Our Community

Royalty

The Aussie
Lets face it. If anyone was to say that our community is a large one, they would be bullshitting. Although our community does have some good members and is quite well knit, we could always become stronger and grow in size. The question is: How???

Before we ponder this question here's the facts:
  • We have 1482 registered members
  • The largest community within our community is the American community
  • The second largest community within our community is the European community
  • The third largest community within our community is the Asian community
  • We do not have any other regional communities above from the three listed above. We do however have smaller groups which don't really have enough members to be classified as communities.
  • Other may have witnessed this, however I have never seen more than one server full at any time
  • Apart from during 8am-3pm GMT +10 time ( About 5-12pm Chicago time I think) I have never seen a full server.
  • We need to do something in order for the community to grow, especially regions where there aren't many community members as of now
The Aim of this thread:

To make our community larger and stronger, mainly focusing on the Aussies, the Philippians and Mauritius islanders, all of which have so little members, they can hardly be called a community.

It is primarily the groups own task to grow into a large community however, in order for the groups listed above to grow quickly and flourish, external help is needed.

Our largest groups the Americans and Europeans must help to grow these communities. (The Europeans are less expected to help as in the southern region of our world where the groups which need help are located, the Euros can be expected to ping 350 or more...) Recently the Americans have provided some support for the Asian community, although more help could be provided once player hosted servers are available. The Americans should be ready to provide the same support for those groups who need it, and now that they are quite large, the Asian community should be the ones who primarily provide the support to the groups who need it, as the will ping well in the servers hosted by these groups.

Now I know I'm jumping the gun, as it expected that player hosted server won't be released untill around X-mas (my sources tell me), but we need to start thinking about how we can provide support to other communities, or help to develop our own.

So now to the question- HOW???

• By occasionally joining the servers hosted by smaller groups or communities
  • By hopping on TS and talking to member of smaller groups or communities
I know this is a short list, however I'm asking you guys for your valued opinions. Hopefully when Legions is advertised (if it ever is) this will also attract more people.

Oh BTW, thanks for reading through this chunk of text.

St3lth

Backend Contributor
the Philippians, all of which have so little members, they can hardly be called a community.
I'm pretty sure that country is a part of Asia, therefore it is a part of the asian community.

As of the support, I think only we can help ourselves "grow". I dont know how the American's/Euro's can make the Asian/Australasian community "grow". If you really want the Australasian community to "grow", go tell your friends to play this game. Please work on the diction....Please.

Karnage

Private Tester
I think that things will happen pretty organically really. Once the private servers are running you will get more people playing again because they can choose their ping. They will also become more close-knit and be able to choose maps to practice on as well as practice times etc. I think growth will just happen naturally. This is not something you can 'make' happen. I understand your intent here but really this thread is about as much as anyone can do to encourage community-building.

Immanent

Royalty, don't take this as me trying to tear your thread apart, I do appreciate your motive (I have made a thread like this since the start of L:OD but I let it die).

To make our community larger and stronger, mainly focusing on the Aussies, the Philippians and Mauritius islanders, all of which have so little members, they can hardly be called a community.
lol, philippians made me chuckle :), there are a lot of Filipinos that play legions quite frequently (I'd say atleast 10-15!), the rest not so much. The reason why is probably ping, but hopefully that will be addressed sometime in the near future!

It is primarily the groups own task to grow into a large community however, in order for the groups listed above to grow quickly and flourish, external help is needed.

The Americans should be ready to provide the same support for those groups who need it, and now that they are quite large, the Asian community should be the ones who primarily provide the support to the groups who need it, as the will ping well in the servers hosted by these groups.
I think the Americans (devs as well) have done an awesome job so far, I don't think we can really ask for more. The CA servers are a nice treat for the Far East players in Asia, and same with the JAP server. Well as far as I know, the asian servers were quite full once SG and JAP servers were put up, but now more have trickled out for whatever reasons.

Now I know I'm jumping the gun, as it expected that player hosted server won't be released untill around X-mas (my sources tell me), but we need to start thinking about how we can provide support to other communities, or help to develop our own.
Your sources are definitely wrong, they have given no time-estimate. I blame disci (trolol) for giving "false information" as he intended it for a sarcastic reply, which some players may not have already picked up!

