Overdrive.

ChainU

-Wouldn't it be cool that the trail light would glow brighter or change colour when Overdriving?

-Wouldn't it be cool that the player would suffer almost none damage, when Overdriving?
Overdrive-mode would render your motor useless when the "Back-up Energy" (Charges very slowly.) and the normal energy would run out. (It would be good to have a heating warning from the overheating engines/generator.) The player would get damage from the engines/generator's heat when the system is nearing the engines/generator's breaking point. Then the engines/generator should be repaired, when it's rendered useless. (Repairing stations on the ground level.) Die from the fall (The fall would damage the player more, coz there are no lift.) or be killed by other player? The power source would be called an "Energy Generator". Snipers wouldn't get energy if your generator is damaged. (IF there is an energy weapon.) Legions: Overdrive. :cool:

-You should read the brackets separately. :D

-Let me hear your opinions.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Please restate your post in a way that makes more sense. I'm sorry, but I don't catch the purpose or meaning of that.

ChainU

Please restate your post in a way that makes more sense. I'm sorry, but I don't catch the purpose or meaning of that.

-Now then?
Sry. about that... English isn't my native language. So I don't usually write essey-ish texts which describe something. :rolleyes:

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
-Now then?
Sry. about that... English isn't my native language. So I don't usually write essey-ish texts which describe something. :rolleyes:

No need to be sorry. I'm sure your doing a better job than I would be speaking your native language (regardless of what it is).

At any rate, just to clarify:

Your idea is that you would have some sort of a generator that would generate a form of emergency power slowly and if used too much would result in overheating and failure of the unit which could result in player death. After failure, it can be repaired however. Is this correct?

ChainU

No need to be sorry. I'm sure your doing a better job than I would be speaking your native language (regardless of what it is).

Your idea is that you would have some sort of a generator that would generate a form of emergency power slowly and if used too much would result in overheating and failure of the unit which could result in player death. After failure, it can be repaired however. Is this correct?

Oh... I meant that the energy which is used on the motor for skii'ing and flying and for some weapons are generated with an "Energy Generator"... And the new thing would be that it would break and the back-up energy would be the warning line. The Generator can only be rendered useless when using Overdrive coz it takes off all the safety mechanims. The extra energy would be good for an extra boost or jump height, but can not be used over a certain line on the bar. A half or so... The limits are off in Overdrive and you can burn your generator with it... Or something like that. The generator will burn if you use the Back-up empty in Overdrive. I mean that Overdrive would take all the energy to the generators limit... The normal energy would charge normally after Overdrive, but the extra energy would be charging slowly. It would be nice to have some energy chargers or a dual generator /a cooling system for a longer Overdrive... There should be a Temeperature Gauge and a Generator Output gauge.
The Generator can be fixed.

It's finnish. I've heard it's one of the hardes languages... :confused: But it sure is much slower to talk and write tho...

ChainU

The good thing about the new system would be quite good. You wouldn't die always when you've done an Overdrive, and you'll get a jump boost from the extra energy when needed... (No need to waste so much hp on Rocketing.)
You could bring the enemy flag with Overdrive and still get the flag to the own base if the generator breaks... Ofcourse if you're accurate enought to hit the own team flag before smashing to somewhere. Overdrive name would suit better too, coz the generators safeties are bypassed and the generator is working over the limit... It's like a multi purpose generator... Powering the whole rig. There could be a loading time before the Overdrive if it's too powerful.
Just thought about it more and thought that the jump height and runnigs speed should be higher with no motors. If the generator breaks, it will blow up the motors to little pieces and the guy will be lighter. Ofcourse the motors will be repaired at the same time with the generator, in a Repair Station...

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
The current system has balance. The major purpose for overdrive is to quickly get into a base, grab the flag, and get out. The point of losing health rather than burning out the generator is that if a player ODs to take the flag, then they can still get away, albeit with less health. However, with your system, it is too likely that somebody could OD, take the flag, and be completely stranded. It doesn't matter if they could run faster, because they wouldn't have any effective defense against an aerial opponent. The maps are huge, and without skiing, not only will it take forever to cross a map, but if their generator is burnt out, then they wouldn't be able to capture it until they get repaired, at which point they are a sitting duck, and will get killed. The older system works much better as far as balance and usability.

Mhi200

It would be too easy to cap. You just described a situation where no rj is required, and OD doesn't take hp = Capper takes no damage except what other players do.

ChainU

It would be too easy to cap. You just described a situation where no rj is required, and OD doesn't take hp = Capper takes no damage except what other players do.

