Making Money for Servers

BugsPray

Legions Developer
This is both a good question and a very likely outcome. Fortunately, there is little to no reason for IAC to pursue them legally since the team did have permission from IA. Of course, IA no longer exists and so the question of whether or not they still have permission to run the game is a bit tenuous. Luckily, nobody cares enough about this game to do anything about it. If IAC feels that they can make money off of the IP, however, Bugsco will receive a quick cease and desist at which time we'll no longer be allowed to play the game.
This is a pretty good summary. I will also add some clarity: The purpose of our original proposal to IA was to help with the long downtime we all experienced during the "platform upgrade" last year. We were hoping to push out some new content and keep everyone happy and interested until IA got their traction and could pick it back up again. IA's departure gained us some freedom to set the sights a little higher (as you saw in the State of the Empire Address).

Is it likely that IAC will shut us down? There's always a likelihood for something. Hopefully, if we do get the shutdown notice from IAC because they think they can make money off, it means they are ready to pick the game back up and develop it more - that's a win in our book, since it means Legions will be getting the money and resource backing it deserves. In the meantime, you're all playing Legions - another win. :)

Fixious

Test Lead
If we could do all this we probably would've done it already. We're currently reasonably happy with the current situation - as long as the cost of the servers is covered.

Also - adverts are a no. Chances are you guys would constantly click on them thinking you'd be helping out, but we'd probably end up with months worth of adverts being shown on the site only for us to receive nothing. It's not even worth going through the hassle.

Just give us audio ads before matches. Make sure there aren't any volume controls, too.

DKnight556

Is it likely that IAC will shut us down? There's always a likelihood for something. Hopefully, if we do get the shutdown notice from IAC because they think they can make money off, it means they are ready to pick the game back up and develop it more - that's a win in our book, since it means Legions will be getting the money and resource backing it deserves.

This worries me a little. If IAC does take back legions then most likely they will no longer let us give suggestions,test the new maps, work with the devs, and be there during development. These forums would also be taken down due to the copyright infringement and this would again create some downtime, the time of which could not be predicted. Also, with all the work you guys have done to the game and the new maps you have made. Will IAC just throw them away or keep them and will they give you guys compensation for all the time you have put in to this wonderful game and community?

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
This worries me a little. If IAC does take back legions then most likely they will no longer let us give suggestions,test the new maps, work with the devs, and be there during development. These forums would also be taken down due to the copyright infringement and this would again create some downtime, the time of which could not be predicted. Also, with all the work you guys have done to the game and the new maps you have made. Will IAC just throw them away or keep them and will they give you guys compensation for all the time you have put in to this wonderful game and community?

While these are valid concerns, I imagine that IAC would be quite grateful to the developer team for doing this, and in other words - making a game for free (which they then could potentially charge us for). I don't think they'll push us away though, we are their fanbase and consumer base. The chances of them taking it back (at least atm) I believe is quite low.

RisingSun

Private Tester
This is a pretty good summary. I will also add some clarity: The purpose of our original proposal to IA was to help with the long downtime we all experienced during the "platform upgrade" last year. We were hoping to push out some new content and keep everyone happy and interested until IA got their traction and could pick it back up again. IA's departure gained us some freedom to set the sights a little higher (as you saw in the State of the Empire Address).

Is it likely that IAC will shut us down? There's always a likelihood for something. Hopefully, if we do get the shutdown notice from IAC because they think they can make money off, it means they are ready to pick the game back up and develop it more - that's a win in our book, since it means Legions will be getting the money and resource backing it deserves. In the meantime, you're all playing Legions - another win. :)

Basically , "They" did the nice thing and made it a win-win for us no matter what, yeah we might have "downtime" here and there but it all works out in the end. The new content that is coming out excites me and should excite everyone else, It will change alot though. SOOO I say good work to all the legions developers

Doing_a_good_job6.jpg

Mahidhar

I'd rather have some small-time company other than IA, get hold of the game and develop it. IA had it's chance.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
I'd rather have some small-time company other than IA, get hold of the game and develop it. IA had it's chance.
IA is dead, we're talking about IAC here, they own the Leejunz IP (as they owned IA as it went under). Just to make that clear. Also, IA was quite a "small-time company".

Disci

Old man

Why not have the current dev team do their thing? Why would Legions be better at the hands of people who has no idea what community wants and what path the game has gone through to be the game it is today?

DKnight556

Is the contract with IAC or IA? Cause if it is with IA and IA did not transfer all assets to IAC we might have a chance to take legal rights of the game.

Mahidhar

Why not have the current dev team do their thing? Why would Legions be better at the hands of people who has no idea what community wants and what path the game has gone through to be the game it is today?

Why wouldn't Legions be a better game in the hands of professionals, who are actually getting paid to develop the game? Why do you assume that the company taking up the project would just close shut it's ears to the community? I'm not saying that the current developers are incompetent, but they are definitely not putting aside their lives for the game, neither would I want them to. No matter how dedicated they may seem, the game's a part time for them, and it will receive only that much effort and time.

@Gheist Whatever you say.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Why wouldn't Legions be a better game in the hands of professionals, who are actually getting paid to develop the game? Why do you assume that the company taking up the project would just close shut it's ears to the community? I'm not saying that the current developers are incompetent, but they are definitely not putting aside their lives for the game, neither would I want them to. No matter how dedicated they may seem, the game's a part time for them, and it will receive only that much effort and time.

So you have a lack of trust with them? I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't of brought the game back to us if they only 'part-cared' for it.

w00tyou

building on Disci's argument
Why wouldn't Legions be a better game in the hands of professionals, who are actually getting paid to develop the game?
There aren't that many people who come from a tribes and legions background to develop this game. Sure you can get a bunch of pro game devs, but they don't know *chocolate cookies* about what is legions and what makes it fun. They could ruin it.
If we actually paid the current devs we would see updates much quicker then now.

Now, we can't make any money off this game what soever, IAC can shut us down (for the good or worse), updates are crawling and activity is slow.
What we can do, Play legions and more of it. The more people who play gives a demand by us, thus the devs can suppy their services and volunteer work.

PLAY IN DISCI'S TOURNEY.

Are you allowed to make money by selling t-shirts/other merchandise/anything else, if the profit went to helping make new servers/keep the current one running?
No.

helping make new servers
This is iffy

Mahidhar

So you have a lack of trust with them? I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't of brought the game back to us if they only 'part-cared' for it.
You did not seem to understand what I really meant. I never said that they did not care for the game. Saying so now(after seeing all that they have achieved), is really ridiculous. Heck, they may even care for the game more than any game developer on a pay roll, ever would. All I'm saying is that, anyone, who's developing a free-to-play game, would/can never put the money, resources, time and effort as they would, when developing a pay-to-play game. Same goes for Legions.

@ wootyou The people who get paid to develop this game, will have all the tools and personnel they need, to actually complete it. Now, would you say that about L:O developers? Do they really have the manpower/money/resources to make this game look, feel and smell like the retail ones out in the market?

"but they don't know *chocolate cookies* about what is legions and what makes it fun. They could ruin it."

Funny, you say that. Legions is shell of a game, it's supposed to be. This has been said by many before me. So, do you really think it's going to take them so long to learn about this game? Is Legions so complicated a game, that they'll have trouble knowing what makes it fun? Still, I do agree with you that they can ruin it, but we never know.