it at a "repair station". he also mentioned a Temperature gauge which would help you decide when to stop or re-start using overdrive.
then said that the Environment will also affect your overdrive. high winds will help cool your generator. and if you managed to keep your generator intact, skiing will slow the cooling process. (like a Fighter jets Afterburner).
and finished by saying "The Overdrive will be more like a boost than a way for flying quite long distances."

my uestion is why go to so much trouble if you only want a boost of 1-3 seconds? you wont get very far and like NightHawk043 said a good skier could go just as fast of faster without OD unless they needed to corner sharply.
correct me if im wrong but it sounds like a lot of work to tweak something that is already in place and that works. but I may not be thinking clearly because of how fricking tired I am

After the OD you'll catch so much momentum, that you will fly/fall a great distance... When the player starts to OD, he starts accelerating to huge speeds and the motors will keep that player 1-1.5 meters off the ground, because the floating used in Skiing would increase... [Like riding a bubble (The player will ascend without the jump)] The idea is not to sustain the speed like in the previous Overdrive. (The player would gain more and more speed all the way to the destruction of the generator or death, like a rocket.) It's suicidal. ^^ So the time doesn't matter, because you'll get a high speed... You could continue going at high speed just before hitting the ground, if the normal power has enought time to charge. {It would be hard to handle because the speed is so massive. Even if you get the extra cushioning for skiing [The player won't hit the ground while OD is on, because you don't have to steer upwards and downwards. Down and up steering will be locked. So you can control the altitude by switching the OD on and off. (The OD shuts down slowly, so the floating power decreases slowly and you can control the altitude nicely)]} The OD would start running if you keep the Overdrives key down. Not a switching system that would be hard to shut down. (It's like giving an engine some more boost with nitro. You can control the Overdrive's output cleanly.)
-The game needs a thing that would work like a braking parachute... Btw. You could make a new game mode: Over Drag which is like Drag Racing. XD It would have some shooting in it too, ofcourse.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
What you are talking about is the OD for the sentinels but with more power and more hassle. The sentinels could have one short burst of overdrive to help them speed up and change direction quickly in midair. The outrider's OD and the raider's OD are both mostly for capping purposes. The OD adds some speed, but adds a lot of maneuverability, allowing tight corners to be made while capping the flag, especially in maps like Nivosus and Moonshine. The current OD system, while taking away health, doesn't cripple the player as opposed to how I think your system will work. If the generator blows up, for example, can you ski at all? If you can't, then the greatest purpose for OD was just taken away. One change that I would give to the current OD system is to make it easier to shut down. Push R to start it, push R again to stop it. Also, why would anybody need a drag parachute? The entire point of this game is to move quickly, not to stop. In this game, if you stop, you die. A drag parachute is, in my opinion, a lousy idea.