I think I said "almost none damage" and the generator's or engines heat would damage the player:"The player would get damage from the engines/generator's heat when the system is nearing the engines/generator's breaking point." So it depends on the Temperature of the generator or the engines... :rolleyes:
So when going to Overdrive you suffer some damage... But not so much as the current one... It would be good on big maps. And you couldn't do it much coz the back-up energy would charge very slowly...
-Plz read the whole thing... :rolleyes:

So as far as I can see, you're making an individual OD far more effective that it currently is, and you're balancing it out by making it usable far less often. Am I right?
The problem as far as I see it, is that your balancing factor is unlikely to limit players. Here's an example of what I mean.
If a player wants to do an OD cap route (and obviously that's not even a requirement), for the most part the OD would only be in one place. Around the enemy flag base. Since the Capper would quite possibly respawn after completing the cap, The timer of the "energy generator" would be reset, thus the player would not be disadvantaged in any way.

Also, I'm not sure how the size of the map would be relevant.
Since a good skier (is that the right term) can go faster over a long distance without OD, unless they're requiring sharp corners, I'm not sure why you'd want to use it mid return route.

Secondly, If you decrease the damage, you'd just be opening up the old outrider "OD in an upwards direction towards the base for as long as your health allows you, then cap" method to be used on small maps. (If you were unaware, before they increased the damage Outrider takes when OD'ing, it used to be possible to go flag stand to flag stand in a single OD run on Moonshine, Nivosus and Frostbyte)

Would you agree?

I'm trying to see this from your point of view as well, but what I don't get is, What do you think is wrong with the current system, that would cause you to suggest such a change?

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Yar, I'm unsure about your proposed changes as well. Maybe it's the language barrier preventing me from fully understanding everything, but I'm seeing it as NightHawk043 saw it. Namely, a longer lasting OD (with less damage), but used less frequently. If that's the case, I'm not a huge fan of that (Nivosus and smaller maps would have even more issue with OD caps from base to base).

Personally, I'd like to see regular OD limited to a shorter time duration (ie: lasts for 3 or so seconds) and drains health. Some sort of "energy core" could lengthen this OD time frame and nerf the health drain.

With that said, I'd be interested to hear what other players think of the current OD system. I think there's room for refinement, and would like to hear what people have to say on this topic.

ChainU

[I changed the energy term with power on this post! (The power source would be a Power Generator)]
-This post is separate and doesn't add things. Please ignore my earlier posts in this thread explaining the system.

@SeymourGore: I'm not sure if it's longer lasting from my point of view...

The Overdrive needs all your power used in flying/jumping too. It will drain your power in few seconds and it will start over-heating when it's switched to the Back-up Power. (The player will get damage from the heating of the generator and the player will have a very low health if the generator explodes.)

The Back-up Power is an already existing part of the generator, which will enable the use of the Overdrive, but will break the generator when it's used too long. (Like an illegal modification to a machine that would take off all the limits from using the full potential. E.g From the normal 85% max usage to distributing the whole 100% from the machine.) The Back-up Power will charge slowly and the generator will cool down slowly too. The generator will heat fast because it's working over the reccomended limit. You could say that the generator will explode when the temperature is too high.

-First I had the idea of not needing a temperature gauge, so first I said: "all the energy to the generators limit". Meaning, that the generator would explode when the all power is drained...

The temperature idea is better, because the power is a problem if you manage to cool down the generator. And if you have a lots of power, but you're practically frying the generator, you won't be using it for a while. This will limit the use very effectively. (Fast winds could cool down the generator faster, but when you're using it for the normal jumping etc. while trying to cool the generator down. It will cool down slower from the normal generato's heat. The normal use of the generator will not increase the heat level from the last Overdrive but, it will delay the cooling process.)

The Overdrive will be more like a boost than a way for flying quite long distances.

-Overdrives could be different in the weight classes too. Like the current jump height etc.

Quoting one of my previous posts: "Just thought about it more and thought that the jump height and runnigs speed should be higher with no motors. If the generator breaks, it will blow up the motors to little pieces and the guy will be lighter. Ofcourse the motors will be repaired at the same time with the generator, in a Repair Station..." (The explosion will disable the skii'ing completely.)

-------Please comment THIS post.-------

*Repairing the text* =/ Please inform me about the sentences full of nonsense.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
[I changed the energy term with power on this post! (The power source would be a Power Generator)]
-This post is separate and doesn't add things. Please ignore my earlier posts in this thread explaning the system.

