My observations on American PuGs

Immanent

This is a little bit similar to kissy face rox's thread, but it's from my point of view:
The aim of this thread is to help improve PuGs, but not only directed to the American's. I'm sure the Azns and the Euros can learn a few things here and there if they haven't already.

Okay, so I've played 2 American PuGs, which were high quality.
The people were friendly, but I remember a captain swearing or typing in caps directed at their own teammate that they were doing something wrong. So this is a thread about my feedback on how these PuG's can be improved from MY point of view, seeing as I'm an outsider.

1) The maps. Perhaps more people may be needed to be given private server admin, because it actually is the same old same old frostbyte. I probably assume that you guys are already sick of it. There simply needs to be more variety (elegiac, fallout, moonshine, STYGIAN EVEN).
2) The choosing of the players. Don't just simply pick the BEST OF THE BEST players. It's just really dumb, because you know who's gonna win. Pro tip: Don't leave the high pingers till the very last pick. More often than not, they are actually worth an early pick. In my most recent American PuG I was picked last because few of the captains were familiar with me, and I got 4 caps, coincidence? I think not.
3) Kind of linking to the first point made, but anything more than a 7v7 on Frostbyte, Nivosus, or Moonshine just gets too laggy and cluttered. Please select the appropriate size maps for the number of players.

I will add more to my observations list, but this is meant to be positive and constructive feedback, I'm not trying to put you guys down or anything.

Happy Pugging,
Immanent

coincidence? OMG I WAS SO LUCKY.
fixed
and
1) The admin doesn't control the map selection
2) Pro tip: captains choose whoever they want with the order they want
3) simple solution: if everybody or the most is ok with it then it will mostly be played, if not then they mostly will change the map
and what probably happened is the people who were not ok with it didn't say anything and one of them started a thread about it

Fixious

Test Lead
I played PuGs for a few weeks, then got tired of a some things(mainly player-related. I'll name names if you want). Took a break, then decided to give them another go tonight. Same crap happened again, and I'll be taking another break, perhaps permanent.

Though to be honest I don't have a problem with Frostbyte and Zenith getting the majority of playtime. Fallout is only played when there are a lot of people available for a pug(10v10), which seems to be getting rarer and rarer these days. FB and Z are fun, and that's all I care about.

Immanent

fixed
and
1) The admin doesn't control the map selection
2) Pro tip: captains choose whoever they want with the order they want
3) simple solution: if everybody or the most is ok with it then it will mostly be played, if not then they mostly will change the map
and what probably happened is the people who were not ok with it didn't say anything and one of them started a thread about it
1) Channel admins in teamspeak can not change the private server map, only private server admins can.
2) People with you attitude run all these pugs into the ground. I can imagine a captain pickings stacked team, let's say: mabel, Freeman, prototype, nil and others on one team. To be honest, that is designed purely for winning and less for the fun. I mean in pugs, people tend to pick people that they don't have fun with but are just good players. So chose fun over winning. Winning can be done in pubs.
3) A lot of people have been complaining about the same maps being played all the time so...

Also, I don't known if "OMG I'm so lucky!" was intended to be a joke or what, but seeing as I've never played with you in a pug, don't even try to criticize me. I was capping in 280 ping against Mabel proto Freeman nil and others and manage to get 4/10 caps. So don't even try to get me on my playing skill or any crap like that, because I'm damn sure you CANT put up those numbers in my ping against those people.

More observations and feedback!

Immanent

2) that is why it's called a Pick up game, choose carefully and you win

don't make your incapability your excuse
I was capping in 280 ping against Mabel proto Freeman nil and others and manage to get 4/10 caps.
More observations and feedback!

High or low ping, 4 caps is still good.
This thread isn't for comparing skill levels or my making excuses. It's about feedback, and each reply from you is further derailment of the topic.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
I'm sure the Azns and the Euros can learn a few things here and there if they haven't already.

Euro pugs are pretty perfect now, thanks to Kissys thread. The issues that you mnetioned in your post, are the same ones in that thread. Most of them have been dealt with.

Okay, so I've played 2 American PuGs, which were high quality.

And you're saying that there are problems?

The people were friendly, but I remember a captain swearing or typing in caps directed at their own teammate that they were doing something wrong. So this is a thread about my feedback on how these PuG's can be improved from MY point of view, seeing as I'm an outsider.

Yadayada that depends on a captain (mentions some arrogant american here) An outsiders point of view isn't particularly useful though, espicially seeing as the same issues are coming up.

1) The maps. Perhaps more people may be needed to be given private server admin, because it actually is the same old same old frostbyte. I probably assume that you guys are already sick of it. There simply needs to be more variety (elegiac, fallout, moonshine, STYGIAN EVEN).
2) The choosing of the players. Don't just simply pick the BEST OF THE BEST players. It's just really dumb, because you know who's gonna win. Pro tip: Don't leave the high pingers till the very last pick. More often than not, they are actually worth an early pick. In my most recent American PuG I was picked last because few of the captains were familiar with me, and I got 4 caps, coincidence? I think not.
3) Kind of linking to the first point made, but anything more than a 7v7 on Frostbyte, Nivosus, or Moonshine just gets too laggy and cluttered. Please select the appropriate size maps for the number of players.