• By occasionally joining the servers hosted by smaller groups or communities
  • By hopping on TS and talking to member of smaller groups or communities
This is being done, but not frequent enough!
I agree that it is always the players that are from smaller communities are always joining the larger communities just for the sake of playing. I don't think this is something that can be changed, it's human nature I guess.

ocarina_boy

I agree with Karnage. Everything will fall into place naturally when the private servers are up. No need to panic.

Immanent

I agree with Karnage. Everything will fall into place naturally when the private servers are up. No need to panic.
I also agree with ocarina, who agrees with Karnage! Player hosted servers will solve a lot of issues and will build legions overdrive from bottom to top!

Propkid

I don't think anything out of the ordinary needs to be done to help your community grow once the game is out of beta/the player hosted servers are up. Eventually there will be ads of the game circulating the Internet, everyone will start telling their friends about it etc. and servers will just start to fill up naturally. Like stated above.

DOS4/GW

I think the only way to grow the player base is to make the game more accessible. Every single one of my friends I've convinced to to try the game has quit quickly because of the brutal learning curve.

I'm not suggesting that we make the game easier, but it would be great if the game offered something that can easily be done by new players that is fun and allows for a good contribution to the team. I'm thinking deployables, repairing base equipment, manning turrets, etc. Indoor combat is comparatively easy, so it would be good to see some more interiors used.

I spent a great deal of time starting out in Tribes just repairing and deploying, hiding out in base protecting generators, and I was happy as a clam.

So yeah. Base assets. Deployables.

Fixious

Test Lead
Focusing specifically on region growth won't do a whole lot for this community. Advertising in general would help a bit, be it more Americans or Euros. The more the merrier, no matter where they come from. As for how, who knows. You could get lucky and have a popular YouTube user showcase the game. I know RPS wrote an article about L:O when it was first 'announced', so maybe they'd do another if someone sent them a tip saying the game is now open (when the time comes). LAN parties are another option, though I myself have never been to one nor plan on going to one in the near future. I've tried showing the game to friends but it didn't stick with them. If the devs have a better idea I'd like to hear it. I doubt professional advertising is within their budget.

If worst comes to worst we could beg for a few TW members to give it another go...

Dacil

how many of those members are aliases? a lot. and how to grow the community? maybe "pros" shouldn't be so discouraging, rocketing new bloods in the face over and over when it's clear by their gameplay they are new...they should also stop being general ass-hats to new players. that's how.

i agree with karnage to an extent....you can't make it happen, but there's many in game that can hinder it, and it happens way too frequently (everytime).

TriX

I think the only way to grow the player base is to make the game more accessible. Every single one of my friends I've convinced to to try the game has quit quickly because of the brutal learning curve.

I'm not suggesting that we make the game easier, but it would be great if the game offered something that can easily be done by new players that is fun and allows for a good contribution to the team. I'm thinking deployables, repairing base equipment, manning turrets, etc. Indoor combat is comparatively easy, so it would be good to see some more interiors used.

I spent a great deal of time starting out in Tribes just repairing and deploying, hiding out in base protecting generators, and I was happy as a clam.

So yeah. Base assets. Deployables.

I agree with Dos on this one a lot, any friend I have gotten to play has just quit after one try at the game. So yea anything in the game that they can focus on doing would be great instead of just walking up to the flag llamaing and then getting killed which is what we see new players do a lot.

Immanent

I agree with Dos on this one a lot, any friend I have gotten to play has just quit after one try at the game. So yea anything in the game that they can focus on doing would be great instead of just walking up to the flag llamaing and then getting killed which is what we see new players do a lot.
It's because they are too used to these damn FPS that aren't Z-Axis. Once you blatantly point out you have freaking jetpacks and can fly without any constrictions, they will learn to love provided some useful tutorials or something...

TriX

True say, most of my friends are just COD fan boys. Whenever they watch me play they are like "How do you fly like that!?" or "How can you aim like that?!", and I'm just like if you actually sat down and tried playing this game you'll enjoy as much as I do. It has the best game play that I have played so far.

Disci

Old man
Just played Tribes1 and enjoyed it like never before. GG Legions, you can't ever be as good game as T1 is.

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
maybe "pros" shouldn't be so discouraging, rocketing new bloods in the face over and over when it's clear by their gameplay they are new
I have no one else to play with...................................
tumblr_l0wasrj8qt1qbch4xo1_500.jpg