New Player

Crude

I'm a new player coming from T:A wanting a better game to play. Legions seems to be a much better game than ascend. I made this thread to ask for tips/help for a new player coming from tribes. Is there anything I should know?

k e v i n

Private Tester
I'm a new player coming from T:A wanting a better game to play. Legions seems to be a much better game than ascend. I made this thread to ask for tips/help for a new player coming from tribes. Is there anything I should know?
well first i'd like to say welcome to legions:D
you started out by doing a good thing....asking for help

since ur from tribes, you would already know u need to ski to pretty much go anywhere, and you need to lead ur shots when shooting

some tips/tricks....play legions a lot and learn from other players in the game, you can always press T to talk to everyone (ask questions) or Y to jus talk to ur own team...better yet, jus press esc and go to keybindings

videos do help a lot jus like that link _dominator_ posted

this could also help http://forums.legionsoverdrive.com/threads/rockeyrexs-script-depot.839/

Crisis12096

For videos - http://forums.legionsoverdrive.com/threads/legions-capping-skill-and-other-videos.703/. Check some out.
Edit: Already posted above, oops.

As stated before, since you have experience with Tribes (the same genre as legions), it won't be hard to get into this game. I imagine you already know how to type in chat, and that puts you ahead of a lot of the other new players we get.

Some things you should know:
This game is different - yes, same genre, but circle strafing doesn't really exist here. We have down jetting, which is something you'll use quite a bit while dueling and skiing. Personally, I feel that skiing is a bit smoother on Legions, but it could just be my bias opinion telling me legions is vastly superior, but let's not get into which game is better right now. Dueling is about the same speed here as it is in Ascend, so it's definitely easy to get into.
There's a huge update coming up soon, you can find more details regarding this by reading the blog (accessed by clicking the Blog tab at the top of the page).
Legions Cores are just about the same as Tribes packs.

Finally, we use Teamspeak 3. ts3.legionsoverdrive.com - no password. Jump in if you have any questions/need help or just want to pug. New players are welcomed, there is no skill requirement, we just try to have fun with it. Do be sure to follow instructions the captain gives you though, play whatever position is assigned to you.
If I forgot anything, let me know. This is all I can think of at the moment.

Fixious

Test Lead
I'd recommend changing your controls a bit since you're a Tribes player. The default controls can be a bit confusing. Set Jet/Up Combo to Right Mouse and Activate Jets to Space (or whatever you prefer to ski with). Learning the downjet feature (shift and space) is a must.

The game is currently a very stripped down version of Tribes; essentially LT. No gens, base turrets, deployables, forcefields, mines, etc. Just 2 teams and 2 flags. An update (see blog) will be coming along relatively soon™ that will introduce deployables and generators, among other stuffs. But the community does realize that the lack of any kind of tutorial hurts potential newcomers. We've been wanting to put together one for a while now. For the time being either create your own game by yourself and mess around, or hop in a game and learn the ropes.

We've been aiming to have PUGs every night on TS3 (ts3.legionsoverdrive.com) as well, which is also a good learning tool (just like Tribes).

Severance

Private Tester
We've been aiming to have PUGs every night on TS3 (ts3.legionsoverdrive.com) as well, which is also a good learning tool (just like Tribes).

wait, wat? I should get in on those. Do they still take 30mins to form for one shitty game?

Crisis12096

Hell yeah. People make pugs to d a m n complicated. Even though there are pugs almost every night. You can have a nap before one starts.

There's nothing complicated about them. The problem is getting players to get into ts3 to pug, there a lot of people who only plays pubs that if they pugged we could get some very nice games going. If we have the players though, it doesn't take THAT long for people to begin picking, 5 minutes maximum.
Sometimes though, you can get into ts3 and everybody's quiet like something awkward just happened and everybody is too uncomfortable to talk.
But yeah, pugs happen.

To all the players who are hesitant about getting to ts3 to pug - Do it, they're fun and make you better. You won't regret it, unless Angel is there, he might leave early and make you a man down(after complaining how long one takes to start), but only sometimes.

