Our Community

trinium

Private Tester
I have no one else to play with...................................
tumblr_l0wasrj8qt1qbch4xo1_500.jpg
where the f' have you been lately man !

Armageddon

Teapot
maybe "pros" shouldn't be so discouraging, rocketing new bloods in the face over and over when it's clear by their gameplay they are new...they should also stop being general ass-hats to new players. that's how.

I agree with the not being asshats portion but to ask everyone who is good at the game to dumb it down is silly, then we don't have fun and get bored then leave. Legions like tribes has a steep learning curve and a lot of new players can't handle that and most end up quiting. There isn't much we can do about that.

I've had this problem with everyone i've shown the game to.

"This game looks awesome and a lot like tribes, but whats this up jet and downjat stuff?"
-or-
"Man this game is hard i keep getting killed moments after spawning"

I've shown the game to all the T1 players i've known over the years and they can't get past the fact that they blow at it when they think it should be easy for them to switch over and own up a server.

I agree with letting the Legions community do its thing, but the other side to this is to help each other stay true to legions and not leave the community when it comes to the release of bigger and better games(BF3, T:A). If we don't stay a community, we won't grow.

Immanent

I agree with the not being asshats portion but to ask everyone who is good at the game to dumb it down is silly, then we don't have fun and get bored then leave. Legions like tribes has a steep learning curve and a lot of new players can't handle that and most end up quiting. There isn't much we can do about that.

"This game looks awesome and a lot like tribes, but whats this up jet and downjat stuff?"
-or-

I've shown the game to all the T1 players i've known over the years and they can't get past the fact that they blow at it when they think it should be easy for them to switch over and own up a server.

Isn't envy a T1/2 vet?

skypredator

I've found that you have to prod new players the just right amount to get them to want to learn how to play well, but also have a good time. I'm sure a training mode wouldn't be all that bad, just so the newbloods can get a feel for the ropes and such; just an idea.

Mahidhar

It's a good thing that I have the ability to "force" my friends to play the game. I've got them all to play Wolf Team before(and it's not a normal FPS either), and now I'll get them to play this. So expect 6-8 South Indian players to be invading this forsaken game, soon after it gets player-hosted capability.

Immanent

It's a good thing that I have the ability to "force" my friends to play the game. I've got them all to play Wolf Team before(and it's not a normal FPS either), and now I'll get them to play this. So expect 6-8 South Indian players to be invading this forsaken game, soon after it gets player-hosted capability.
More people to violently slaughter!

Skepsis

Imo, Our Legions Population will not increase if you kill the babies! which means the NewBloods, We need new players! why no new players? because of the high Skill curve, The Ping if they are Foreign, and the Trolls when they try to learn. No Support, help them ingame. Save a Baby today! Call 1-800-Save-Legions.

Dacil

what if the baby is a big idiot and a retard? you know, that kind of guy... not hard to say that this game is full of them
if the newbloods or "babies" are idiots, that doesn't mean you stop trying to help...but if you do decide to stop helping, which is fine if you don't want to deal with it, don't turn it into a negative encounter by picking on them, calling them names, or making them frustrated....this game is frustrating enough for new people, why make it worse

Siantlark

-or-

No one is asking anyone to dumb down anything. What they're asking is for vets to stop getting easy kills off newbies and help them instead. The game actually gets exponentially easier once you're shown what does what but most newbies don't have anyone to show them how to do anything and quit because: Hell. This game is confusing and looks absolutely ridiculous.

It also doesn't help that there isn't some sort of diagram when you start that shows you what keys control what, how you activate jets, how you down jet, how to activate overdrive and what the entire purpose of the game is. IMO the devs should really make that standard when the game is loading. It would cut down on confusion and lessen the "brutal learning curve".

Mahidhar

It's funny when I hear people keep saying things like; new comers aren't going to like this, this update is gonna make it much more difficult for the newbies, the new guys won't have a chance with this steep learning curve. I mean seriously, I don't remember how many times I got my butt handed to me in games which I just started and don't have a clue on how to play/survive. It's the same with every other game out there. If you're playing some online game for the first time, which has been out there for quite a while, expect to find yourselves dead in 3 to 4 seconds.

On this subject, I actually find Legions to be a lot less punishing because you know where you're getting shot from, and who is shooting you. This game is more of a wide area shooter, than a one consisting of a high graphical environment. Atleast, you don't get one-shot-killed from some bush far away, just because you stood in an open area for a couple of seconds(*cough* BF *cough*).