SeymourGore: I'm not sure if it's longer lasting from my point of view...

The Overdrive needs all your power used in flying/jumping too. It will drain your power in few seconds and it will start over-heating when it's switched to the Back-up Power. (The player will get damage from the heating of the generator and will have a very low health if the generator explodes.)

So instead of being a constant drain of health, it instead explodes if used for too long causing significant damage?

The Back-up Power is an already existing part of the generator, which will enable the use of the Overdrive, but will break the generator when it's used too long. (Like an illegal modification to a machine that would take off all the limits from using the full potential. E.g From the normal 85% max usage to distributing the whole 100% from the generator.) The Back-up Power will charge slowly and the generator will cool down slowly too. The generator will heat fast because it's working over the reccomended limit. You could say that the generator will explode when the temperature is too high.

Argh? So during this back-up power phase are you able to OD at all? Or do you need to wait until the power's back up?
-First I had the idea of not needing a temperature gauge, so first I said: "all the energy to the generators limit". Meaning, that the generator would explode when the all power is drained...

How much damage would this explosion occur? And once exploded, are you still able to use OD? (or fly for that matter).

The temperature idea is better, because the power is a problem if you manage to cool down the generator. And if you have a lots of power, but you're practically frying the generator, you won't be using it for a while. This will limit the use very effectively. (Fast winds could cool down the generator faster, but when you're using it for the normal jumping etc. while trying to cool the generator down. It will cool down slower from the normal generato's heat. The normal use of the generator will not increase the heat level from the last Overdrive but, it will delay the cooling process.)

I noticed that you use the word "jumping" a lot, and I was curious if under your new OD system that jumping consumes energy as well.
The Overdrive will be more like a boost than a way for flying quite long distances.

Boost would be an interesting change, personally I still like the focus on maneuvaribility with the existing OD system (versus speed boosts), but to each their own.

ChainU

So instead of being a constant drain of health, it instead explodes if used for too long causing significant damage?

Argh? So during this back-up power phase are you able to OD at all? Or do you need to wait until the power's back up?

How much damage would this explosion occur? And once exploded, are you still able to use OD? (or fly for that matter).

I noticed that you use the word "jumping" a lot, and I was curious if under your new OD system that jumping consumes energy as well.

Boost would be an interesting change, personally I still like the focus on maneuvaribility with the existing OD system (versus speed boosts), but to each their own.

OD spends more time on the Back-up Power, because the normal power drains so fast. And the damage is the generator's emmited heat... Not exploding... When the heat gauge goes over a certain point, the generator will explode and do some more damage tho. (The generator is a pile of scraps after the one and only explosion.) When the player goes fast in the air, he stays airborn and steers with his mouse and left and right buttons? [No need for jump power, (because hovering increases too for a smoother ride?)]

I'm not sure about the damage... =/ But it could be a significant amount. (The explosion. Not a nuke tho.)

The new OD could be a short boost with a huge velocity. :) Draining everything fast...
It's like drag racing. There's the red zone in the gauges... XD

TheWimp

overdrive is to strong you can just flag grab and run like a bitch. i want a homing missile for the heavy like in T2 that locks onto overdrive so you have to time how you use it instead of just landing on a hill and zooming away.. If you go really fast maybe you can outrun the missile. Take no damage in OD? You are crazy

ChainU

overdrive is to strong you can just flag grab and run like a bitch. i want a homing missile for the heavy like in T2 that locks onto overdrive so you have to time how you use it instead of just landing on a hill and zooming away.. If you go really fast maybe you can outrun the missile. Take no damage in OD? You are crazy

Cmon... Did you really the whole thing? And it's a short burst of power... It's short, because you would blow up your generator... I didn't say the short time directly at you...

TheWimp

Cmon... Did you really the whole thing? And it's a short burst of power... It's short, because you would blow up your generator... I didn't say the short time directly at you...

i know you havent played in a year or whatever but when you OD you do it for like 2 seconds and you are done, so no i dont like this idea unless you think people want to OD for less then a second. they had that in renegades and it was called a speed boost beacon.
they havent even got the game out and you guys have forgotten how to play

personally I like to old OD system. Maybe its because I dont quite understand the thought process going on. the only Issue I had with the old OD is how fast you lost health when your blue energy bar drained. I would always be punching my R button yelling STOP STOP! then blow up and lost the flag. maybe this was irrelevant to the subject at hand but this is my experience with overdrive.