MJ1284

Well...
1. Launch Legions: Overdrive
2. Stare at server list for 10 minutes
3. Once you realize nobody is playing, close Legions and do something else
4. Come back after 30 minutes, look at server list to figure out nobody is still playing
5. Repeat steps 1-4 fifteen times a day and you MIGHT get to play on populated server. If not, skip to step 8
6. Enjoy your Match Of The Day (if you're lucky it'll last more than 5 minutes... if teams are remotely balanced)
7. Witness everyone leave after MotD
8. Close Legions: Overdrive
9. Make a smurf accounts and piss everyone off

... or has anything actually changed since last time I checked?

RockeyRex

Legions Developer
Well...
1. Launch Legions: Overdrive
2. Stare at server list for 10 minutes
3. Once you realize nobody is playing, close Legions and do something else
4. Come back after 30 minutes, look at server list to figure out nobody is still playing
5. Repeat steps 1-4 fifteen times a day and you MIGHT get to play on populated server. If not, skip to step 8
6. Enjoy your Match Of The Day (if you're lucky it'll last more than 5 minutes... if teams are remotely balanced)
7. Witness everyone leave after MotD
8. Close Legions: Overdrive
9. Make a smurf accounts and piss everyone off

... or has anything actually changed since last time I checked?
Yes. You have more hair on your tiny balls.

Burn!.jpg

Freeman

RAYTANG
So let me get this straight: One sarcastic joke = one week ban + immature insult from developer?
*sigh* And you keep wondering why people are leaving this game...
except it wasnt just ONE sarcastic joke. the majority of your posts have been about how much this game/community/everything sucks.

i remember how you claimed that you would quit this game in the second IA forums, and yet you came back. why are you still here if you hate this game so much?
is your life that uneventful that you have to resort to bashing a game?

MJ1284

except it wasnt just ONE sarcastic joke. the majority of your posts have been about how much this game/community/everything sucks.
I prefer calling it constructive feedback.

i remember how you claimed that you would quit this game in the second IA forums, and yet you came back. why are you still here if you hate this game so much?
Game itself ain't half bad (besides llama encouraging map design on many CTF maps), it's just majority of people playing it.
Did anyone care if Pubs are sucky? No.
Did anyone care if teams weren't even remotely balanced on Pubs? No.
Was there intentional TK/player harrassment occuring in Pubs on daily basis? Yes.
Were moderators able to handle these situations? Maybe 15% of the time, if you were on IRC channel 24/7 and immediately Alt+Tabbed when you detected harassing/trolling.
Were PUGs/competetive games ever successfully organised? 1/10 times and even then you'd get to play max 2 maps before everyone left.
Should it be a struggle to find a server that isn't either full or empty 24/7? No.
Does the game look appealing to newcomers? I really doubt it.
Does it have anything to do with things I listed above? Perhaps?
Legions has potential to be a great game but it's being squandered by bad community consisting mostly of egoists & bitter "Waah none of mah friends wanna play this game!" elitists and fairly infrequent updates.

is your life that uneventful that you have to resort to bashing a game?
I just like irritating elitists I mentioned above (once every 2-4 months or so). I fail to understand why people are so obsessed over a game that has no future and why they are so hell bent on convincing themselves and their friends why "Leejunz is best gaym evah".
How many developers & moderators have abandoned the game? How many active players are left (not counting smurf accounts)?

If you don't want to see my posts about how much this game/community/everything sucks just permban and delete me, problem solved. I actually took the *dancing* time to promote the game via videos in hopes of encouraging people to try the game, that's more than most members have EVER done for the game. Had I know how ungrateful the whole community is and how they don't WANT the game to succeed I wouldn't have bothered with any of that.

I hoped more people like Disci, ZhouYu, Buhlitz, phanakapan and pullute would show up, instead game was "blessed" with players like MAPUBARE, ronshytheking and MightySheep (to name a few)... so even if you DID find a server you could play on chances were 8/10 players were either trolls or complete pricks not interested in having fun and fair CTF matches and kept repeating "doesn't matter, pubs suck". Sounds fun right? This is why you're calling "Leejunz best gaym evah" right? Feel free to explain, I'm listening.