As far as helping newbies out, I'd like to ask you "oh holy priests of wisdom and kindness"; to what end? Because, I've been there, done that, and the teaching and the learning almost never ends. How do I move fast like you? How do you aim so good? How can I ski properly? How do you OD? How do you Rocket Jump? What is a Llama? And these are barely the warm ups(and remember that the same questions are asked multiple times by multiple people). I personally do not have anything against answering from these basic questions to the ones that require a good load of time and patience to explain. And to explain I choose TeamSpeak, but the "apprentices" just want their answers in the game, through the chat box. I choose to refrain from replying to any of their queries, until they get on TS, I get these messages; Apprentice-1 left the game, Apprentice-2: I got no TS, and I can't download it right now, Apprentice-3: I got no headset/mic, Apprentice-4: Mom told me not to talk to strangers on the internet. This is problem-1.

Problem 2: No guides. As a newcomer to other games, the first thing I would do to learn about the elements of a certain game is by visiting the forums, and searching for any sticky-ed guides. Now, it's either that I'm blind, or it's just that there isn't even a single sticky-ed guide on the game explaining a certain aspect of the game(like a class or a position), or the basics of it. And everytime a new comer asks a question about some really common part of the game, some idiot shows up and advises him to do a forum search. Sure, he can do that but he's just going to end up closing the browser after a few tries, and start to play some other game. Therefore, if you really want to help, start by making it easy on the newbie by adding those guides to the first page.

Solution-1: Create a new forum. Name it, "Help Section". Create and Sticky all your guides there. Encourage all newbies to visit the Help Section and to get their questions answered. Refrain from pausing the game, and answering the questions of newbies(use the same old Public test password strategy to force them to login to the forums). Make a new tab on the www.legionsoverdrive.com and name it Help. Let it have the basic controls image and a link to the "Help Section". Make it so that the main page also has a TeamSpeak tab on it, with a damn link for easy access.

Solution-2: Create a system, so that for every new account created, a small symbol or a character will be added right next to the player's name, such as a + sign(with a colour other than yellow). This means that the person is a newbie, and doesn't know crap. So, the next time he goes llama grabbing, you'll advice him not to, instead of teaching him all your regional curse words. Set a time limit to this character(like about 3 months or so) so that it cannot be removed before the time limit expires. Again, create a sticky in the General Discussion, explaining what the symbol defines, and it's purpose. This will make the in-game guides' life much easier to identify the newcomers, from the smurfs(unless the one smurfing just wants to be an a-hole, and made a new account).

Let's talk after you've done all this.

Armageddon

Teapot
No one is asking anyone to dumb down anything. What they're asking is for vets to stop getting easy kills off newbies and help them instead.

I'm not sure where to start...

Here looks good.. What are "they" asking us to do then? if not dumb it down.
Easy kills... So we need to let them go about the map without firing at them? Teaching them that it's ok to mosey on in to a base and llama a flag.

When i started playing i got my *chocolate cookies* handed to me a lot, i asked no one for help or to teach me how to play. Each time i lost it was a lesson.

When i hang around in the duel server i always ask (if im not sure already) if any new players are on, If someone is i offer to show them routes or let them work on their Aim & Timing on me in a fake duel(I don't fire back).

Solution-2: Create a system, so that for every new account created, a small symbol or a character will be added right next to the player's name, such as a + sign(with a colour other than yellow). This means that the person is a newbie, and doesn't know crap. So, the next time he goes llama grabbing, you'll advice him not to, instead of teaching him all your regional curse words. Set a time limit to this character(like about 3 months or so) so that it cannot be removed before the time limit expires. Again, create a sticky in the General Discussion, explaining what the symbol defines, and it's purpose. This will make the in-game guides' life much easier to identify the newcomers, from the smurfs(unless the one smurfing just wants to be an a-hole, and made a new account).

Null/Void player accounts are thankfully getting dropped.

Fixious

Test Lead
The only feasible option is to create a tutorial. Will it solve the issue 100%? Nope. But vets/experienced players will not dumb themselves down for newcomers. A few might, for a while. But not enough to make a difference. Either that or matchmaking, but that'll never happen.

DOS4/GW

No one is asking anyone to dumb down anything. What they're asking is for vets to stop getting easy kills off newbies and help them instead. The game actually gets exponentially easier once you're shown what does what but most newbies don't have anyone to show them how to do anything and quit because: Hell. This game is confusing and looks absolutely ridiculous.

It also doesn't help that there isn't some sort of diagram when you start that shows you what keys control what, how you activate jets, how you down jet, how to activate overdrive and what the entire purpose of the game is. IMO the devs should really make that standard when the game is loading. It would cut down on confusion and lessen the "brutal learning curve".

Tip of the Days and loading screen tips would be awesome, yeah. Seems like it wouldn't take too much effort, and every little bit helps.