1. You newb, captains pick the maps. If more people were given server admin, it wouldn't make a difference / Server admins only step in when there is very strong opposing to the map chosen.
2. It is a competitive game, captains want to win, me inlcuded. I try and prevent massive team stacking with my picks, but this sometimes isn't always possible. If you're not getting picked due to not playing enough and captains not knowing who you are, play some more. I don't like to pick people who I've never picked before early. I want to go for safe, good picks - people I know who can perform. Also, having played only two games doesn't exactly make you an expert on the subject.
3. The only point I agree on. If this is still going on, then god save American pickups. I really don't think American pickups are now as 'dire' as you just described them. Perhaps in the past, but I believe there has been some change.

Immanent

Euro pugs are pretty perfect now, thanks to Kissys thread. The issues that you mnetioned in your post, are the same ones in that thread. Most of them have been dealt with.

And you're saying that there are problems?
2 recently (forgot to mention), i have been in a few other dysfunctional pugs.

An outsiders point of view isn't particularly useful though, espicially seeing as the same issues are coming up.
"From the outside, you can see things from a different perspective than from the middle."

1. You newb, captains pick the maps. If more people were given server admin, it wouldn't make a difference / Server admins only step in when there is very strong opposing to the map chosen.
Immanent said:
The maps. Perhaps more people may be needed to be given private server admin

A lot of time was spent fumbling around to find a private server admin to get a map.

3. The only point I agree on. If this is still going on, then god save American pickups. I really don't think American pickups are now as 'dire' as you just described them. Perhaps in the past, but I believe there has been some change.
Meh.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
2 recently (forgot to mention), i have been in a few other dysfunctional pugs.

Orly? Never seen you play one.

"From the outside, you can see things from a different perspective than from the middle."

"And from the outside, your thoughts don't matter to 'them'"

A lot of time was spent fumbling around to find a private server admin to get a map.

That makes no sense, A server admin changes the map - and there are plenty of them the last time I played. Unless ts3 admins are just handing out channel admin to random people who can't actually change the map.

Also, your original quote didn't make much sense in regards to what more private server admins were needed for.

Dacil

lol this is why pugs will never change, b/c ppl dont listen nor enforce changes (as they said they would)...good luck with your patience immanent, you'll need it and I mean that sincerely

Immanent

Bingo. I guess because I am also "Observing American Pickups".
Orly? Never seen you play one.
I really don't think it matters that you don't see me playing in American Pugs, because we live in different parts of the world (6-7 hours time difference) so that is probably why.

"And from the outside, your thoughts don't matter to 'them'"

My thoughts are meant to be constructive, but if they don't want to take them into account, then it's their loss I guess. ;)

That makes no sense, A server admin changes the map - and there are plenty of them the last time I played. Unless ts3 admins are just handing out channel admin to random people who can't actually change the map.

Stuff like this actually happens. I believe Nighthawk043 is a Channel Admin in Ts3 PuG server (sorry for bringing you into this by the way, but I'm just trying to prove a point) but I also believe that he does not have private server admin.

Also, your original quote didn't make much sense in regards to what more private server admins were needed for.

Well, a solution would be: Make sure that ALL TS3 PuG Channel Admins have Private Server admin so that there is no time wasted trying to set up a map.

lol this is why pugs will never change, b/c ppl dont listen nor enforce changes (as they said they would)...good luck with your patience immanent, you'll need it and I mean that sincerely
Heh, thanks Dacil, I'm a patient guy.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
I really don't think it matters that you don't see me playing in American Pugs, because we live in different parts of the world (6-7 hours time difference) so that is probably why.

I thought you were referring to playing in Euro pickups there. Be more careful with quoting :(

Stuff like this actually happens. I believe Nighthawk043 is a Channel Admin in Ts3 PuG server (sorry for bringing you into this by the way, but I'm just trying to prove a point) but I also believe that he does not have private server admin.

Yarr, same thing in Europe. It can cause confusion to who has got that power, and who hasn't.

Well, a solution would be: Make sure that ALL TS3 PuG Channel Admins have Private Server admin so that there is no time wasted trying to set up a map.

Yeah well, who are we to say this stuff? We're just outsiders ;)

Immanent

1)I thought you were referring to playing in Euro pickups there. Be more careful with quoting :(

2)Yarr, same thing in Europe. It can cause confusion to who has got that power, and who hasn't.

3)Yeah well, who are we to say this stuff? We're just outsiders ;)
1) Sorry, I'll try to make it clear next time, my bad >.>
2) So in europe it's just Application...?
3) :(

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
1) Sorry, I'll try to make it clear next time, my bad >.>
2) So in europe it's just Application...?

1) No worries, mistakes happen mate ;)
2) Essentially, I've asked GReaper for server admin when he is not around so I can run the thing because I seem the only one who can/wants to. (Albeit the admin isn't permanent and I have to report back to Greaper once I'm done)

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Nope. And while we're at it, I finally might find time for some PuGs during the next days again.

I don't exactly know how has got it and who hasn't! Anyhow, good to hear that you want to try a few again - see ya later then.

Freeman

RAYTANG
Also, I don't known if "OMG I'm so lucky!" was intended to be a joke or what, but seeing as I've never played with you in a pug, don't even try to criticize me. I was capping in 280 ping against Mabel proto Freeman nil and others and manage to get 4/10 caps.

probably cause proto d/c half way throughout the game.

And its a team effort. You might have gotten the grab, but the rest of your team did everything in their power to make sure you got the cap.

Application-1

test bester
I am the more active server admin that is around yes. But as said GReaper sometimes give other people server admin so that a few games can be played. Wich makes me wonder, i was gone for a mid week so were there any pugs organised? I keep thinking that it is stupid that if I am not around people are not really playing pugs. Asking GReaper to start anything wich may take some time is not always that awful either.