TL;DR: There's no point in posting suggestions or feedback, nothing is going to change and other players (all 40 of them) will just end up hating you for trying to improve the game. Oh and Public matches suck and nobody cares/everybody is too lazy to do anything about it, so don't even bother trying to enjoy them.

I think I'm done now, you can now permban me if you like. Might as well delete my profile and all my posts while you're at it.

BugsPray

Legions Developer
<a lot of stuff>
I'm sorry to hear your experience with Legions was less than desirable. I for one enjoyed watching your movies, and so did Munge, and I'm sure most of the community enjoyed them as well. I never really got to play with you because you were Euro - sad. :(

We've never banned anyone for having a respectfully negative (and some of the stuff you said is realistic) view of Legions, much less deleted their profile or posts.

A note on devs: I'm sure it's been overstated, but the devs are all volunteers, and I can tell you they've been working their asses off in their free time for 1.40 and will be working for many months on "what is to come next." Granted, that does mean updates are less frequent than with a AAA title or other indie games, but if you look at the game over time, updates have been fairly regular even if they are far apart.

The community is certainly dwindling nowadays, but whatever remains is going to be critical to the success of the grass-roots marketing push we're planning for the New Legions. In fact, MJ, I think your participation would be much appreciated if you're interestd. Shoot me a PM if you are.

Freeman

RAYTANG
I prefer calling it constructive feedback.
noted

Did anyone care if Pubs are sucky? No.
Did anyone care if teams weren't even remotely balanced on Pubs? No.
well what could have been done? yes the majority of pubs have less then skilled players, but without a tutorial there wasnt much that couldve been done.
Was there intentional TK/player harrassment occuring in Pubs on daily basis? Yes.
Were moderators able to handle these situations? Maybe 15% of the time, if you were on IRC channel 24/7 and immediately Alt+Tabbed when you detected harassing/trolling.
cant say for sure how the euro pubs are/were, no point for me to tell you about NA pubs. it couldve been the lack of euro admins idk

Were PUGs/competetive games ever successfully organised? 1/10 times and even then you'd get to play max 2 maps before everyone left.
maybe it had to do with the fact that there were less euro players in general compared to NA? im not sure how many games youre expecting tbh, two full games already take 50 mins, and i dont know about you, but its tiring to be playing legions for almost an hour straight.

Should it be a struggle to find a server that isn't either full or empty 24/7? No.
again i think its cause the lack of euro players. dont really know.

Legions has potential to be a great game but it's being squandered by bad community consisting mostly of egoists & bitter "Waah none of mah friends wanna play this game!" elitists and fairly infrequent updates.
yeah the updates are slow, but thats to be expected from a dev team composed of volunteers :shurg:
as for "wah none of meh friends wanna play this game" like 4 people actually complain about that. but its mostly cause this games too hard for them or something silly.

I fail to understand why people are so obsessed over a game that has no future and why they are so hell bent on convincing themselves and their friends why "Leejunz is best gaym evah".
well personally speaking, i have fun while i play. ive found a good bunch of players who i think are cool and enjoy playing with. that alone is enough for me to look past legions' imperfections and still enjoy the game. (not jicker, he sucks)

How many developers & moderators have abandoned the game? How many active players are left (not counting smurf accounts)?
im guessing a handful

I actually took the *dancing* time to promote the game via videos in hopes of encouraging people to try the game, that's more than most members have EVER done for the game. Had I know how ungrateful the whole community is and how they don't WANT the game to succeed I wouldn't have bothered with any of that.
"you either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain". i hope more people will remember you for your skill montages then other things.

so even if you DID find a server you could play on chances were 8/10 players were either trolls or complete pricks not interested in having fun and fair CTF matches and kept repeating "doesn't matter, pubs suck". Sounds fun right? This is why you're calling "Leejunz best gaym evah" right? Feel free to explain, I'm listening.
quality of NA pubs have gone up quite a bit, more players actually understand how to play now (could be smurfs, but whateva)

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Personally, I think there still is a decent handful of people playing legions often enough. I reckon only about 1/20 people are actually smurfs.